Dewayne Wise Declares Free Agency

SoxFan1

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
I agree he should be gone. I would say for a guy considered a total liability, he's been a decent member of the White Sox.

I don't understand why so many people hate a No. 25 roster guy; or care about him that much.

I am tempted to point out the names of some guys who deserve a lot of criticism for their play this year, but seem to get a free pass by many.

Wise at least did his job reasonably well; he was a decent No. 25 man; outfield sub, sub with speed.

Oh wait ... the guys that failed have track records. Wise has none. And on it goes.

I don't know why you say Wise isn't fast. Especially on our team he looked like Edwin Moses in his prime compared to most of our plodders. Another reason he was good to have around.

Just because he's faster than Konerko doesn't mean he has great speed. That's awful logic. You have to stop comparing things that are not comparable, you end up jumping to false conclusions. Were you watching the Yankees game? Did you see Brett Gardner run? Have you seen a scrub like Joey Gathright? Wise can't compare to that.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just needed to be repeated.

Why? Is your opinion that much better than mine and anybody else who dares stand up for Wise? Just asking what you meant by that. I'll never back off on my feeling Wise is a very good option at last man on a roster. If you are saying your opinion is the only one that matters then you are mistaken.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)
Why? Is your opinion that much better than mine and anybody else who dares stand up for Wise? Just asking what you meant by that. I'll never back off on my feeling Wise is a very good option at last man on a roster. If you are saying your opinion is the only one that matters then you are mistaken.

Boy you can read into words pretty well...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)

Good lord you took that one and ran with it didn't you. I'm saying that your upper body must be buff from beating all those dead horses and tearing down strawmen.

I'm not trying to berate you I'm just trying to not have to read the same thing over... and over... and over... I get it, you hate Swisher, you hate Dotel, you hate Rios but you say you're giving him a clean slate next spring, you think any criticism of Pods and Dye is off-limits, you think people should get off Wise's case, and you also attach far more significance to his catch than you probably should. I'm pretty sure I probably covered about 85% of it.

I'm not trying to berate you I'm just trying to not have to read the same thing over... and over... and over... I get it, you hate Swisher, you hate Dotel, you hate Rios but you say you're giving him a clean slate next spring, you think any criticism of Pods and Dye is off-limits, you think people should get off Wise's case, and you also attach far more significance to his catch than you probably should. I'm pretty sure I probably covered about 85% of it.

Wow, that is about it.

I also like Thome and would like him back; like Oz, don't blame Walker too much but wouldn't object if he was canned, am all for Freddy but don't want him to get fat, not crazy about Torres, want to upgrade from Castro as backup, hate the results of that 10 game road trip, not crazy about Getz but don't hate him, love Beckham and admit I panicked when he struggled early, don't want Bradley on our team, think KW is OK even though I didn't like losing Richard, don't like Randy Williams or most Royals relievers, respect AJP and Paulie, still think KW acquired Rios with ideas of winning it this year as well as the future, like Peavy's mound presence and just wish he could have pitched sooner, love Buehrle and Bobby.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 12:47 AM)
Wow, that is about it.

I also like Thome and would like him back; like Oz, don't blame Walker too much but wouldn't object if he was canned, am all for Freddy but don't want him to get fat, not crazy about Torres, want to upgrade from Castro as backup, hate the results of that 10 game road trip, not crazy about Getz but don't hate him, love Beckham and admit I panicked when he struggled early, don't want Bradley on our team, think KW is OK even though I didn't like losing Richard, don't like Randy Williams or most Royals relievers, respect AJP and Paulie, still think KW acquired Rios with ideas of winning it this year as well as the future, like Peavy's mound presence and just wish he could have pitched sooner, love Buehrle and Bobby.

Welp, your work here is done. Time to retire til April.

Greg I like the way you post. It's cool you remember Wise's moments (small to some not to you). I don't see any harm in what you're saying. All you're saying is you liked him as a 25th man. You're a Sox fan and you happen to like Sox players. They don't have to be a superstar. I don't see why anyone would try to talk you out of liking the guy by siting his stats. You already know he sucks , you're not disputing that.

When baseball really was America's game it was not because every fan knew sabremetrics and knew what bad habits players had. It was when the Yankees won a lot of the time and all the fans of other teams had were glimpses, small moments of the season to remember for yet another losing year. Ignorance was bliss. Now everybody is a know-it-all and they think they're better off. But all knowing-it-all means is you have more reasons to cry about the 25th man on a losing baseball team.

If it wasn't for people like you the world would be filled with cynics. So go ahead and raise your voice against the howling winds and appreciate the small moments. It's all you really need to be happy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
Oh please. It must be hard to see from sooooo high up on that horse.

