35th street improvements coming

southsider2k5

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
My thoughts exactly. Vendors would being uniqueness that you otherwise couldn't get at your neighborhood mall.

Ive always thought that since the sox did such a good job with food, items like Hot Dogs, Polish, Italian Sausasge, Elotes, etc they it would be really cool of sox setup some of these foodstand outside of the park. Like in front of gate 3 or 5, near the home plate box office, in some of the parking lots where people gather. I think that would be so cool and give fans more reason to come early and stay late, of course it wouldnt cost much and it would provide some more revenue for the sox.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
Ive always thought that since the sox did such a good job with food, items like Hot Dogs, Polish, Italian Sausasge, Elotes, etc they it would be really cool of sox setup some of these foodstand outside of the park. Like in front of gate 3 or 5, near the home plate box office, in some of the parking lots where people gather. I think that would be so cool and give fans more reason to come early and stay late, of course it wouldnt cost much and it would provide some more revenue for the sox.

Someone needs to forward these ideas to the Sox.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
He might be referring to the smaller structures immediately south of the park - but I think the taller ones are retirement homes, and the shorter ones further south MIGHT be section 8 housing. I am not sure.

I'm referring to the ones just south of the park. So it sounds like they are still there.

Under the plan, the block where the original Comiskey Park once stood could become home to an entertainment complex that would hopefully bring more fans out to see White Sox games.

I wonder if the plans are bigger than we heard about last year. I dont know if I would call the original drawings "an entertainment complex".

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
:headbang

Brooks response:

Joey,

Thanks for the note and idea. Only issue we run into comes with serving and selling food outside the walls of the ballpark. That requires an additional permit, one we are not able to obtain on a daily basis. I always thought it was cool coming out of a Yankees game and seeing the vendors lined up.

Really appreciate you reaching out.

Brooks

• 2 weeks later...

Construction has begun for the Metra station at 35th on the RI, according to the Trib. The article is mostly about the small Mies Van Der Rohe building that is being demolished to make way, but the key parts about the station construction are in there.

This is the Rock Island line right now, but Metra has been playing with the idea of rerouting other southerly lines that currently use the tracks west of the park, to this right of way, so there may be other Metra lines stopping there in the future as well.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
Brooks response:

Joey,

Thanks for the note and idea. Only issue we run into comes with serving and selling food outside the walls of the ballpark. That requires an additional permit, one we are not able to obtain on a daily basis. I always thought it was cool coming out of a Yankees game and seeing the vendors lined up.

Brooks

Brooks is f***ing awesome.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
There are already places to go before and after the game in Bridgeport. People act like its a wasteland. Its not Wrigleyville, but there are places.

People like convenience. Go around the country and see other stadiums and you get the full experience at the park and immediate surroundings. I'd bet those are the stadiums that have better attendance even when their team isn't playing all that well.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
Brooks response:

Joey,

Brooks

hmmm... interesting. I wonder why they cant get the permit.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
People like convenience. Go around the country and see other stadiums and you get the full experience at the park and immediate surroundings. I'd bet those are the stadiums that have better attendance even when their team isn't playing all that well.

Thats true. Give me convenience or give me death.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Nov 2, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
Well, if any of you venture east of the expressway (heading over to the Green Line stop), that whole area has been transformed. There's even a Jimmy John's and a Starbucks. I think there's even a huge open lot right there across from ITT.

But yeah, having to hike over to Halsted now before or after the game does suck. RIP Jimbo's. :(

.....even Jimbo's was kind of a hike.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 04:05 AM)
Any updates on this?

i can't speak to official news, but driving by on Friday, there was very little more done. They made progress doing something with the structure at the base of Gate 5 earlier in Oct/Nov but it seems to have stopped with not too much noticeable difference from during the year. I find it hard to believe they can fit anything in there except maybe a souvenir shop.

QUOTE (maki @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 08:38 AM)
i can't speak to official news, but driving by on Friday, there was very little more done. They made progress doing something with the structure at the base of Gate 5 earlier in Oct/Nov but it seems to have stopped with not too much noticeable difference from during the year. I find it hard to believe they can fit anything in there except maybe a souvenir shop.

They can't really do much until they gets temps above something like 50 degrees.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
They can't really do much until they gets temps above something like 50 degrees.

no way, you can get pretty much anything done, and have to, given the fact that a huge portion of the offseason happens to be winter. they can get anything they need to done provided it doesn't get down to 5-10 degrees. if they waited for 50 we'd be 3 weeks into the season.