Kevin Jarvis?

dasox24

I was over at WSI browsing around, and I saw a post that said that Bruce Levine said that he expects the Sox to make a deal for the Padres Kevin Jarvis. Has anyone here heard this? By the way, I'm asking because I trust people here more than WSI.

Its been mentioned a few times on the radio. Don't know what would be offered but he makes 3 mill this year, 4.5 next year and there is 2005 option for him at like 5 mill.

Been really good this season after coming back from an injury. Don't think the Sox would have to give up anything for him (Like a fringe guy) but would they be willing to add all that payroll or would the Pads be willing to pick up part of next years contract cause it seems pretty steep considering how much other guys are gonna make.

Heck you can sign Ponson long term for around 6 mill a year.

Hands down Suppan makes more sense cause he makes absolutely nothing this year.

Question is what would it cost to get him cause he won't be a payroll dump. I'm assuming the Pirates expect a good prospect for him.

Maybe they'd take Porzio though

Wow Suppan had a rough year in KC last year.  Also his numbers and the fact he is in Pittsburgh just eerily remind me of one Toad Ritchie.  Still he would be a proven starter in our 5 spot which is all we can really ask for without giving up good prospects.

mentioning ritchie, where is he and how is he doing?

mentioning ritchie, where is he and how is he doing?

He pitched 5 games for Milwaukee this year. He has a 5.08 ERA in those 5 starts this year. He got hurt and had season ending surgery on his shoulder.

He pitched 5 games for Milwaukee this year.  He has a 5.08 ERA in those 5 starts this year.  He got hurt and had season ending surgery on his shoulder.

if you really know me i hate Lacrosse

man when it rains it pours, i feel for him

Jarvis has won his last 4 decisions, which we 2 against the D'Backs (one against the Unit) and 2 against the Giants, on Saturday he handed them their only loss on a 9-game homestand.

He is currently being talked about in a deal for JD Drew, but if that deal doesn't go down, KW ought to be watching closely and make a late call Thursday night to Kevin Towers.

There's our fifth starter.

Jarvis has won his last 4 decisions, which we 2 against the D'Backs (one against the Unit) and 2 against the Giants, on Saturday he handed them their only loss on a 9-game homestand.

He is currently being talked about in a deal for JD Drew, but if that deal doesn't go down, KW ought to be watching closely and make a late call Thursday night to Kevin Towers.

There's our fifth starter.

Who do we have that is the equivilant of JD Drew, would you want to deal? Basically the only guy I can think of is Carlos, and I don't do that deal right now.

There were scouts at the game yesterday from San Diego, San Francisco, and Baltimore, so there might be some fire to this smoke.

Jarvis will be 34 on Friday, he's been around a while, but he knows how to pitch.

I always liked Suppan, but the AL Central knows him really well. Maybe some of his success this year is due to NL hitters being unfamiliar with him?

It would be nice to dip into the minors for a 5th starter, but no one is doing anything down there, with the exception of Cotts, who's not on the 40-man.

Rauch is struggling, Diaz is doing just ok, we've seen Porzio, and Dan Wright has had a rough year altogether. Brain Cooper? Maybe, but I'd rather have a proven veteran in a pennant race.

It'll all come down to what it costs.

If the Sox really like Jarvis and think he's healthy, it may make sense for this year and beyond. Remember, we've got Colon as a FA after the year and we'll need 5 starters ... Buehrle, Garland, Loiaza, maybe Jarvis, and a kid?

Could be.

I doubt suppan will be cheap... pittsburgh is already taking a beating for the seemingly one sided trades done so far... and since suppan is not an expensive player, they have little reason to trade him, since we lack top notch prospects they will want.

I heard Levine saying on CLTV's Sports Page that the Padres were scouting the Sox minor league system and that they were probably there because of a Jarvis deal. I'd love to get Jarvis. He was on my fantasy team a year or 2 ago and he is a solid pitcher. He had a lot of quality starts and it looks like he is doing that again this year. We'd have to give up something pretty good for him though.

Jarvis is worth a roll of the dice as long as the price is a low-level minor-league AND the Padres eat his salary for the rest of this season -- as the Sox did in several of those bone-headed deals this year.

just got back from watching Charlotte play tonight. Stayed three innings until the rain blew in.

Forget Brian Cooper. He got raked by a struggling Reds' triple A team. Dernell Stinson hit one about 425 feet and then an infielder hitting 9th in the order hit one out, too.

Knights were down 5-1 in the third.

the good news: Michael Rivera and Tim Hummel both looked good. Hummel hit one into the gap in left center. Word is he played a solid third base all weekend. Rivera has been hitting the ball hard for a month.

Even Armando Rios -- smelling salts, please -- had a single to right field against Lance Davis, a left-handed pitcher!!!!!

But scratch Cooper. Guys around the park said Wright threw well Saturday except for one long ball. And everybody said Ryan Kohlmeier pitched well Friday.

He might deserve a look. He did well as the Orioles closer for about 6 weeks a couple of seasons ago. He could probably handle the Rick White role.

Thanks for the Charlotte update, interesting observations.

I'd agree on Cooper.

On Kohlmeier, his biggest problem is control. It always has been. He definitely has the "stuff" and the bulldog mentality to do the long relief role, but if he's walking a guy or more every other inning, it's a mess.

With Dan Wright, his problem appears to be as much mental as physical. At this point, it might be better off for him and the White Sox if he just stays at AAA for the rest of the year, and comes up when the rosters expand. I'd rather see him get consistent innings so maybe he can contribute next year.

If there's no other option though (no trade), maybe Wright is all we've got.