Usually I love your posts. This one seems a bit out of character for you. He takes a lot of flak already for his opinions. I'm surprised you would join in with the rest of the wolf pack. Some of us are entertained by insults on a message board and being nice is boring . You're considered snooty if you mention you have higher standards . Greg is like Jesus on this board . :P

GMAFB, it does not take a sabermetric stat geek to see that a DeWayne Wise shouldn't get anywhere near as much playing time as he got with the Sox. You don't even need to see his stats at all. This isn't worth that much attention to be honest. Hence my post earlier.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
GMAFB, it does not take a sabermetric stat geek to see that a DeWayne Wise shouldn't get anywhere near as much playing time as he got with the Sox. You don't even need to see his stats at all. This isn't worth that much attention to be honest. Hence my post earlier.

For real. Your eyes should tell you he sucks.

Reminds of Ray Durham a few years back. I forgot which exact season it was but he was hitting in the .280s or something in May and I remember thinking to myself "Did he go 6 for 6 in the 5 games I didn't watch so far this season? The guy has done absolutely nothing whenever I turn on the tv." Seemed like he should be hitting under .100.

Problem with Wise is I know he never went 6 for 6 in the games I missed. He sucked in every game he played...minus 2 or 3 plays all year.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 10:08 AM)

Of course he shouldn't . I mean really who ever said he deserved more playing time or even deserved the time he got ? Who are you arguing with here ? Greg liked some moments with Wise and see's some value in the role he had .Is that so difficult to comprehend ? Yea the Sox sucked so let's all pick on Wise. Just sounds like bullying to some of us here. Pick on the weakest link. The guy hustled and gave it 100% ,saved MB's perfect game, had 4 OF assists, a pinch hit here and there, pinch ran for guys way slower than himself. Some times the underdog or the guy without the most talent can prove his worth to a team in small doses. It's happened plenty of times in the World Series just as the strongest link can suck over a short period.

It's gotten as much attention has it has because Wise seems to be a microcosm of arguments about sports in general. Some people just enjoy watching athletes compete at the highest level and for Wise to be in the major leagues means he's one of the most talented baseball players in the world. Now that's overlooked somewhat because he's one of the least talented players at the highest end of the food chain . Yes, in the major leagues he can derisively be called the "tallest midget" but it's certainly not incomprehensible that one can appreciate his talents for what they are.

It's always a mystery to me how a Carlos Quentin hits .235 and never takes much heat for it on these boards. Meanwhile the 25th man plays like a 25th man, and he's the butt of every joke.

Guy 1 didnt do what he was expected to do (in a high stakes role), Guy 2 produces what you'd expect in what for the most part was a low stakes role.

Now if Wise played too much, that is Ozzie's fault. Or KWs for not restocking the outfield last offseason (and then spending tons of future dollars midyear once enough crap teams had beaten us). But all the hate goes towards Wise for pretty much being what he is.

It happens each year it seems with all the different 25th men, Timo, etc. What are people here expecting? There are not enough great players to have each team feature this great hitting/fielding 25th man.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
It's always a mystery to me how a Carlos Quentin hits .235 and never takes any heat for it on these boards.

Meanwhile the 25th man plays like a 25th man, and he's the butt of every joke.

Guy 1 didnt do what he was expected to do, Guy 2 produces what you'd expect in what for the most part was a low stakes role.

Now if Wise played too much, that is Ozzie's fault. Or KWs for not restocking the outfield last offseason (and then spending tons of future dollars midyear once enough crap teams had beaten us). But all the hate goes towards Wise for pretty much being what he is.

It happens each year it seems with all the different 25th men, Timo, etc. What are people here expecting? There are not enough great players to have each team feature this great hitting/fielding 25th man.

I stopped reading when I noticed you were comparing Carlos Quentin to DeWayne Wise.

Carlos Quentin has never taken heat? Do you even read posts here?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
It's always a mystery to me how a Carlos Quentin hits .235 and never takes any heat for it on these boards.

Meanwhile the 25th man plays like a 25th man, and he's the butt of every joke.

Guy 1 didnt do what he was expected to do, Guy 2 produces what you'd expect in what for the most part was a low stakes role.

Carlos doesn't get a free pass around here...and he was injured, played only 99 games, and still hit 21HR with 56RBIs on what was an absolutely TERRIBLE year. Those are numbers Wise won't get in his absolute BEST year, while uninjured. 25th man in theory, he played so much you can't honestly consider him a 25th man...he was more like a 10th man...and he sucks.

Edited by Y2HH