2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 2, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
Oh no! Strasburg gave up 3 ER today!? I wonder if they'll use this to foolishly keep him in AA for another start.

I don't have a problem with him pitching in Double-A. It doesn't make sense for the Nats to have him in the Majors now due to service time and losing that extra year of cheapness, and he's clearly too good for the minors, so does it really make much difference if he's dominating double-A lineups compared to dominating triple-A lineups?

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 2, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
I don't have a problem with him pitching in Double-A. It doesn't make sense for the Nats to have him in the Majors now due to service time and losing that extra year of cheapness, and he's clearly too good for the minors, so does it really make much difference if he's dominating double-A lineups compared to dominating triple-A lineups?

Not at all. I just found it silly for them to say that today's start would dictate whether they move him to AAA or not.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 2, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)

As I posted a page ago...even if they wanted to call him up to the big leagues...they wouldn't gain anything. He's contractually limited to 100 innings in the big leagues this year, no more. If they want to build up his arm, they need to take their time with him in the minors and get him some innings there.

Mike Stanton having a season for the ages (and it's only May 2). .354/.505/.866/1.370. What's most impressive is the 25/24 BB/K ratio. Hard to believe this guy was a second rounder. And you know we'd never be able to identify a super talent like this (I know, I know. Other teams passed on him too). Just saying that the crock of s*** that was "well, the Sox haven't had a top 10 pick since 1990" is exactly that...a crock of s***. Another guy that's been making a mockery of AA is Tanner Scheppers. Small sample size (11 innings). But the numbers are beyond filthy: 11 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 19 K, .079 BAA. We're too busy drafting the Josh Phegley's of the world 6 picks earlier.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 2, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
Mike Stanton having a season for the ages (and it's only May 2). .354/.505/.866/1.370. What's most impressive is the 25/24 BB/K ratio. Hard to believe this guy was a second rounder. And you know we'd never be able to identify a super talent like this (I know, I know. Other teams passed on him too). Just saying that the crock of s*** that was "well, the Sox haven't had a top 10 pick since 1990" is exactly that...a crock of s***. Another guy that's been making a mockery of AA is Tanner Scheppers. Small sample size (11 innings). But the numbers are beyond filthy: 11 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 19 K, .079 BAA. We're too busy drafting the Josh Phegley's of the world 6 picks earlier.

If I'm not mistaken, he had signability issues and/or teams were scared off he was seriously committed to college. Stanton was a 1st rounder on talent alone I believe. And you weren't around J4L when I was clamoring (as was fathom, SoxFan1, Jason, etc..) for Scheppers in the last draft. I liked that kid alot, didn't love him (as say.. Rex Brothers/Luke Bailey) as he was asking for alot of dough at the time (1st round money) and was comming off of Tommy John surgery though he did have 1st round stuff. I did like the Phegley pick though. Dude can rake it, just hasn't translated it with the wood bat.

EDIT: Here was the thread last year. http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72142

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 04:16 AM)

Scheppers was a signability guy. Texas paid him $1.25m which is more than the Sox gave Mitchell, so it's not the same at all. Stanton was just great scouting and player development by the Marlins. He wasn't considered an elite draft prospect, Baseball America had him ranked 128th pre-draft, perfect game in the 5th round rage and he signed for more or less slot money in the 2nd round.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 2, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
Stanton was just great scouting and player development by the Marlins. He wasn't considered an elite draft prospect, Baseball America had him ranked 128th pre-draft, perfect game in the 5th round rage and he signed for more or less slot money in the 2nd round.

I stand corrected.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 2, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
If I'm not mistaken, he had signability issues and/or teams were scared off he was seriously committed to college. Stanton was a 1st rounder on talent alone, and a top 5 high school recruit. And you weren't around J4L when I was clamoring (as was fathom, SoxFan1, Jason, etc..) for Scheppers in the last draft. I liked that kid alot, didn't love him (as say.. Rex Brothers/Luke Bailey) as he was asking for alot of dough (1st round money) and was comming off of Tommy John surgery though he did have 1st round stuff. I did like the Phegley pick though. Dude can rake it, just hasn't translated it with the wood bat.

EDIT: Here was the thread last year. http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72142

This just reinforces the fact that instead of putting 100+ million into incredibly flawed major league rosters every year that more needs to be devoted to the draft. I'm not even talking about Stanton. This organization is just clueless when it comes to identifying, let alone actially signing, premier talent. And Beckham does not count. Not even I could've botched a top 10 pick in the '08 draft. And I for one hated the Phegley pick. And many of the "experts" thought he was a severe overdraft. There's doubt that he can even stick at catcher. Making the pick even more despicable. And I, like you, liked Scheppers a lot. I knew he was asking for a lot. And like usual, we passed. And that's a reason why this team is running in quicksand right now.

Oh, and did you know the Marlins were REALLY, REALLY close to taking Heyward with the 12 pick in 2007? They obviously went with Matt Dominguez instead. But could you imagine Heyward/Stanton in the same organization? Sick.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 2, 2010 -> 11:36 PM)
Scheppers was a signability guy. Texas paid him $1.25m which is more than the Sox gave Mitchell, so it's not the same at all. Stanton was just great scouting and player development by the Marlins. He wasn't considered an elite draft prospect, Baseball America had him ranked 128th pre-draft, perfect game in the 5th round rage and he signed for more or less slot money in the 2nd round.

See my response to ace. Like I said, more needs to be devoted to scouting/draft. Obviously the way we're currently doing things isn't working. I wasn't even really citing Scheppers and Stanton as examples. This has been a problem WAY before those two guys came out.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 4, 2010 -> 12:11 AM)
Joe Borchard hit for the cycle last night. I know he's a bust of epic proportion. But I still kinda like him.

I can't believe he is still playing. What does a guy usually make at AAA?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
I can't believe he is still playing. What does a guy usually make at AAA?

I hope he has money leftover from when he signed. I think they make close to $60,000 at the least.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 4, 2010 -> 07:35 AM)
I hope he has money leftover from when he signed. I think they make close to $60,000 at the least.

Borchard is a pretty sharp guy and he has had some time at the major league level. From what I know he's invested his money, now who knows if he got bit by the real estate market or not .

QUOTE (daggins @ May 4, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
I doubt he'd even put up a line that good, but beyond that he's a corner outfielder, he's 26, and he has almost a 5-1 k/BB ratio in AAA.

Not as of this moment, he'd be terrible right now. It's 5:1 this year and about a 4.5:1 ratio over 250 PAs in overall AAA, but he might be a bit more disciplined than that and getting a feel for the league, because he's shown decent walk totals before.

I guess I'm just intrigued by him more than anything. He's a guy that is never mentioned because he's not a high upside guy, but he seems like he can be a lefty masher at the very least and if he can do anything at all against righties he might be a league average starter.

Gartrell would be a solid utility OF. (possibly play all three OF positions, though more suited in the corners) Nothing more, nothing less, though he could POSSIBLY be a late bloomer. If that's the case, I can't see him fitting here. That's just my opinion.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2010 -> 01:45 AM)
This. And it's getting sad.

Sad that we can't get him, sad that Boras is representing more and more guys, or sad that we don't sign Boras guys?