AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

But was this just a case where KW called and asked about the availability of a player or threw out an offer that was immediately rejected? Seems like there would be 100s of these types of calls going on throughout the season with several teams. Not sure why this one needed to be singled out and artificially elevated to its current status. I mean look at this 400 post thread. What is it all based on?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
LOL I was just listening to the Score 670 and Cowley was on. He basically just took a dump on soxnet.net. It wasn't cool.

He's just pissed he didn't hear about it first.

I can't even count the number of times he's written stories about rumors with less substantive information than this one.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
Many times he has mentioned things that dont happen.

I suppose if you have a source, you just give the boards all your info, and sometimes I suppose negotiations go through. And the 75% it doesnt go thru, you take heat.

Exactly. You can have insider information that never comes to be because it either fell through or it was never as serious as other may have thought it to be. Ideally you want your source to be the lead guy, like Williams of Reinsdorf, but that's rarely the case. It's often a "lower" person who is part of the negotiations or scouts, or whoever. Sometimes they will eb right, others wrong. it comes with the business.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
But was this just a case where KW called and asked about the availability of a player or threw out an offer that was immediately rejected? Seems like there would be 100s of these types of calls going on throughout the season with several teams. Not sure why this one needed to be singled out and artificially elevated to its current status. I mean look at this 400 post thread. What is it all based on?

Fair enough, but if there is a talk of a three way deal, that tends to imply a little more seriousness than calling the Yankees to see if Jeter was available.

It's just really easy to say "anyone providing info to a message board should wait til it's more advanced in the negotiations"

If this became common practice, the message boards would have no scoops, and we'd still learn everything from the Trib and SunTimes websites.

To me, the ability of the common man to share information makes twitter and message boards a really powerful set of tools for a fan. I dont really buy the argument that all this transparency affects the GMs abilities to do their jobs, either.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
To me, the ability of the common man to share information makes twitter and message boards a really powerful set of tools for a fan. I dont really buy the argument that all this transparency affects the GMs abilities to do their jobs, either.

I am a rather large Disney fan and there is one message board I am on that has a few real good "insiders" and i think it's really great to see what's coming before anyone else does.

Very few of all trade talks amount to anything more than that, talks. We as fans want to know those talks so when we at Soxtalk/SoxNet become privy to something we try to pass it on to you guys/gals.

I don't know where the heck, people jump to conclusions and ultimately decide that we are saying this deal is done or even close to being done or even on Ken Williams' priority list. We don't know enough to decide that is the case, we know we are confident in our source who provided us with the info and we also know that what our source indicated is consistent with other members of the media:

- A Chicago Radio Report this past week cited San Diego sources, which indicated the two teams have had talks regarding Adrian Gonzalez

- Joe Cowley, whose level I refuse to stoop to, twittered today that he reported the Sox tried to have talks with the Pads back on Oct 6th

- Mark Gonzalez indicated yesterday that a month ago his sources within the Sox confirmed the clubs interest in Adrian Gonzalez

Clearly the teams are interested, clearly the need is there (from the Sox perspective and the Padres perspective), the question is will a deal ultimately get done?

We can only assume the Angels were called in and became part of an expanded package and I wouldn't be surprised to eventually learn that Kenny has talked to a number of other teams (to get in as a 3rd player) to try to and make an Adrian Gonzalez to the Sox move a reality.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 09:12 AM)

It is the off-season. Do you see the other 400 post thread on Adrian Gonzalez which was based upon pure speculation. This thread is based upon a report that the teams had talks, nothing more, nothing less.

Peter Gammons reports this type of stuff all the time. Bruce Levine does too. They get s*** for it quite often and most of the time it is unwarranted. The fact that some people jump to the conclusions and think that preliminary talks mean done deal is preposterious. It just shows that the club has interest in Adrian Gonzalez and they have tried to get him.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
To play devil's advocate, what was the purpose of posting something like this if it's in such a preliminary stage and there isn't a any verifiable source to link this to? Wouldn't you expect people like Cowley to laugh at it?

Actually I would expect journalists to understand it for what it is. People like Cowley of course will laugh at it because they are an insult to the title of journalist.

