White Sox talk new deal with Scott Podsednik's agent

kitekrazy

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
See, I tend to think the opposite. I think if they resign Pods it's because we're trying to avoid spending big. I think they have realized they can't just throw anyone into the spot like they did this year, but at the same time, the money just isn't there to acquire someone that's going to make $8 million + on the open market. My guess is the younger kids are going to be used to save money in the bullpen, Dotel, and possibly Jenks will be gone, we'll have an OF of Rios/Quentin/Pods (or some other vet that is serviceable), and the same basic infield and catching situation.

Given this, Kenny re-signing Pods to a one-year $5M deal would preclude them from giving Jenks a one-year deal at the $7M or so he'd command. Maybe we disagree on this, but I think re-signing Pods at the expense of Jenks would be a really bad idea. We need bullpen help BAD, and Bobby's a lot better at what he does than Pods is at what he does. And if you're convinced that Jenks is done (as some do), spending that money on a halfway decent OPS guy for the middle of the lineup still makes more sense than spending on a leadoff hitter with Getz already on the roster. I'll spend on a good bullpen arm and somebody to replace Thome/Dye before I even begin to worry about the leadoff spot.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 08:27 AM)
Given this, Kenny re-signing Pods to a one-year $5M deal would preclude them from giving Jenks a one-year deal at the $7M or so he'd command. Maybe we disagree on this, but I think re-signing Pods at the expense of Jenks would be a really bad idea. We need bullpen help BAD, and Bobby's a lot better at what he does than Pods is at what he does. And if you're convinced that Jenks is done (as some do), spending that money on a halfway decent OPS guy for the middle of the lineup still makes more sense than spending on a leadoff hitter with Getz already on the roster. I'll spend on a good bullpen arm and somebody to replace Thome/Dye before I even begin to worry about the leadoff spot.

Yeah, hard to argue too much with most of this...I mean either way you approach it, unless we make a trade to free up some cash or to acquire some cheaper players, we're going to have a few holes that we'll need to fill in with youngsters that come with some uncertainty.

My one issue is with Getz. For those who are suggesting he replace Podsednik as the leadoff hitter, I'm just wondering how that will work considering Getz simply cannot hit lefties.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)
My one issue is with Getz. For those who are suggesting he replace Podsednik as the leadoff hitter, I'm just wondering how that will work considering Getz simply cannot hit lefties.

Platooning him with Nix would be my first thought, although that brings up the problem of finding a leadoff hitter for those days. Can't say that I have an answer for that one.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 12:54 AM)
I am not the biggest believer that a certain position requires a certain amount of production... but...

You simply do not dh a hitter as poor as podsednik or any player of his ilk for any signifigant amount of plate appearances.

And this is the problem with Podsednik. He's just been too inconsistent offensively in his career to be relied on to be our DH. If I thought he could match his 2009 numbers in terms of OBP and SLG, while improving his baserunning a little bit, then I'd take him back in a heartbeat at a $5 million / 1 year deal to be our DH. Unfortunately, I see his AVG falling back in line with his career norms which woudl cripple any value he might have. Plus you know Ozzie would keep penciling him in the lineup day-in-day-out. I just don't see how Podsednik being our DH will work out again. Let's be happy he filled in nicely this year and move on to greener pastures.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 04:10 AM)
And this is the problem with Podsednik. He's just been too inconsistent offensively in his career to be relied on to be our DH. If I thought he could match his 2009 numbers in terms of OBP and SLG, while improving his baserunning a little bit, then I'd take him back in a heartbeat at a $5 million / 1 year deal to be our DH. Unfortunately, I see his AVG falling back in line with his career norms which woudl cripple any value he might have. Plus you know Ozzie would keep penciling him in the lineup day-in-day-out. I just don't see how Podsednik being our DH will work out again. Let's be happy he filled in nicely this year and move on to greener pastures.

Pods changed his hitting approach this year and was very consistent all season. He became more aggressive when he was ahead in the count, which led him to see more fastballs, him hitting the ball hard and increasing his SLG. And he also tried to make contact when he was behind. This led him to have a ton of IF hits. Barring injury, Pods' hitting shouldn't change much from his 2009 numbers. Esp. as he'd see less time in the field, Pods should be a solid bet to stay healthy and replicate his 2009 year.

