Miguel Cabrera could be traded?

asboog

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
Would be nice if it drew one of the suitors for AG out of the mix.

If you're a team like Boston, wouldn't it be preferable to you to hold on to 2 prospects and give up just 1 pretty good guy but at the same time just absorb Cabrera's contract?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
I bet Boston would, if the Tigers would take back a deal not including Buchholz.

Discussions should start with Buchholz. This isn't Victor Martinez we're talking about, this is Miguel Cabrera.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
I bet Boston would, if the Tigers would take back a deal not including Buchholz.

Does Boston have room for $20 million on their payroll? I can't imagine with his salary, Cabrera would command anything like he did a couple of years ago on the trade market. I honestly wonder if he was waived, how many teams would even put claims in on him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
Does Boston have room for $20 million on their payroll? I can't imagine with his salary, Cabrera would command anything like he did a couple of years ago on the trade market. I honestly wonder if he was waived, how many teams would even put claims in on him.

I would assume any team that was after him then felt as though they would have to pay him somewhere in the neighborhood of what he got from Detroit.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
I would assume any team that was after him then felt as though they would have to pay him somewhere in the neighborhood of what he got from Detroit.

The Sox were almost that team... Anyways, the key is who, today, has that kind of payroll flexibility to add $20,000,000 a year for the foreseeable future?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
The Sox were almost that team... Anyways, the key is who, today, has that kind of payroll flexibility to add $20,000,000 a year for the foreseeable future?

Well, I think the main question is who can make it work for THIS season. Most teams have begun getting a lot less reckless over the past few seasons regarding the long-term deals they hand out, so my guess is whichever teams can make it work for this season are those with the best opportunity. Many teams might be willing to trade players impacting their books this upcoming season to find a way to make it work though.

My guess is the Red Sox, White Sox, Orioles, Angels, Dodgers and Mets would all be interested.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
Well, I think the main question is who can make it work for THIS season. Most teams have begun getting a lot less reckless over the past few seasons regarding the long-term deals they hand out, so my guess is whichever teams can make it work for this season are those with the best opportunity. Many teams might be willing to trade players impacting their books this upcoming season to find a way to make it work though.

My guess is the Red Sox, White Sox, Orioles, Angels, Dodgers and Mets would all be interested.

I'd love to see a Dodgers-Red Sox bidding war for Cabrera. It would let the Sox swoop in on Adrian Gonzalez, because despite what Buster Olney says...Sox aren't in the Miguel Cabrera race.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/olne...a-yankees-.html

Could you imagine the price the Sox would have to pay? It'd start with Beckham and Danks probably.

I wouldn't trust anything Olney is saying here.

#1 The Tigers have $57.1M coming off the books after 2010 with Inge, Willis, Ordonez (including his buyout), Robertson, and Bonderman. If they trade Granderson they're looking at $67.1M off the books after 2010, which according to Cot's would have them only committed for $31.25M in 2011, and that is including Cabrera's contract. They do not need to trade Cabrera unless ownership is mandating something like a $70M payroll or less in 2010. Keep in mind the Tigers were also paying Sheffield this season and now that one is off the books.

#2 The Tigers definitely are not trading Cabrera to an AL Central team. Even if they would, I doubt any other team in the division would take on that salary, including the Sox. The Sox don't do $20M+ players and it would be pretty unusual to see them start doing that in this current climate. It's likelier we sign both Chapmann AND Arguelles than it is we take on $126M in Cabrera over 6 years.

#3 Olney is saying it is extremely unlikely that the Pads trade Adrian. Did he miss the $40M payroll for the future comments? Did he miss where the Pads sent out season ticket brochures without Adrian being mentioned in them? The Padres need to go young across the diamond right now, and they are such a bad team even with Adrian that they're not going to contend. If they're having so much trouble putting asses in seats even with Adrian there then they might as well deal him.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
Could you imagine the price the Sox would have to pay? It'd start with Beckham and Danks probably.

2010: $20 million

2011: $20 million

2012: $21 million

2013: $21 million

2014: $22 million

2015: $22 million

I wouldn't give up anyone prospect-wise for that contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
Giving up talent and taking on this contract:

2010: $20 million

2011: $20 million

2012: $21 million

2013: $21 million

2014: $22 million

2015: $22 million

YUCK.

And let's not forget that the dude got himself s***faced and jailed the last weekend of the season while his team was fighting for its playoff life; not that that's any kind of red flag or anything.

DOUBLE YUCK

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
I wouldn't trust anything Olney is saying here.

They do not need to trade Cabrera unless ownership is mandating something like a $70M payroll or less in 2010. Keep in mind the Tigers were also paying Sheffield this season and now that one is off the books.

I believe Detroit is in alot of financial trouble with their organization and their city itself in the very near future, so I believe they are probably forced to have a payroll in a year or two in those effects. (Cincy as well) Thats why said players like Miggy and Granderson will probably become "dangled" by them to see what they can possibly net.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
Discussions should start with Buchholz. This isn't Victor Martinez we're talking about, this is Miguel Cabrera.

No doubt about it. It's a shame though.. it would probably take a Beckham, Danks, etc.. crazy like that to make Dombroski even think of moving Miggy to us in the division. Miggy is a hellova talent and would just be a nightmare especially in this park. He is very much worth what he makes, but we are tied ourselves with 2 big contracts. I've made my Miggy love known with that Adrian thread from pages 17-19 a while back. :D Scary to think he will probably be much better this comming season improving from making the AL jump.

Edited by SoxAce