Failed terrorist attack in Detroit

Balta1701

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
Stratfor reporting White House and NSC may come out with new AQ threat agiainst America.

Report titled "Al Qaeda Attack On American Soil Possible."....FWIW

I saw something about that this morning. Supposedly, they have intel that is unusually specific, including a time frame, and that it involves aviation, from AQAP. But no location info. Seems odd to release that much detail.

I'm getting really tired of the Republicans acting like Al-Qaida's hype men. Frankly, their panic and consistent overreaction makes for successful terrorist attacks. Getting on TV and cowering like a p**** (while pretending to sound tough) is the exact opposite of helping. Isn't this the home of the brave? f***ing act like it or remove that line from the national anthem.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
I'm getting really tired of the Republicans acting like Al-Qaida's hype men. Frankly, their panic and consistent overreaction makes for successful terrorist attacks. Getting on TV and cowering like a p**** (while pretending to sound tough) is the exact opposite of helping. Isn't this the home of the brave? f***ing act like it or remove that line from the national anthem.

Wut?

I'm getting really tired of the Republicans Democrats acting like Al-Qaida's hype men b****es. Frankly, their panic and consistent overreaction cowtowing makes for successful terrorist attacks. Getting on TV and cowering like a p**** (while pretending to sound tough) is the exact opposite of helping. Isn't this the home of the brave? f***ing act like it or remove that line from the national anthem.

Right? :lol:

It goes both ways, and there is a realistic middle ground somewhere.

I really wasn't exaggerating or joking, there is a cadre (Giuliani and Cheney always, we will throw Lieberman into this too, and a few others) that does the EXACT SAME s*** every time something vaguely terrorist-related is in the news. Really they do purely to score political points and not out of any actual concern but it has a different effect than they think.

I don't know what this Democrats kowtowing stuff is, that's just part of the standard rhetoric from the Republicans. Democrats tend to point out flaws in policies or how war doesn't really help terrorism (i.e., the same stuff I say on here all the time) and the message either gets lost in translation or deliberately distorted in the noise machine. Aside from the occasional outlier like Reid saying "the war is lost" I don't see Democrats actually undermining any counterterrorism policies. Obama's is mostly the same as Bush's but it's low-profile and he uses different language, on purpose. Which isn't good enough for Cheney, that amounts to neglect. And I swear to God, Dick Cheney has to be the biggest gift the United States has given al-Qaida.

As my post said, there has to be a middle ground. Why?

When you take the low road, and don't publicly go out there and do what you need to do in the right way, it does empower a certain element of not standing up for what you need to stand up for.

Now, I know Rex is going to come in here and say he's hitting the perfect tune, and you are too, and he's going through the back channels asserting what he needs to. But I don't believe it, quite frankly. Not by some of the stuff that's happening and the way it is.

I do think that Cheney and Gu91an1 needs to STFU, though. They aren't in the loop anymore, and that alone is enough.

I actually have no idea what you're talking about so I can't even respond. Failing to do what empowers whom? And why? I don't even know what you're calling for.

FWIW this is how it played in the Arab press - the last week or so of December it got ignored, or got a very vague passing mention in most outlets with the exception of maybe one Saudi newspaper that's heavily anti-AQ. The narrative of Islamic terrorists just doesn't really get that much play there anymore unless it's something big, and all the news was about Gaza (it always is). Then after some of the talking heads started hyperventilating they started covering it except the tone is "what the hell is wrong with the Americans?"

The fact that Obama waited a few days to make a statement and didn't interrupt his vacation didn't do any strategic damage at all, whereas if he had, that's the reaction they want us to have. I can't imagine they actually thought a failed terrorist attack where the dude ends up setting his balls on fire would actually end up being a successful terrorist attack but the cadre of p*****s on TV alley-ooped that for them.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 06:19 AM)
I actually have no idea what you're talking about so I can't even respond. Failing to do what empowers whom? And why? I don't even know what you're calling for.

FWIW this is how it played in the Arab press - the last week or so of December it got ignored, or got a very vague passing mention in most outlets with the exception of maybe one Saudi newspaper that's heavily anti-AQ. The narrative of Islamic terrorists just doesn't really get that much play there anymore unless it's something big, and all the news was about Gaza (it always is). Then after some of the talking heads started hyperventilating they started covering it except the tone is "what the hell is wrong with the Americans?"