I just think it would be hard to pass up signing a .300 hitter who can post an above league avg. OBP for a relatively cheap deal [which Pods should sign as he comes with risk]. The sox know the risk better than other teams and will probably be comfortable taking it.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 06:03 AM)
Pods changed his hitting approach this year and was very consistent all season. He became more aggressive when he was ahead in the count, which led him to see more fastballs, him hitting the ball hard and increasing his SLG. And he also tried to make contact when he was behind. This led him to have a ton of IF hits. Barring injury, Pods' hitting shouldn't change much from his 2009 numbers. Esp. as he'd see less time in the field, Pods should be a solid bet to stay healthy and replicate his 2009 year.

I just think it would be hard to pass up signing a .300 hitter who can post an above league avg. OBP for a relatively cheap deal [which Pods should sign as he comes with risk]. The sox know the risk better than other teams and will probably be comfortable taking it.

This whole notion that Pods is a new man now is kind of crazy. Check out his 2003 season. He was better in every way than he is now, yet the next season, and there were no injuries and he was in what should be the prime of his career, his numbers, except for SB, dropped drastically. He isn't going to steal 70 bases anymore and giving him anywhere near $5 million would be insane. He was a .300 hitter in 2009, that doesn't mean he will be anywhere near that in 2010. His baserunning and fielding are most likely only going to get worse.

Who knows, maybe all of baseball will agree with the point of view I have, and aren't all sold on Pods going from out of baseball to a top leadoff man overnight, and he will be available at a cheaper rate. He should follow the money and if a team wants to give him $5 million a year, he should take it. I just hope it isn't the White Sox. I feel the 2009 Pods was Cinderella and the clock struck midnight when the season ended.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
This whole notion that Pods is a new man now is kind of crazy. Check out his 2003 season. He was better in every way than he is now, yet the next season, and there were no injuries and he was in what should be the prime of his career, his numbers, except for SB, dropped drastically. He isn't going to steal 70 bases anymore and giving him anywhere near $5 million would be insane. He was a .300 hitter in 2009, that doesn't mean he will be anywhere near that in 2010. His baserunning and fielding are most likely only going to get worse.

Who knows, maybe all of baseball will agree with the point of view I have, and aren't all sold on Pods going from out of baseball to a top leadoff man overnight, and he will be available at a cheaper rate. He should follow the money and if a team wants to give him $5 million a year, he should take it. I just hope it isn't the White Sox. I feel the 2009 Pods was Cinderella and the clock struck midnight when the season ended.

It's not that he's a new man. It's that his style of hitting has changed. He used to wait for strikes, letting the FB's down the middle go by him esp. when he was ahead in the count. This year, he was swinging at them. Also, when he was behind in the count, Pods was slapping them on the ground to try and get IF hits. It worked. That kind of approach should also work in 2010--provided he sees most of the time at DH and only steals when given the sign to.

I just have a hard time seeing who out there via trade or free agency who can replace Pods' 2009 numbers--which the sox need. For 2010, Pods seems as good a choice as any.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 07:22 AM)
It's not that he's a new man. It's that his style of hitting has changed. He used to wait for strikes, letting the FB's down the middle go by him esp. when he was ahead in the count. This year, he was swinging at them. Also, when he was behind in the count, Pods was slapping them on the ground to try and get IF hits. It worked. That kind of approach should also work in 2010--provided he sees most of the time at DH and only steals when given the sign to.

I just have a hard time seeing who out there via trade or free agency who can replace Pods' 2009 numbers--which the sox need. For 2010, Pods seems as good a choice as any.

I think he will be a waste of money as he regresses to his norm. If he wants to work for what his entire piece of work his career would net him, which would be less than $2 million on a one year contract perhaps with some incentives, then fine, sign him up. But if someone is going to give him $4-5 million a year for a couple of years, and the Sox match it, they shouldn't be miffed when he doesn't live up to the contract, because there is a very slim chance he would.

