Beckham's Deep Thoughts on playing 2nd base

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
Guys the reason Gordon Beckham isn't going to play SS is because he isn't a very good defensive SS. That has been said about him from when he was in college. He has always been a second baseman in waiting. If you watch Alexei, you know why the Sox want him at SS. He has all of the tools, except the mental aspect, which usually can be taught.

Thank you Kenny Williams

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1141925.story

Ken Williams offered a simple explanation Tuesday as to why the White Sox will keep Alexei Ramirez at shortstop and move Gordon Beckham from third base to second for the 2010 season despite shortstop being Beckham's natural position.

"Because Alexei is better than Gordon at short," Williams said during a media session at the general managers' meetings at the O'Hare Hilton.

Ramirez's 20 errors and a brief benching by manager Ozzie Guillen raised questions from fans about Ramirez's ability to play shortstop. Williams acknowledged Beckham can play short.

"That's not the issue," Williams said. "Alexei is a special guy and for him not to play for four years at the position regularly and go do what he did, that's a special feat."

Furthermore, Williams took exception with the criticism levied at Ramirez, who batted .214 in April and had 10 errors by the All-Star break.

"I personably thought it was terribly unfair, the criticism he got," Williams said. "Of course, the lapses are somewhat frustrating, but I expect those ... from young players. That's part of development. So I was less discouraged by them."

Williams said Guillen, behind the scenes, expressed full confidence in Ramirez's abilities.

"You have to understand that for every error he made, he got to some balls a lot of people weren't going to get to," Williams said.

Williams did acknowledge Ramirez needs to improve his focus.

"That's not unusual for a young player," Williams said. "Gordon also would have some of those defensive lapses if he were in the middle of the field.

"People really don't understand what the major-league game is. And you have to go through the day in and day out grind of it, that's when you understand it."

Guys the reason Gordon Beckham isn't going to play SS is because he isn't a very good defensive SS. That has been said about him from when he was in college. He has always been a second baseman in waiting. If you watch Alexei, you know why the Sox want him at SS. He has all of the tools, except the mental aspect, which usually can be taught.

Makes sense. What doesn't make sense is moving Gordon from third to second.

I think it's safe to say he was becoming a damn fine third baseman.

Mark Teahen is not the answer. Believe me. To move him for Mark is insulting. I guess if they are moving him for Vicieno (sp?) I would buy that if indeed he is our future third sacker.

Edited by greg775

Teahan probably won't produce more than Beckham did at third, or would at third.

But will Teahan produce more than Getz would at second, I'd say yes. Nix? Yes.

Will Beckham produce more than Getz would at second? Yes. Nix? Yes.

So is getting better production at a position better than getting worse production at a position but keeping a future star? Yes, because we aren't moving Beckham off the team to start Teahan. He's moving to a position that arguably, and likely, the organization thought would be his best. And replaced him with a lesser player, albeit one that will produce more than the players Beckham is replacing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)

KW's comments are nice and all, but calling Ramirez a "young player" as an excuse for his lack of focus is stretching it about as much as he was streching it when he said Marquez was Garland and Lillibridge would steal 40 bases in 2009. He's 28 years old. At least.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 07:35 AM)
KW's comments are nice and all, but calling Ramirez a "young player" as an excuse for his lack of focus is stretching it about as much as he was streching it when he said Marquez was Garland and Lillibridge would steal 40 bases in 2009. He's 28 years old. At least.

Well in terms of his major league career he is "young". And he is right in the fact that he hadn't played the position regularly in 4 or 5 years so I don't really take what he said as that much of a stretch. Young doesnt always have to refer to age.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 06:35 AM)

According to Laurence Holmes of the Score, the reason a typical White Sox fan prefers Beckham at SS over A.Ramirez is because you don't like the "spanish speaking guy."

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
Teahan probably won't produce more than Beckham did at third, or would at third.

But will Teahan produce more than Getz would at second, I'd say yes. Nix? Yes.

Will Beckham produce more than Getz would at second? Yes. Nix? Yes.

So is getting better production at a position better than getting worse production at a position but keeping a future star? Yes, because we aren't moving Beckham off the team to start Teahan. He's moving to a position that arguably, and likely, the organization thought would be his best. And replaced him with a lesser player, albeit one that will produce more than the players Beckham is replacing.

this is accurate.