Comments Thread - 50 Fav Rock Acts

knightni

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 08:40 PM)
Fact. Their recent stuff is fairly awful, despite the early stuff being good.

I don't think its "fairly awful" so much as "standard rock," and their earlier stuff (first three albums) was amazing. There is Nothing Left to Lose was a real transition from their harder edged good stuff to a slightly more poppy sound.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
I voted the Who as my #1, so I think that would make them basically automatically on the list (especially if at least one or two other people even had them somewhere on theirs). So, I wouldn't worry about it.

I had The Who on my list,they are a lock I bet.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
I had The Who on my list,they are a lock I bet.

Yep. I had 'em too, at 5.

No offense Van Halen fans but I am glad they didn't make the list (knock on wood). I admire Eddie Van Halen as a guitarist but I never liked them. Of the thousands of records that I own or owned I never had a Van Halen record.

Awesome. Looks like the Who will be #2 unless they pull off a major upset. They're well deserving of a top 2 spot, great to see them get some recognition. Tommy and Quadrophenia are two of my all-time favorite albums :)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
Awesome. Looks like the Who will be #2 unless they pull off a major upset. They're well deserving of a top 2 spot, great to see them get some recognition. Tommy and Quadrophenia are two of my all-time favorite albums :)

Tommy is one of my top five albums ever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
Tommy is one of my top five albums ever.

Fully agreed. It's behind Freak Out!, Sgt. Peppers and We're Only in it for the Money, but Quadrophenia and Tommy are probably 4 and 5 respectively.

This is great. I did not expect the Who to get the #2 spot at all. So many people I know aren't big fans of theirs at all, leading me to believe that it'd be hard for them to crack the top 10. I think now that it's pretty obvious the top one will be the Beatles (of which there was never any doubt), with the Who coming in second.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
If I did the list between 1970 and 1990 The Who would have easily been #1 on my list. I can't believe then that Van Halen and Elton John were left out.

Hendrix would have topped my list in high school. Of course he still ranked fairly high on my current list.

This is gonna be a completely unpopular position, but I'll say it anyway.

I understand what those top 4 bands did for music and that they inspired bands I listen to now etc. But I could really give a s***. I can't connect with a band that had their height in popularity and influence decades before i was born. I think it's a little weird to be 25 and the Beatles are your favorite band ever. My mom lived through Beatlemania, I could never like or appreciate that band as much as she did.

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
Fully agreed. It's behind Freak Out!, Sgt. Peppers and We're Only in it for the Money, but Quadrophenia and Tommy are probably 4 and 5 respectively.

Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road both make it as complete albums that you never have the urge to skip a song on. Past those three, I would have to stop and think for a while to decide how to narrow it down.

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)

I understand what those top 4 bands did for music and that they inspired bands I listen to now etc. But I could really give a s***. I can't connect with a band that had their height in popularity and influence decades before i was born. I think it's a little weird to be 25 and the Beatles are your favorite band ever. My mom lived through Beatlemania, I could never like or appreciate that band as much as she did.

I'm 24 and they are one of my top 5 bands and I think I had them #1 for this although I just as easily could have had the Arcade Fire or a number of other bands #1. But my parents also played the Beatles a ton when I was a kid and I basically grew up listening to them and have actually appreciated their music more as I have gotten older.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
I'm 24 and they are one of my top 5 bands and I think I had them #1 for this although I just as easily could have had the Arcade Fire or a number of other bands #1. But my parents also played the Beatles a ton when I was a kid and I basically grew up listening to them and have actually appreciated their music more as I have gotten older.

That's exactly how I did it. I grew up hearing them as much as I heard anything on the radio or MTV (you know back when they actually were "M"TV)

No Clash and no Pixies = massive fail

Also, were females not allowed on this list or what? Y'all are sexist! At least, I think I had a few female rockers on my list with a few more just missing the cut.

Anyways, great job with the list knight! Not the greatest selection in my opinion but I guess that's what you get when there's only 24 lists and it's just asking for personal favorites, not greatest or most influential.

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 06:34 PM)

Not weird at all, the sounds are so different. But I also do not thnk it is weird to enjoy music created decades or centuries before you were born. Mozart endures long after his life is over.

QUOTE (The Bones @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
No Clash and no Pixies = massive fail

I'm pretty shocked the Pixies aren't on this list. They were certainly in my top 20, and I think they even made my top 10 (although I don't really remember).

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 06:34 PM)

I'm 22 and the majority of my favorite bands are from the 60s and 70s, and I haven't seen most of them live in concert because they were either dead or broken up during my life. And yet, there is no chance in hell I'd rank any modern band that "my generation" is supposed to enjoy. Frankly, I think most of the music that people my age listen to is crappy and annoying, save for a select few.

There are some pretty good bands that aren't really talked about nowadays, but that doesn't stop me from thinking the majority of music that's out in the public (read: radio, parties, even in conversations with classmates) is just trash.

^ That's another thing. I LOVE going to live concerts. Getting to experience the emotion of a live performance is just amazing. It bums me out when bands come on my iPod that have broken up/have dead members cause I know I'll never get the chance to see them live and in person...

Outstanding work indeed Jeremy. We should keep doing this with other music areas for other ST posters to perhaps get involved with their style of music. Looks like I got 10 or 11 on my list that made it. I guess I have some decent taste in bands with some fellow posters. ;)

I wonder who the 4 people are, who didn't have the Beatles on their list. :P :D

Edited by SoxAce