I think he will be a waste of money as he regresses to his norm. If he wants to work for what his entire piece of work his career would net him, which would be less than $2 million on a one year contract perhaps with some incentives, then fine, sign him up. But if someone is going to give him $4-5 million a year for a couple of years, and the Sox match it, they shouldn't be miffed when he doesn't live up to the contract, because there is a very slim chance he would.

The only way I would sign Pods is for 1 year 2 mil base and incentives to DH only.I do not want him anywhere near the field.That being said we would need to get a LF and someone coming into his prime.

Edited by East Side Z

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
The only way I would sign Pods is for 1 year 2 mil base and incentives to DH only.I do not want him anywhere near the field.That being said we would need to get a LF and someone coming into his prime.

I wouldn't be surprised is that is the offer the Sox give him.

Was there ANYBODY who hustled more this year than Pods? When he first came back I thought it was a sign of how desperate we were; by the end of the season he was arguably our best player.

Bring him back. He's a leader. I realize we have space issues with the outfield, but he seems like the kind of guy who will play any role without b****ing.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
Was there ANYBODY who hustled more this year than Pods? When he first came back I thought it was a sign of how desperate we were; by the end of the season he was arguably our best player.

Bring him back. He's a leader. I realize we have space issues with the outfield, but he seems like the kind of guy who will play any role without b****ing.

Getz is the most fundamentally sound player on the team. He hustled his ass off, and even so hustle isn't a measureble stat. Oddly, stolen base %, and not getting picked off 1st it.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)

Almost everyone - and no I am not exaggerating. Pods actually tended to NOT hustle down the line, more often than not, which is particularly shameful when a player's game is so reliant on speed.

Pods is still fast, and he made serious changes that allowed him to hit a lot better - which is why I have some confidence that he would hit well again in 2010, assuming he stays healthy. But make no mistake, Pods needs serious work on his baserunning - he needs to hustle it down the line to 1st more than occasionally, and he needs to be a LOT more selective about when he attempts to steal bases.

I don't want Pods a DH.

I don't want Pods in center.

I don't want Pods in right.

I don't mind Pods playing in left, but I don't want to see Carlos in right.

I would like Pods on the bench, but that means he plays everyday if Ozzie is running things, which again means one of the above.

I think we'll end up bringing Pods back because we always f***ing do. Juan Uribe is the only other Sox player that I loved as much as I wanted gone, but for me, Pods carries more emotion both ways.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
Hey, this isn't a new claim by me. I never said i hated Getz, i just think that if Nix can get his batting average up he's the better player. Hell, i'll even concede that Getz might be the better option, as of now

I'm just busting your balls. :D

Almost everyone - and no I am not exaggerating. Pods actually tended to NOT hustle down the line, more often than not, which is particularly shameful when a player's game is so reliant on speed.

Oh, please. It's laughable that on a team with people like Konerko you would claim HE out-hustled Pods? I'm not talking about stealing bases, I'm talking overall hustle and spirit. Like I said, bring Pods back. I like the attitude.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 08:40 AM)
Oh, please. It's laughable that on a team with people like Konerko you would claim HE out-hustled Pods? I'm not talking about stealing bases, I'm talking overall hustle and spirit. Like I said, bring Pods back. I like the attitude.

"Hustle" is about effort, not raw speed. He's correct that Pods routinely dogged it on ground balls. Unless he was fighting a nagging injury, his "attitude" wasn't very good in that regard.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)

I would say Konerko and Pods were about even on the hustle-to-first meter. AJ is another guy who usually doesn't hustle to first very often. Most of the other guys who are current position players (Beckham, Alexei, Getz, Nix, Rios, even Dye) hustle more than those three. Quentin was on and off, but in 2008 when not injured, he seemed to hustle it down the line a bit better.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 08:56 AM)
I would say Konerko and Pods were about even on the hustle-to-first meter. AJ is another guy who usually doesn't hustle to first very often. Most of the other guys who are current position players (Beckham, Alexei, Getz, Nix, Rios, even Dye) hustle more than those three. Quentin was on and off, but in 2008 when not injured, he seemed to hustle it down the line a bit better.

Hell, after his foot acted up, I'd almost rather have Quentin not bothering to sprint to first on a ground ball.