Panic! At the Soxtalk

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
Pierre will lead off and Beckham will likely hit 2nd. Because Ozzie doesn't like going with 3+ righties in a row, expect Kotsay, Teahen, or (probably) AJ hitting clean-up.

L Pierre LF

R Beckham 2B

R Quentin RF

L AJ C

R Konerko 1B

R Ramirez SS

L Teahen 3B

R Rios CF

R Jones DH

Start planning the parade route.

Oh god...

A.J. might be the worst cleanup hitter in the history of cleanup hitters.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be a very interesting year for Ozzie. Hypothetically if the sox do go through with this DH rotation, this is by far the most "National League" team he will probably ever have, which is his style entirely. He's got his bunters, more hit and run options, more overall speed, little better defense (some we will know for sure, more than others), etc.. IMO, if he doesn't win with this team this comming season (the team he wanted all along with "his" guys through trades/resignings) then he should be in either the very heavy hot seat (going into next season) or he should be fired. (I'll assume we will see more "Fire Ozzie" post like these on the board if we suck again.. it is soxtalk)

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
Sox Sunday lineup time...

L Pierre CF

R Vizquel 2B

L Teahen 3B

R Quentin RF

R Rios DH

L Kotsay 1B

R Ramirez SS

R Jones LF

R Random Sucky Guy C

Woo Hoo!

Now this.. I can actually see... :lolhitting

Edited by SoxAce

come on, it's kenny. we will add another big name bat somehow.

and for all the anti-ozzie talk, he should be our manager as long as he wants. i'm not sure anyone we can ever bring in will be that much better and i for one love having his as my manager.

let's also not forget that he is a young manager that should be learning and getting better every year.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 12:52 AM)
come on, it's kenny. we will add another big name bat somehow.

and for all the anti-ozzie talk, he should be our manager as long as he wants. i'm not sure anyone we can ever bring in will be that much better and i for one love having his as my manager.

let's also not forget that he is a young manager that should be learning and getting better every year.

I pretty much agree with this post.

Also, whichever admin changed the title of the thread is my new hero.

what i dont get is why we dont go back after thome ....only 14 teams could possibly be interested in him for an entire year...

add in the fact that he likely won't go play for a team not likely to compete, and throws the indians, royals, orioles, a's, blue jays (especially - halladay) out of the mix..there just can't be a whole lot of interest in him at this point, and even if there is he can't be very expensive...

at any rate...i guess i could be ok with Jones there, as I think there as at least the potential for a .800 OPS there. Its entirely possible that by the end of the season that spot will belong to Tyler Flowers (even though its just as possible that Flowers should be Catching with AJ DHing)

I just want to know why is it everyone who says KW is absolutely not lying when he talks about finances can say he's lying everytime he talks about players? Isn't even remotely possible when he uses the every dime that comes in goes out line, he's not being straight either?

There are a couple things about this rotating DH, if it is true, that are troublesome. First, the guys he apparently will use are bench players. Why in the AL would you have a bench player in the line-up everyday? Second, a lot of players struggle DHing. I know Frank Thomas did for a while. There's no guarantee even if it is for a game or two, the players won't have a difficult time adjusting. If the Sox are going to use a rotating DH, they need to acquire another every day player. Not spread it around and have reserves in the line-up all the time. It would be suicide.

What is interesting is KW has gone from getting personnel advise from Konerko and Thome and switched over to Ozzie, but I'm pretty sure he's BSing. No way KW would call it an offseason in the middle of December.

Edited by Dick Allen

If nothing else, we are a passionate bunch here at Soxtalk. It's not quite Christmas time and we are very excited (in good ways and bad) about the up and coming 2010 season. I'm not saying we should all relax because KW will get a big bat for the middle of the order. I'm hoping this happens, and I really don't believe much of what KW and Ozzie are spouting right now. We all know that KW leaks misleading information by actually saying nothing. We (and the media) take the comments he makes and try to decifer what the hell he is saying. For example, one could cull this board (and actually only look at the posts over past few days) and determine that the Sox will sign Delgado, Thome, Glaus, and a few other DH candidates.

Regardless of what happens (and I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for something good), our team's general manager gives up many a reason to talk. We can thank KW and Ozzie for keeping it interesting over these dark and dreary winter months. As the snow flies and the wind blows for the next few months, we can be kept warm by gathering around the fire that is Soxtalk.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 07:25 AM)
I just want to know why is it everyone who says KW is absolutely not lying when he talks about finances can say he's lying everytime he talks about players? Isn't even remotely possible when he uses the every dime that comes in goes out line, he's not being straight either?

