Rule 5 Draft

scenario

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
Shelby isn't going to get picked in the Rule V draft. He still has too much to work on, imo.

Agreed, having him sit on a bench for a year would stunt his development. He's a raw position-playing prospect who turns 25 next season. What team is really going to waste a spot on their bench for a year, only to have to send him down to the minors for another season or two afterwards. If he were younger or more polished, then maybe it would make sense. Right now, I don't see it being worth it to any club.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
Sox protected:

Stefan Gartrell-OF

Brandon Hynick-RHP

Brian Omogrosso-RHP

Sergio Santos-RHP

Santo Luis -RHP

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press...sp&c_id=cws

Gartrell makes sense. Hynick does too. Omogrosso is going to miss all of 2010, so why? Santos...great fastball, no control. Luis is just flat out bad, he'll be 26 at the start of 2010 and will be making his first AA roster more than likely. I don't think Marrero is eligible.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
Exactly, what were the biggest knocks on Shelby coming into this year? His BB% and K%. What did he do this year? Improve both dramatically. The drop in average can be attributed to poor luck (BABIP).

I expect him to perform much better next year.

I'm assuming he would repeat AA in 2010 and have a clearly defined role as well as his own sense of urgency to step it up.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
Gartrell makes sense. Hynick does too. Omogrosso is going to miss all of 2010, so why? Santos...great fastball, no control. Luis is just flat out bad, he'll be 26 at the start of 2010 and will be making his first AA roster more than likely. I don't think Marrero is eligible.

Marrero is eligible and was left off. He was 19 on the day he was drafted, and you have to be 18 to get the 5 evaluation years.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
Yes. Unless there is some sort of rule which excludes this sort of activity during the off-season. I'm unaware of one but there could be one.

So I take it back, I went to our expert, Kalapse and he has indicated such:

I believe you have to transfer all players on the 60 day DL to the active roster. There is no disabled list in the offseason. You'll see someone like Carlos Pena -- who finished the year on the 60 dayDL -- transfered to the active roster some time in the next few weeks.

This means that the Sox won't open up that roster spot on the 40 until the season begins and teams are allowed to place players back on the DL. However, if Omogrosso wasn't protected a team could have claimed him and easily kept him on the 40 man roster all season (without wasting his development, since it is essentially going to be him rehabbing).

That is why the Sox protected Omogrosso and I am fairly confident that if we hadn't protected him a club would have picked him up. He's got the tools to be a pretty good reliever.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
Marrero is eligible and was left off. He was 19 on the day he was drafted, and you have to be 18 to get the 5 evaluation years.

Marrero was a draft and follow though. He was drafted in 2005, making him 18 when he was drafted. However, he signed in 2006 so I don't know what that does to his Rule V eligibility.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)

Damn, yes I am pissed now.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
It's just his talent that's intriguing. On a terrible team he can be an adequate 5th OF/pinch runner for a year, then he'd be back in the minors again to continue developing. I don't think anyone would consider giving him much playing time right now.

But then you have a guy wasting a year and he'll be 25 back in the minors. I don't think many teams want to spend $400k to keep him around all year just so they can send him to AAA the following season. They are going to want him to be able to contribute something. Nothing in 2009 seems to indicate he's ready to do that.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
Wow. That Mota one was under everyone's radar. Never heard of him.

He pitched his second year in the DSL, as a 22 year old. He did put up some nice numbers: 1.81 ERA, sub-1 WHIP, 80 K vs 19 BB in 89 IP. Basically all as a starter. But its kind of surprising that someone would spend $12,000 on a 22 year old DSL repeater.