White Sox sign Andruw Jones

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
I'll take any player that "dogs" his way to 10 GG's.

Low risk lower reward doesn't make any sense.

I'm not here to argue. I have my opinion on how this will work out and I'm sticking to it until proven wrong ... which I hope happens and I'll put A1 on my plate full of crow.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
My gut reaction is to disagree with the general concesus of this being a positive move. First of all Jones has a rep as player who dogs it, just ask Bobby Cox. He was almost certainly a roider who hasn't been able to cut the mustard lately. Now, he may be hungry and wanting to prove a point and could have a great year, but personally, I doubt it. I hope the concensus is right and I'm proven wrong, but this is the way I see this move. Low risk, lower reward.

He took to the role last year and played well. The power is definitely still there so even if is/was a roider you're still getting that good pop. He's being brought in to start only occasionally but mostly to act as a 4th OF (he's should still be a good CF) and provide good right handed power off the bench along with good plate discipline. It's been 11 and half years since Bobby Cox pulled Andruw Jones off the field and he failed in LA largely due to a lack of conditioning, this wasn't a problem in Texas and really shouldn't be a concern here. If he preforms like he did last year he'll be more than worth the $550K price tag and ~300 PA afforded to him.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
Getz ,Fields out, Teahan, Visquel, Jones in-we are now "more mature" in the mold of that veteran type team that wins divisions

Thome, Dye, Getz, Fields, Pods, Dotel out. Teahan, Visquel, Jones in. Hmmmmm.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
Well yeah, most lineups with 7 guys would look pretty weak.

We are still missing two guys.

Very true....but that is not what I really meant. I am assuming that one of those 2 spots is going to be a "speed" or leadoff guy or *shudder* possibly even Danks. That to me makes that other spot almost HAVE to be someone that has some power or like I said at worst a guy like Matsui.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
He took to the role last year and played well. The power is definitely still there so even if is/was a roider you're still getting that good pop. He's being brought in to start only occasionally but mostly to act as a 4th OF (he's should still be a good CF) and provide good right handed power off the bench along with good plate discipline. It's been 11 and half years since Bobby Cox pulled Andruw Jones off the field and he failed in LA largely due to a lack of conditioning, this wasn't a problem in Texas and really shouldn't be a concern here. If he preforms like he did last year he'll be more than worth the $550K price tag and ~300 PA afforded to him.

I don't know Kalapse, I think a lack of conditioning 2 seasons ago ... with his past ... kind of indicates that it just might be an issue. Besides, I seem to recall Cox wasn't real enamored with Jones at the end of his Braves career. He wasn't near the the defensive force that last in Atlanta that he had been prior.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
I don't know Kalapse, I think a lack of conditioning 2 seasons ago ... with his past ... kind of indicates that it just might be an issue. Besides, I seem to recall Cox wasn't real enamored with Jones at the end of his Braves career. He wasn't near the the defensive force that last in Atlanta that he had been prior.

And that's why at age 33 no one is counting on him to start. If he wants to stay in baseball then he's going to have to conform to team demands much like he did last season, given the investment there really isn't much to worry about here. It's not like we gave him $4M to be our starting CF, he's making near league minimum to hit the ball hard and play the field every once in a while. He was starting to get people talking again last year until he strained his hamstring, there's still that possibility of a nice payday if he can put up a big year.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
The Sox are the only team really doing anything right now, the fun doesn't normally until the Winter meetings (Dec. 7th-10th) but Kenny likes to get work done around the holidays.

I think what he is doing is securing the bench and himself some backup plans in case things don't work out like he wants them too, which is smart on his part. He has way more moveable parts than before, Teahen (3B, RF, Util), Jones (RF, LF, DH), Vizquel (SS, 2B, 3B) in case of injury or not being able to get the guy he wants. Granted Jones and Vizquel will hopefully only be bench guys, but he has some security now. Instead of high price players...it appears he is going after more affordable players. Let's just hope that includes another lefty 1B/DH (Matsui, LaRoche) or the less likely bigger trade splash of (Gonzalez, Dunn).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
And that's why at age 33 no one is counting on him to start. If he wants to stay in baseball then he's going to have to conform to team demands much like he did last season, given the investment there really isn't much to worry about here. It's not like we gave him $4M to be our starting CF, he's making near league minimum to hit the ball hard and play the field every once in a while. He was starting to get people talking again last year until he strained his hamstring, there's still that possibility of a nice payday if he can put up a big year.

As long as hes not gonna be counted on as a starter it should be no risk. I don't want another Erstad situation where a scrub is getting 350 ABs. I think its pretty unlikely that he will have a big year though.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
lol, JC is still putting up clever articles bashing on Vizquel, he hasnt even noticed that Jones is signed yet.

His source must not of told him yet :ph34r:

He has sources? I thought he just pulled stuff out of his a$$?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)

Granted, the possibility exists. I hope KW's right on this one. But, Jones has been on my "no way" list for quite awhile now. He may very well turn out to be an asset. I'm betting (figuratively speaking) that he'll still be an ass. We will see.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
As long as hes not gonna be counted on as a starter it should be no risk. I don't want another Erstad situation where a scrub is getting 350 ABs. I think its pretty unlikely that he will have a big year though.

I don't see Jones getting an overwhelming amount of at bats...maybe 200 AB?

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)

I think pretty much everyone here can agree with him NOT being counted on as a starter.

I'll say this much, Jones has the talent to be a JD type player with better defense. But he hasn't shown that talent in quite a while and his attitude seems to be the reason. If he gets his head out to where he can see the sun, then maybe just maybe this will work out well. I'd be satisfied with something between what he can do and what he has done recently.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
I don't have the time to look it up, but how did Jones do against LHP last year?

QUOTE (qwerty @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
.218/.367/.395 in 150 plate appearances.

He hit .210/.287/.506 against righties in 181 plate appearances.

Career Stats are pretty even RH vs LH but slighty better vs LH. If the Sox resign Thome, I could see Jones DH'ing against lefties.

vs RHP: .256 .331 .485 .815

vs LHP: .261 .361 .499 .859

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
Career Stats are pretty even RH vs LH but slighty better vs LH. If the Sox resign Thome, I could see Jones DH'ing against lefties.

vs RHP: .256 .331 .485 .815

vs LHP: .261 .361 .499 .859

I probably wouldn't be too opposed to that. But I would accept it only after all other options are explored, which I believe KW covered in his..."the DH role might not be solved until the end of free agency" (paraphrased of course). I would believe Thome would be an end of FA choice at this point.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
I probably wouldn't be too opposed to that. But I would accept it only after all other options are explored, which I believe KW covered in his..."the DH role might not be solved until the end of free agency" (paraphrased of course). I would believe Thome would be an end of FA choice at this point.

I agree. If the Sox sign (or trade for) another power hitter, I have no problem with a cheaply signed Thome as DH. As others have said, I like the Jones deal as long as he stays a bench player.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
Very true....but that is not what I really meant. I am assuming that one of those 2 spots is going to be a "speed" or leadoff guy or *shudder* possibly even Danks. That to me makes that other spot almost HAVE to be someone that has some power or like I said at worst a guy like Matsui.

I wouldn't assume that (about getting a speed/leadoff guy). To me, the whole idea of looking specifically for a leadoff guy is silly anyway.

I love this move. Here's a good article from fangraphs last July talking about Jones' "resurgence." http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php...nger-resurgence

As Kalapse has stated, he was mashing until he started having health problems. As long as he's utilized correctly, combined with him staying reasonably healthy, and we have an absolute bargain on our hands for next year. Great, great move. I like this MUCH more than the Vizquel signing.

Edited by Jordan4life