Failed terrorist attack in Detroit

Balta1701

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 05:45 PM)
I would not call them terrorists. Criminals possible, even murderers, but not terrorists.

But they are "terrorists" for liberals - it's all the fault of the imperialist United States.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 07:38 PM)
But they are "terrorists" for liberals - it's all the fault of the imperialist United States.

By definition, terrorism is targeting civilians with violence in order to achieve a political aim. While Blackwater has hit Civilians before, it's hard to argue that they're doing so deliberately or to cause political influence.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 07:16 PM)
By definition, terrorism is targeting civilians with violence in order to achieve a political aim. While Blackwater has hit Civilians before, it's hard to argue that they're doing so deliberately or to cause political influence.

Just remember, you are one of the people who think that America is at fault for everything bad. Capitalism, imperialism, you know, all the stuff that the GOP stands for... :lol:

(And yes, I'm kidding).

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 08:18 PM)
Just remember, you are one of the people who think that America is at fault for everything bad. Capitalism, imperialism, you know, all the stuff that the GOP stands for... :lol:

(And yes, I'm kidding).

So wait, both capitalism and imperialism are good? :lolhitting

Actually Blackwater does it for the one reason that GOPerheads always like, to make some money! So if conservatives like it, it must be bad. Just give us a few minutes to figure out why.

I kid because I care

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
I'm sure the MSM will be full of retractions and corrections to set the story straight after running with a rumor as fact.

Supposedly the NYT ran a correction on December 30th. Impressive how little that got picked up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
Supposedly the NYT ran a correction on December 30th. Impressive how little that got picked up.

Was it buried on page 42D underneath the ad for Barry's Discount Bras, like their retractions usually are?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
It helped employees of the Obama admin, that's why they were out in front of this apology.

So, your perspective is that it would be better off for them to have left a false statement out in the public mind, and perhaps continued repeating it, regardless of reality?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
So, your perspective is that it would be better off for them to have left a false statement out in the public mind, and perhaps continued repeating it, regardless of reality?

I think you are well aware that his perspective is that it would be nice if all their retractions were posted front and center instead of some being selectivly buried.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
I think you are well aware that his perspective is that it would be nice if all their retractions were posted front and center instead of some being selectivly buried.

I don't see how you get "well aware" based on what he posted.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)

My perspective is that Republican's aren't afford that same "courtesy" by the NYT. And yes, I thought that was pretty obvious.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
My perspective is that Republican's aren't afford that same "courtesy" by the NYT. And yes, I thought that was pretty obvious.

I'm not sure which easy way to attack this to take.

First, you've set up a very specific case here. Can you provide a case of the NYT refusing to provide a correction on something that would benefit the Republicans? And specifically on an obvious fact, like this case, where it is something that is easily documented?

Second, I assume I can therefore conclude that the people who haven't offered corrections, including: CNN, Fox, Time, Newsweek, the AP, the Washington Post, the New York Times, the Boston Globe, Gannett News Service, the Pittsburgh Tribune Review, the Sacramento Bee, the Globe and Mail, the Washington Times, Congressional Quarterly, and the Today Show...all are conservative media outlets, since they keep repeating this.

The GOP gets so much mileage out of activist judges, liberal media, and oh poor me. They have no real power left in this country. The damn press has taken it all away along with motherhood and apple pie. :lolhitting It is an awesome strategy, I wish the dems had thought of it first. Every problem with the party, and any wrong doing by a REP is explained by media bias. It is a beautiful thing. The media has proped up the Dem party for years. I'm not certain why, that has never been explained. Kudos to the GOP. I'm not certain who came up with that strategy but it has been brilliantly used to the point where this generation will argue the point forever.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
The GOP gets so much mileage out of activist judges, liberal media, and oh poor me. They have no real power left in this country. The damn press has taken it all away along with motherhood and apple pie. :lolhitting It is an awesome strategy, I wish the dems had thought of it first. Every problem with the party, and any wrong doing by a REP is explained by media bias. It is a beautiful thing. The media has proped up the Dem party for years. I'm not certain why, that has never been explained. Kudos to the GOP. I'm not certain who came up with that strategy but it has been brilliantly used to the point where this generation will argue the point forever.

You're pretty much 100% right with this, it's been repeated so many times that it's just blindly accepted as fact any time someone brings it up, and whether it's actually valid or not.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)

Excellent post.