Panic! At the Soxtalk

chisoxfan09

OK, this is not blasting Ozzie but he is happy with Jones/Kotsay et. al for the DH committee and thinks we don't need a middle of the order power lefty DH bat. WTF?? And KW may agree with him although he wants to get that bat. Man no way with this. We need that bat, hope KW over rules Ozzie as he did with the Peavy deal. We need more offense IMHO? Get er done Kenny!!! See link and paste below:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

CHICAGO -- Don't look for general manager Ken Williams to make one extra big splash by adding a full-time designated hitter to the White Sox attack during the next two months.

Trading for Juan Pierre on Tuesday put the White Sox 40-man roster at 40, for starters. But even more important than this total is manager Ozzie Guillen believes he has viable in-house candidates to fill the DH spot in Andruw Jones, Mark Kotsay and Jayson Nix.

"Ozzie and I have been speaking on that for quite a while, and we spoke on it again today," Williams said. "He would like to sit where we are right now. He likes the idea of having flexibility."

That flexibility means not having a designated hitter who solely hits, as the White Sox have gone with for most of the past four years in the form of Jim Thome. Of course, Thome was highly successful on the field and a major clubhouse influence, but Guillen likes the idea of being able to rotate players and using the DH spot for a break without offering a full day off.

Paul Konerko could slide into that position on occasion, with Kotsay playing first base. Omar Vizquel could even fill that role, giving the White Sox a little extra speed on a given day.

"Absolutely, yes," said Guillen on Tuesday, when asked if he liked the rotating-DH possibility. "And I don't want to hear people say we don't have a power hitter, that we need a guy who hits 40 homers or that Kenny and myself need to find a real DH. I'm excited with what we have."

What the White Sox have is enough power in the lineup to take advantage of hitter-friendly U.S. Cellular Field. What the White Sox have is one of the best pitching staffs in the American League. And what the White Sox have is enough versatility and talent to let Guillen's managerial creativity flow during the course of a 162-game season.

All of this potential can lead to success without Williams making that one more move he frequently talks about.

"I've given him some names, and this is a very critical last thing on our list," Williams said. "But I don't want to do anything that conflicts with what my manager wants.

"Regardless if I think there might be a need for another left-handed bat in middle of the lineup, he's the one in there, and I fully support how he sees the situation fitting and piecing it together. We'll continue to think about it. We have time, but not a whole lot, before we set a course of action."

Thoughts??

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of the Yanks and Red Sox (because they have seemingly unlimited funds), I truly believe all AL teams should employ a "DH by Committee" strategy.

1. Spend the $$$ elsewhere.

2. Play the matchups.

3. Provide more depth in case of an injury to an everyday position player.

4. Reduce the average age of an MLB player by two years, thus lowering health and life insurance costs.

5. Help support local farmers (cowhide).

QUOTE (supernuke @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
For some reason I get the feeling the KW was set on getting Bradley and Ozzie doesn't want him on the team.

The way the Sox are constructed, he'd actually fit in the lineup right now.

It's tempting. It would make things interesting, that's for sure.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
If not for 2005, would Ozzie still be our manager?

Do you remember how long Jerry Manuel was our manager?

With the way that CQ and PK have battled through injuries over the past few years, Kenny freaking better bring another high SLG guy into the fold. Even a declining Thome would provide a major boost.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 11:05 PM)
The way the Sox are constructed, he'd actually fit in the lineup right now.

It's tempting. It would make things interesting, that's for sure.

He's there for the taking, it's a risk, but it's incredibly logical. I'd bet that KW has the move in the back of his mind, but is looking elsewhere for now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
You guy believe Kenny Williams? Really?

Agreed. I'm not buying KW doing this yet. But Ozzie needs to STFU and let Kenny and the upper management make the decisions. Now.. if somehow KW agrees with Ozzie, Tyler Flowers better be getting alot of at bats to develop. Other than maybe Kotsay, I don't trust Jones/Vizquel/etc.. to do much. (not counting bunting (sac./drag/whatever) - Vizquel, homers - Jones)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
He's there for the taking, it's a risk, but it's incredibly logical. I'd bet that KW has the move in the back of his mind, but is looking elsewhere for now.

Kenny should definitely consider it. But I would hope that he's savvy enough to realize that his clubhouse isn't some sort of magical environment that will change Bradley.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
But Ozzie needs to STFU and let Kenny and the upper management make the decisions.

But if he did STFU for once, he wouldn't be Ozzie.

Edited by WCSox

L Pierre LF

R Beckham 2B

R Quentin RF

L AJ C

R Konerko 1B

R Ramirez SS

L Teahen 3B

R Rios CF

R Jones DH

I'm assuming Rios will be better

Pierre

Beckham

Quentin

Konerko

Rios

AJ

Lexi

Teahen

Jones

could be a lot of strikeouts in my eight and nine hole if Teahen doesn't get his act together. he's a non RBI guy who whiffs a lot; he has some talent; he needs to revamp his game a bit

Pierre

Beckham

Quentin

Konerko

Rios

AJ

Lexi

Teahen

Jones

could be a lot of strikeouts in my eight and nine hole if Teahen doesn't get his act together. he's a non RBI guy who whiffs a lot; he has some talent; he needs to revamp his game a bit

Greg, good comment. I am no fan whatsoever of Walker's success at reclamation projects off the scrap heap like Jones. Teahan won't excite me with that bat as long as Walker is mentoring him, that's for sure. Only time will tell as the season goes along.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)

Pierre

Beckham

Quentin

Konerko

Rios

AJ

Lexi

Teahen

Jones

You really think Ozzie is going to put 4 righties in a row like that?

BTW Teahen is going to be a stud here. Something is in the water here (or perhaps not in the case of flouride) but this is clearly the place hitters who have never lived up to expectations go to when they want restore their precious bodily fluids back to their natural states and thusly live up to those prior expectations which everyone on the planet except Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen believe are now impossible to reach. Don't stop believin.'

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 11:56 PM)

No offense, but his lineup was more realistic than yours was. Your probably right about the 4 righties in a row (which I'm sure just flip-flop AJ and Rios and there you go) but like wite said about Jordan Danks. I'll "eat s***" if I see A.J. hitting clean-up for us even with a rotating DH.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 11:56 PM)

BTW Teahen is going to be a stud here. Something is in the water here (or perhaps not in the case of flouride) but this is clearly the place hitters who have never lived up to expectations go to when they want restore their precious bodily fluids back to their natural states and thusly live up to those prior expectations which everyone on the planet except Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen believe are now impossible to reach. Don't stop believin.'

I figure that AJ will be our 3 hole hitter so Ozzie can get his lefty/righty break. Not that I would do that, but Ozzie loves to break up the righties and Ozzie has hit him there before.

Edited by southsideirish71