The fact that Obama waited a few days to make a statement and didn't interrupt his vacation didn't do any strategic damage at all, whereas if he had, that's the reaction they want us to have. I can't imagine they actually thought a failed terrorist attack where the dude ends up setting his balls on fire would actually end up being a successful terrorist attack but the cadre of p*****s on TV alley-ooped that for them.

:lolhitting

You made my morning.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 06:19 AM)

I think the big problem with this is that the only thing that separated this from being a successful attack was blind luck. The system completely failed. That is the important thing that everyone seems to be forgetting here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
I think the big problem with this is that the only thing that separated this from being a successful attack was blind luck. The system completely failed. That is the important thing that everyone seems to be forgetting here.

The issue then is...what do you do in response to that? Race back to D.C., hold public meetings with the victims families (even though there aren't any?), start bombing places randomly? Or do you order a rapid, immediate set of investigations into what went wrong and start looking at new procedures to try to make sure it doesn't fail again? I could see a few firings if there were specific people who failed, but again, this looks like specific systemic issues that still haven't been fixed because of lack of communication, turf wars, combined with lack of security funds overseas.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:24 AM)
The issue then is...what do you do in response to that? Race back to D.C., hold public meetings with the victims families (even though there aren't any?), start bombing places randomly? Or do you order a rapid, immediate set of investigations into what went wrong and start looking at new procedures to try to make sure it doesn't fail again? I could see a few firings if there were specific people who failed, but again, this looks like specific systemic issues that still haven't been fixed because of lack of communication, turf wars, combined with lack of security funds overseas.

Or act like we weren't this close to 300 dead people...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:27 AM)
What do you mean "Act like it"?

Spell it out, what more should be done publicly?

The whole liberal attack machine has been in full throat to shout down anything that suggests this should be a big deal. Look no further than here or the Democrats thread for great examples. It is kind of hard to act like this is a big deal when you as a party go out of your way to down play that an airplane was almost blown up full of passengers. Let's start by acknowledging what happened here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
The whole liberal attack machine has been in full throat to shout down anything that suggests this should be a big deal. Look no further than here or the Democrats thread for great examples. It is kind of hard to act like this is a big deal when you as a party go out of your way to down play that an airplane was almost blown up full of passengers. Let's start by acknowledging what happened here.

This is a joke right? Someone has denied its a big deal? Someone is failing to acknowledge it?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)

:lolhitting

If it wasn't for this thread I probably never would have known there was a failed terrorist attack. That dang liberal MSM always covering up for Obama.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
So I am sure you don't see mocking the other side for their worry about what happened as being important, but that pretty much is the point here. I know you don't get that.

I don't see that at all, actually. I see that there are a bunch of Republican talking heads trying to take this opportunity to revise history so that 9/11 happened before George Bush took office or to say that Obama's three days before speaking publicly about this attempt was worse than Bush waiting six days before speaking about the shoe bomber's attempt, I see a bunch of people complaining about how its such a hassle to fly and making disparaging comments about the TSA. I see a lot of people grumbling that we overreacted.

So maybe you can show me some concrete examples or where the "left" or the administration has mocked anyone for being concerned about the failures in the administration. Maybe it was somewhere in that speech where Barack Obama took responsibility for the failures in the system, and I was just so surprised by someone in federal government accepting responsibility for a failure that his heckles towards the Republicans went unnoticed by me.

So your answer to this is no, you can't point to a single example of a public official or "liberal media conspiracy" has mocked anyone for being concerned about the failures of our security apparatus. Thank you for making my point for me.

Pardon me if I consider the voices in this message board to be less influential than those of the broadcast media and elected officials.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)
So your answer to this is no, you can't point to a single example of a public official or "liberal media conspiracy" has mocked anyone for being concerned about the failures of our security apparatus. Thank you for making my point for me.

Pardon me if I consider the voices in this message board to be less influential than those of the broadcast media and elected officials.

LMAO. Half of the "liberal media conspiracy" is quoted right here in this thread. Whatever. I'm just being "biased".