For great examples look no further than how Mark Gonzalez from Chicago's one real newspaper handled it, and how this tabloid reporter dealt with it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)

If it got to the stage where they are putting pieces in place for a three way deal, it isn't a simple phone call about availability. The talks have very obviously advanced to a fairly substantive stage.

Just read the two articles on this topic written by the two main beat reporters - Mark Gonzales of the Trib, and Joe Cowley of the Sun Times - and you can clearly see why one paper and one writer are generally respected for sports reporting, and the other paper and writer are looked at as jokes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
Just read the two articles on this topic written by the two main beat reporters - Mark Gonzales of the Trib, and Joe Cowley of the Sun Times - and you can clearly see why one paper and one writer are generally respected for sports reporting, and the other paper and writer are looked at as jokes.

MG's artcile is well written

Mark Gonzales - "a team source acknowledged last month that the club has had interest in Gonzalez in previous years."

Is this the first he's mentioned what his source told him? If so, it only backs up the SoxNet info. He might have just been keeping the info under wraps, but now that it's out he can say it.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
MG's artcile is well written

Mark Gonzales - "a team source acknowledged last month that the club has had interest in Gonzalez in previous years."

Is this the first he's mentioned what his source told him? If so, it only backs up the SoxNet info. He might have just been keeping the info under wraps, but now that it's out he can say it.

Add in the fact that there was the radio report last week indicating that someones San Diego sources had indicated the two teams have had talks.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
The Padres would move him with two years left on the deal to accomplish one thing -- to bring in a giant load of prospects.

Without Floyd or John Danks outgoing, I dont know if we can compete with another team's offer.

Sadly, I agree. And given that Mark is probably not going to get another contract from the Sox, moving Floyd or Danks would be a bad idea. I imagine that the Padres would demand both Hudson and Flowers, plus others.

My Email to Cowley:

Hey Joe

I want to let you know that I’m not sure where you are jumping to these conclusions, but we reported only what we have heard and it’s the same thing we’ve reported over the years, whether at SoxNet, FutureSox, or Soxtalk. And historically I believe we’ve proven the fact that we have legitimate sources. In no way, shape or form, are we on top of the news all the time. We don’t have near the contacts that you and Mark Gonzalez have, although we do have a few legitimate contacts within the org who we catch up with from time to time and get the occasional tid-bit from.

These sources have varied over the years from players, to family members, to people within the front-office and scouting world and over those years we have been the first to report a good number of Sox moves, including Bradon McCarthy’s promotion to the club, Brandon McCarthy’s trade from the club, Billy Koch/Keith Foulke Trade, Bartolo Colon Trade, injuries to certain players, Gordon Beckham’s promotion, and many other minor league players promotion as well as minor league roster moves.

I also believe our comments were just one in a list of reports that have come from the media indicating that they have heard about the clubs having discussions. Local radio reported last week that they had heard from someone with ties to San Diego that the Pads/Sox have had discussions. You have indicated on your twitter feed that you had heard the Sox had inquired in October and Mark Gonzalez has publicly reported that a month ago he confirmed the Sox interest in Gonzalez.

Whether a deal between the clubs ultimately happens, I don’t’ know, nor have I ever given any indication that a deal will happen. The fact that the talks have happened is what I would call news-worthy from a fans perspective and that is what we are reporting and I believe we were very honest in the way we reported it.

I don’t understand why you are offended at what we reported, but your comments were completely unprofessional and disrespectful.

Sincerely

Jason G. and Mario S.

SoxNet.net

Joe Cowley wants desperatly to be the next Kotex Boy, Mike North or Dan Berstein. Instead he is left doing a job he seems to kind of like but covering a team he has not interest in at all. On top of that he thinks he is funny.

I thought he was a pretty decent writer with the Southtown but with the Twitter platform and his SCORE gig he seems to think he is above being a beat writer which is what he is.

I am certain there is going to be a book from this douche one of these days slamming the organization from everything from being cheap, the treatment of Kotex Boy, the politically incorrect Ozzeroo,etc.

By the way, I hate Star Trek.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
Sadly, I agree. And given that Mark is probably not going to get another contract from the Sox, moving Floyd or Danks would be a bad idea. I imagine that the Padres would demand both Hudson and Flowers, plus others.

Why would the Padres want Floyd or Danks 1? They are not going to compete for a few years and by that time those two will be very expensive.