Dewayne Wise Declares Free Agency

SoxFan1

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=327788

The Chicago White Sox announced that outfielder Dewayne Wise has declared free agency in lieu of accepting an outright assignment to Class AAA Charlotte.

Wise, 31, hit .225 (32-142) with two home runs and 11 RBI in a career-high 84 games with the White Sox in 2009. In two seasons with the Sox, Wise batted .236 (64-271) with eight homers and 29 RBI.

The White Sox 40-man roster is at 36

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
Good guy, best of luck, he'll probably get a minor league deal somewhere. He gets kind of a bad rap for being put in an impossible situation. Now to cull Lillibridge...

Please, explain to me this impossible situation. All he had to do to hold down a job was hit, major league baseball players hit, Dewayne Wise can't hit. Therefore, Dewayne Wise is not a major league baseball player.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
At 31 I'm guessing he may be thinking it is time to hang 'em up if he can't catch on with a mlb roster. Good luck with that.

i think its unlikely. he hasn't exactly raked in the cash. if he thinks he can sign with a squad and be first up as somoeone goes down, he has to take it for at least the possibility of some cash.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
Please, explain to me this impossible situation. All he had to do to hold down a job was hit, major league baseball players hit, Dewayne Wise can't hit. Therefore, Dewayne Wise is not a major league baseball player.

Define hit?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)

I would say the impossible situation was Ozzie declaring him the CF starter. Everyone, probably including Wise deep down, knew he was a marginal bench player and wasnt supposed to be counted on to be the starting CF. He was, and he did what everyone thought he would, hit poorly.

Players in baseball have roles, every one of them. Wise was stuck into a role that his career numbers dictated he should not have been.