4 Beckham

9 Quentin

B Delgado

3 Konerko

2 AJ

8 Rios

5 Teahan

6 Ramirez

If they can sign Delgado I think the Sox would have a chance to be amongst the top teams in the league. A pretty nice offseason for KW considering all his moves had some "what is he thinking?" to them and most importantly he didn't have to part with Hudson, Flowers, etc... to get it done.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delgado pissed off a lot of people in New York when he refused to stand for the playing of "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch. I'm not sure that I'd want somebody like that on my team. I respect his personal beliefs and all, but he needs to act like a professional and check those beliefs at the door when he shows up to work. The fact that he'll be 38 next year and is coming off of a season-ending injury makes me want him even less.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
Delgado pissed off a lot of people in New York when he refused to stand for the playing of "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch. I'm not sure that I'd want somebody like that on my team. I respect his personal beliefs and all, but he needs to act like a professional and check those beliefs at the door when he shows up to work. The fact that he'll be 38 next year and is coming off of a season-ending injury makes me want him even less.

I believe that act was more to point at the unjustness of the U.S. involvement in the Iraq war, as opposed to just general anti-Americanism.

Most would rather he do this in some other way I suppose. The song itself is a little silly. God bless this country, make sure it's just this one country..ok now..bless it!

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
I believe that act was more to point at the unjustness of the U.S. involvement in the Iraq war, as opposed to just general anti-Americanism.

Again, you're at work to work, not to draw attention to yourself and to anger your employer's clientele.

My employer supports affirmative action, which I consider to be institutionalized discrimination. Yet, I check those beliefs at the door every morning.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
... just not enough to feel he deserves an equal opportunity at employment.

This is a really dumb response.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
Again, you're at work to work, not to draw attention to yourself and to anger your employer's clientele.

My employer supports affirmative action, which I consider to be institutionalized discrimination. Yet, I check those beliefs at the door every morning.

Most athletes would rather not be role models, but basically what society has told them is..the way you carry yourself does influence popular thought and the way kids view the world.

So if we're saddling them with this, we have to be OK with them making a visible point about the things they believe in.

Whereas what you and I do at work, making a spectacle, isnt having too large an impact.

Most of us would be in agreement that they shouldnt be role models. But since they unfortunately have to be, I'd rather they say something they believe in and show they have a thought in their head besides party all night/hit ball during the day.

I feel the same way about Jared Allen and political comments he makes in the media, even though I'm on a different side than what his views are.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
Most athletes would rather not be role models, but basically what society has told them is..the way you carry yourself does influence popular thought and the way kids view the world.

So if we're saddling them with this, we have to be OK with them making a visible point about the things they believe in.

Whereas what you and I do at work, making a spectacle, isnt having too large an impact.

Most of us would be in agreement that they shouldnt be role models. But since they unfortunately have to be, I'd rather they do something they believe in and show they have a thought in their head besides party all night/hit ball during the day.

I feel the same way about Jared Allen and political comments he makes in the media, even though I'm on a different side than what his views are.

I completely disagree with this. Players can be activists in their free time, but they need to knock it off and act like professionals while they're at work. Baseball is a business that caters to a very socially and politically diverse clientele. Players who alienate large portions of their fan base will cost their employers money. And that's unacceptable.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
I completely disagree with this. Players can be activists in their free time, but they need to knock it off and act like professionals while they're at work. Baseball is a business that caters to a very socially and politically diverse clientele. Players who alienate large portions of their fan base will cost their employers money. And that's unacceptable.

Kids are going to copy athletes. If they have to copy the PED use, party lifestyle and onfield beanball-response scuffling.....then lets have them copy some of the more intellectual parts of life as well.

Unfortunately for each athlete with half a thought in his head, there are maybe 8 Kyle Farnsworths.

Michael Jordan couldve used his leverage to sway Nike away from their practices in overseas manufacturing of the shoes (and probably couldve created some jobs here too in so doing).........instead his response was "Republicans buy Nikes too." His line of thinking is I suppose what you're espousing, that the athlete should pretend to be completely oblivious to the political agendas going on around him.

EDIT: actually i'm confusing that quote with the Jesse Helms campaign question, but it's pretty much MJ's standard line of thinking for anything political - he remains vanilla.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
Kids are going to copy athletes. If they have to copy the PED use, party lifestyle and onfield beanball-response scuffling.....then lets have them copy some of the more intellectual parts of life as well.

What is "intellectual" about refusing to stand to honor America during the 7th inning stretch? I interpret that as selfishness and a lack of respect for rules at the workplace, which aren't exactly traits that I want to pass on to my children.

No kidding that PED use, excessive partying, and beanballing are bad messages to send children. But that doesn't mean that non-compliance with workplace rules should be excused because the former transgressions are more ethically dubious. Wrong is wrong, no matter where it falls on the scale of poor ethical behavior.

Michael Jordan couldve used his leverage to sway Nike away from their practices in overseas manufacturing of the shoes (and probably couldve created some jobs here too in so doing).........instead his response was "Republicans buy Nikes too." His line of thinking is I suppose what you're espousing, that the athlete should pretend to be completely oblivious to the political agendas going on around him.

You're confusing two different scenarios here. MJ's "Republicans buy sneakers too" quote was in response to a push for him to support a Democrat for a Senate run.

If MJ didn't like the way that Nike was doing business, he should've ended his relationship with them. That would've been much more professional (and effective) than speaking out against their practices while he was on their payroll.

EDIT: actually i'm confusing that quote with the Jesse Helms campaign question, but it's pretty much MJ's standard line of thinking for anything political - he remains vanilla.

And what's wrong with that? It's MJ's life and he can do what he wants with it. A lot of the people who criticized him for "not being an agent for social change" were more interested in using him to push their own political agendas and further their own careers. I'm pretty sure that MJ saw right through that and resented the idea of being used in that way.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
But that doesn't mean that non-compliance with workplace rules should be excused because the former transgressions are more ethically dubious. Wrong is wrong, no matter where it falls on the scale of ethics.

Do we know for sure that the employees there are required to stand during God Bless America? It's not a national anthem...

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
What is "intellectual" about refusing to stand to honor America during the 7th inning stretch? I interpret that as selfishness and a lack of respect for rules at the workplace, which aren't exactly traits that I want to pass on to my children.

I actually like Delgado for refusing to stand for the 7th inning stretch. I think it's borderline brainwashing to have everyone stand up and "honor" our country in a forcibly-obligative manner.

I actually refused to stand up for the Pledge of Alligience all throughout high school and middle school because I just didn't believe in it. I think forcing kids to say the Pledge in schools is similar to various activities kids had to do under Hitler Youth.

People should not think that having a dissenting stance on our country is a bad thing. In fact, having a dissenting and nonconformist stance on our country is more patriotic than having the stance of someone who mindlessly chant "Go USA" and stand for every pledge and "God Bless USA" song like a brainwashed zombie.

I wish more people was like Delgado.

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
Is this a political forum now or still a baseball forum? Threads like this are one reason I hope the Sox stay away from the likes of Delgado.

Actually, I began and ended my last post by mentioning Delgado, so it's still a baseball thread ;)