There are a couple things about this rotating DH, if it is true, that are troublesome. First, the guys he apparently will use are bench players. Why in the AL would you have a bench player in the line-up everyday? Second, a lot of players struggle DHing. I know Frank Thomas did for a while. There's no guarantee even if it is for a game or two, the players won't have a difficult time adjusting. If the Sox are going to use a rotating DH, they need to acquire another every day player. Not spread it around and have reserves in the line-up all the time. It would be suicide.

What is interesting is KW has gone from getting personnel advise from Konerko and Thome and switched over to Ozzie, but I'm pretty sure he's BSing. No way KW would call it an offseason in the middle of December.

Because gamesmanship to hide what moves you are working on is different than deceiving people on what money he has. What would KW gain by not spending all of the money at his disposal? Would he purposely not spend money to not field the best team hecan to lose his job? It doesn't make sense to not use all of his resources. Now might JR not give all of the money available to KW? The is possible and probable. JR has responsibilities to other pepople not just the 25 man roster. These include the minor leagues, ballpark employess and the other investors. It just doesn't make sense that KW wouldn't use all of the resources available to him to field the best team he can. You may disagree with how he is doing it but that doesn't mean the resources aren't being expended.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
If not for 2005, would Ozzie still be our manager?

Yes. He still has more division titles and winning seasons than any other manager in recent memory. The sox used to go to the playoffs essentially once a decade. Since KW and Ozzie have taken over the team they have been very successful compared to previous administrations.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)
Agreed. I'm not buying KW doing this yet. But Ozzie needs to STFU and let Kenny and the upper management make the decisions. Now.. if somehow KW agrees with Ozzie, Tyler Flowers better be getting alot of at bats to develop. Other than maybe Kotsay, I don't trust Jones/Vizquel/etc.. to do much. (not counting bunting (sac./drag/whatever) - Vizquel, homers - Jones)

All he did was buy him some negotiating space. That's all.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 12:06 AM)
Guys, he's f***ing with you.

Yeah, I got freaked out by this at first too, but come on, KW isn't THAT stupid. He didn't go out and spend $25-30million on Peavy and Rios just to cycle bench players into DH all year. I mean he's basically saying, "Well, Ozzie doesn't want any good hitters, and I want to respect that.".

I don't want a bench player to necessarily be the DH, but I do want a DH that can play the field and maybe leg out a double. If Q or PK get a sore pinky toe, I want the flexibility to shuffle things and maybe be able to move the DH to 1b or LF. If the mystery DH happens to be the hottest hitter on the team when the Sox play in the NL parks, then Ozzie can find a way to get him in the lineup. I don't want the Sox to have to make the choice to put a limping TCQ in left because they can't afford to lose the bat. Having a DH only is almost like having one less roster spot. Obviously if the DH can hit .280 with 40 HR, that may help make up for it a bit. I doubt the Sox are going to get a pure DH of Frank Thomas in his prime quality this offseason and fit him in the budget.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)
Yes. He still has more division titles and winning seasons than any other manager in recent memory. The sox used to go to the playoffs essentially once a decade. Since KW and Ozzie have taken over the team they have been very successful compared to previous administrations.

You're right. That was kinda knee-jerk. I've just had it with his obsession with rotating DH's and DH flexibility. Ozzie would be so much better off in the NL.

Essentially Guillen does not want to have a guy that when they play those 12 games in the NL park, they are unavaialble.

What Guillen wants are platoon type guys that he can use for certain matchups. This works well in this division as I have seen enough of the Cy Youngification of s*** pitchers.

I think something is going to happen and it is going to be related to John Danks and his contract situation.

I just dont see Danks being traded before we get a chance to see this rotation work. If they force Hudson into the rotation and he regresses, and/or if Garcia has health/ineffectiveness issues then the Sox are yet again playing russian roulette with the 4th and 5th slots in the rotation.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
Essentially Guillen does not want to have a guy that when they play those 12 games in the NL park, they are unavaialble.

What Guillen wants are platoon type guys that he can use for certain matchups. This works well in this division as I have seen enough of the Cy Youngification of s*** pitchers.

I think something is going to happen and it is going to be related to John Danks and his contract situation.

Would you guys be okay with losing the Danks brothers if it meant landing Adrian Gonzalez?

...or they could just hold on to one of the best young pitchers in baseball and sign one of the many DH types on the market.

Who is going to make a bad pitcher look like Cy Young more: Jones/Kotsay/Vizquel at DH or someone like Jack Cust or Nick Johnson at DH? Choosing to go with Jones/Kotsay/Vizquel over a "traditional" DH that can smack the snot out of the ball is not going to make the Sox offense better.