AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
So...what would the Angels be willing to give up for Konerko that the Padres would want?

Has Brandon Wood fallen that far in their eyes? He seriously comes to mind there, and that's a guy the Padres m ight take a flyer on. I can't see them giving up someone like Hank Conger for him. Maybe they've soured a bit on Jordan walden and there's another hitter that the Padres could grab.

That'd leave their OF as Hunter, Abreu, Rivera, with Matthews and Willits as backups, so I guess taht RH hitting 1b might be one way of filling their DH slot. But they'd have a 3b opening.

This is the same team that signs an outfielder every year, so who knows.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the idea, but to play devil's advocate, where would the Angels put Kendry Morales? He had a breakout year last year and provided very good defense at 1B. If they were to move him to LF, then they'd either have to trade Rivera or platoon them (and I don't see that happening). If Paulie's designed to replace Vlad in the lineup and switch off at 1B/DH with Morales, it stil seems unlikely to me considering Paulie's lack of speed and declining hitting.

Believe me, I'd love it, but the Angels don't seem to be a good place for PK.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
I thought the Angels had a first baseman? Could Konerko play center field?

The Angels still have a solid OF with Rivera, Hunter, and Abreu, unless they want to move Abreu to DH. What they might be missing in their lineup right now is a replacement for Vlad though.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
What sources did you guys get this from?

There's no way we get Gonzalez for Pauly and spects.

Don´t think i agree. We´ve been discussing how we might get Adrian for all spects, not sure why konerko diminishes that package.

Huddy, Danks, Flowers and Viciedo are a nice group to choose from.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
I hope the Angels over value PK so we may not have to give up as many prospects for AGon...this would be quite the deal if it works out. Like Jake Peavy times 5

The Angels front office, Scioscia, and ownership all like Konerko. Doesn't mean they'll give up a ton of top prospects and I have to imagine the Sox would be sending one or two of Flowers/Viciedo/Morel/Danks 2

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
Probably also need to include at least 1 if not 2 of Flowers/Danks/Viciedo too

The Sox could put in an extra piece or two certainly. but the whole idea here would be...a fair deal for AGon without picking up another high ceiling player might be a 4-5 for 1 deal, involving basically everyone we have. Deal Konerko, suddenly find yourself having salary flexibility if you don't send over too much money, pick up another guy that you can stick in that deal such that you don't need to send over all those guys. I'd bet you could pull it off.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 09:34 AM)
The Angels still have a solid OF with Rivera, Hunter, and Abreu, unless they want to move Abreu to DH. What they might be missing in their lineup right now is a replacement for Vlad though.

Konerko or Morales could DH though.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
What sources did you guys get this from?

There's no way we get Gonzalez for Pauly and spects.

We have our sources, but we are only stating the teams have had preliminary discussions and that those were the main parameters. Nothing is imminent that we know of.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
The Sox could put in an extra piece or two certainly. but the whole idea here would be...a fair deal for AGon without picking up another high ceiling player might be a 4-5 for 1 deal, involving basically everyone we have. Deal Konerko, suddenly find yourself having salary flexibility if you don't send over too much money, pick up another guy that you can stick in that deal such that you don't need to send over all those guys. I'd bet you could pull it off.

Konerko being a part of the deal makes it much more probable because it gives the Sox some financial flexibility to fill other holes while getting a huge bat.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
Konerko being a part of the deal makes it much more probable because it gives the Sox some financial flexibility to fill other holes while getting a huge bat.

Bingo. Getting Konerko out of here, while not picking up any salary, and still getting anything for him is a win right now. If he were to get us a big time player like Gonzalez at the same time, they had better get a booth for licking Kenny Williams boots, because he just killed and got away with it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)

Im a big fan of Danks2 and Flowers, that being said if we can only keep one have to go with Flowers 100%. Depending on what we do with the left over money this team could be pretty fantastic next season, maybe Jason Bay and Nick Johnson wouldnt be 2 unreasonable.

I don't see how this makes sense without the Sox taking on GMJ or Ervin Santana in the deal. Why would they give up prospects that the Padres would want in a AGon deal for 1 year of Konerko at $12M? It would make sense for them to give up good prospects to shed bad deals, but the Angels could just go out and re-sign Vladdy to DH for a couple million without giving up anything. Or even better yet, they could put Abreu at DH since that's where he belongs anyway.

Every year since about 2005 we've had Paulie to the Angels rumors. This year it makes less sense than in any other. I think someone's source is misinformed here.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
I don't see how this makes sense without the Sox taking on GMJ or Ervin Santana in the deal. Why would they give up prospects that the Padres would want in a AGon deal for 1 year of Konerko at $12M? It would make sense for them to give up good prospects to shed bad deals, but the Angels could just go out and re-sign Vladdy to DH for a couple million without giving up anything. Or even better yet, they could put Abreu at DH since that's where he belongs anyway.

Every year since about 2005 we've had Paulie to the Angels rumors. This year it makes less sense than in any other. I think someone's source is misinformed here.

The Angels really like Paulie and I think the bigger question would be how much if anything would the Angels be putting in on this deal. It could be more or less the Sox moving Konerko and not getting much in return and the main portion of the deal being the prospects the club sends.

I want no one to think that we are reporting this as a done deal or anything of the sort. Just that discussions were made regarding that deal...my guess is 1-5% of all deals that get discussed ever turn into a finalized deal (if not less than that).