AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
The Angels really like Paulie and I think the bigger question would be how much if anything would the Angels be putting in on this deal. It could be more or less the Sox moving Konerko and not getting much in return and the main portion of the deal being the prospects the club sends.

I want no one to think that we are reporting this as a done deal or anything of the sort. Just that discussions were made regarding that deal...my guess is 1-5% of all deals that get discussed ever turn into a finalized deal (if not less than that).

One of these deals would make more sense then:

Sox trade: Konerko + prospect or cash to Angels, lots of prospects to the Padres

Sox get: Adrian Gonzalez

Angels trade: nothing

Angels get: Konerko + Sox prospect or cash (for taking on Konerko's salary)

Padres trade: Adrian Gonzalez

Padres get: Sox prospects

or

Sox trade: Konerko, lots of prospects

Sox get: Adrian Gonzalez

Angels trade: one good prospect

Angels get: Konerko, Bell/Young/Correia

Padres trade: Adrian Gonzalez, Bell/Young/Correia

Padres get: Sox prospects, Angels prospect

Edit: Also, I know you guys can't divulge exactly, but as far as your source for this... is it someone who really knows what he's talking about? Someone actually involved in operations somewhere? And if so, does this source have a track record? I know that lots of things get discussed, and rarely do those discussions turn into actual deals, but this doesn't seem to make a lot of sense from the Angels standpoint, even if they really do like Konerko, because there are guys on the open market who could come very close to Konerko's production at half Konerko's salary.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
It would be weird to see the Sox without Konerko.

When does free agency start?

It's already started. The arbitration deadline hasn't passed yet, so you don't want to sign a type A FA who won't be offered arbitration just yet (because it'll guarantee you lose a draft pick if you do). But we're past the "10 days after the end of the world series" deadline for people to declare as free agents and for teams to start signing them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
It's already started. The arbitration deadline hasn't passed yet, so you don't want to sign a type A FA who won't be offered arbitration just yet (because it'll guarantee you lose a draft pick if you do). But we're past the "10 days after the end of the world series" deadline for people to declare as free agents and for teams to start signing them.

There's a negotiation period between players and their former teams, and I'm not sure we're past that yet. Maybe we are. Once that negotiation period ends then free agents can sign anywhere.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
There's a negotiation period between players and their former teams, and I'm not sure we're past that yet. Maybe we are. Once that negotiation period ends then free agents can sign anywhere.

We're past the exclusive negotiating period; that's 10 days after the W.S. ends, I'm 90% sure.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
Yeah, I can't see a deal where Hudson is not included. The Padres need SP, so if Danks and Floyd are off the table (as they should be) then Hudson is a deal breaker.

Indeed. I'd do it for Hudson. It's not like we have a rotation of 38 year olds.

Isn't PK a 5 and 10 guy? Or are we just assuming he'll accept the trade since he lives out west anyways and was close to signing with them in the 2005 offseason? I guess there is nothing wrong with going to the Angels squad, as they have a better chance than us next year on paper you'd have to say...

Edited by JohnCangelosi

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
I wonder if there's some way they can do this and send the farm minus Hudson. oooh

Also where are all the "you dont trade the face of the organization" posts (ie PK or Buehrle) ? For the right deal you do it

Yeah, not buying it. I'm guessing the Angels aren't jumping at the bit to get a mediocre, overpaid first baseman while also ensuring that one of their fellow AL contenders gets a far better player at the same position. Why wouldn't they just go after Gonzalez? Any package we put together could easily be trumped (save me the 7-8 player package KHP, it's not realistic).

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
Isn't PK a 5 and 10 guy? Or are we just assuming he'll accept the trade since he lives out west anyways and was close to signing with them in the 2005 offseason?

And I don't think it hurts that they're the best team in the AL West and in the hunt for the playoffs pretty much every year.

QUOTE (KevinM @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
Yeah, not buying it. I'm guessing the Angels aren't jumping at the bit to get a mediocre, overpaid first baseman while also ensuring that one of their fellow AL contenders gets a far better player at the same position. Why wouldn't they just go after Gonzalez? Any package we put together could easily be trumped (save me the 7-8 player package KHP, it's not realistic).

Maybe the Angels didn't know the White Sox were going to flip their prospect to the Padres, until this report blew KW's cover :lolhitting

QUOTE (KevinM @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)

You are assuming that LAA is in this deal primarily for Konerko. On the contrary, I'd be they are in it to get the right spect or two, and Konerko is a nice 1B/DH fill, as a secondary desired piece.

You are also assuming that LAA has what SD wants - the only reason you even have 3-way trades is that a 1-to-1 deal doesn't fulfill their needs. SD may be able to justify losing A-Gon because of the COMBINATION of what they'd get from the two other trading parties.

Nice surprise! I didn't expect anything going on today. This is very interesting. For those that had seen enough of the middle of the order, Konerko, Thome, and Dye may all be ex-Sox. Gonzalez could hit 50 with the Sox. I'll miss the old players, but this team needs a big shake up like this. Why wouldn't the Angels just get Gonzalez themselves?

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
Think Konerko would waive his no-trade clause?

He's always said he'd waive his no trade clause if the Sox felt they could make the team better by moving him. The Angels are on the west coast and he was very very close to going there after the world series year. They are also a perennial contender. Without a doubt, Paulie would accept a move there, imo.