All White Basketball League to Form

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
I agree with our nation having issues. I remember when I graduated from high school, they had scholarships strictly for women or racial minorities. But that's not racist nor sexist. But it someone was to set up a scholarship strictly for white males, it could be called both.

This idea of an all white league is beyond rediculous, but if they wanted me I'd probably play.

I don't want to send this to the Filibuster (I'm the one that would do it since I mod both forums, lol), but there's never been a point in history where white males were denied rights or opportunity or were disadvantaged as a result of having been denied, like women and minorities. That's the origin of those kind of scholarships anyway. One could argue over whether that's still needed, but that would be a different argument.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
I don't want to send this to the Filibuster (I'm the one that would do it since I mod both forums, lol), but there's never been a point in history where white males were denied rights or opportunity or were disadvantaged as a result of having been denied, like women and minorities. That's the origin of those kind of scholarships anyway. One could argue over whether that's still needed, but that would be a different argument.

I was in agreeance with Quinarvy about this nation having issues and gave a personal example. I undestand the origin, and it's a great idea, and it's great for those who qualify, however I feel if Donald Trump offered a $1000 scholarship for white males who have interest in business management, he would be called a racist. I could be wrong though, just my opinion.

In reply to whoever,

that all-black charter school really isn't rooted in racism. Programs trying to reach out to high-risk black youths have tried all lots of different ways to educate them. In Harlem, an all-black charter school (and it was also targeted ONLY at males, no females) found tremendous success. The theory is that the way we teach in schools creates a huge cultural divide for these specific students. Consider many of their situations: besides many in single parent, low-income homes which are well documented, many of these kids have poor diet and hyperactivity, and when they get to school they are needed to sit in a desk for hours listening to someone talk that they don't identify with. They had black males from the community come in and teach, and in a setting of their peers there was less self-consciousness and also less acting out as a way to hide that. In Columbia, Mo. a community organizer was trying to put together a school like this for the high-risk black males there, specifically for those who had dropped out, and after looking at all of it I fully supported it.

I think outside-the-box ideas like this should be embraced and implemented where practical.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
In reply to whoever,

that all-black charter school really isn't rooted in racism. Programs trying to reach out to high-risk black youths have tried all lots of different ways to educate them. In Harlem, an all-black charter school (and it was also targeted ONLY at males, no females) found tremendous success. The theory is that the way we teach in schools creates a huge cultural divide for these specific students. Consider many of their situations: besides many in single parent, low-income homes which are well documented, many of these kids have poor diet and hyperactivity, and when they get to school they are needed to sit in a desk for hours listening to someone talk that they don't identify with. They had black males from the community come in and teach, and in a setting of their peers there was less self-consciousness and also less acting out as a way to hide that. In Columbia, Mo. a community organizer was trying to put together a school like this for the high-risk black males there, specifically for those who had dropped out, and after looking at all of it I fully supported it.

I think outside-the-box ideas like this should be embraced and implemented where practical.

In a city thats been mired in racism for the past 5 years, it is. The supporters of said charter school are people that have started race riots, race issues where none exist, and have pointed the finger so often in recent memory, it's quite frankly a disgrace. If they could get their test scores high enough, wonderful, but personally knowing the students that are vocal in their support for it, it wouldn't happen.

I'd get into more details, but there mainly acquired from having lived here (and before someone assumes I'm racist, my most of my best friends are black, as is my girlfriend) but I don't want to go off topic to far.

so you don't believe them that they can improve? I don't think you should be making the decisions then. For instance, here is an article on Chicago's version, Urban Prep (again, high success)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/o...tudents-chicago

The point of these isn't "we can't get along with white people so we need our own school!", it's about getting these kids to succeed, and they are.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)
so you don't believe them that they can improve? I don't think you should be making the decisions then. For instance, here is an article on Chicago's version, Urban Prep (again, high success)

The point of these isn't "we can't get along with white people so we need our own school!", it's about getting these kids to succeed, and they are.

Still racism. It may be coming from a desire to do something good, but that doesn't change what it is. As lf said, its sort of a whole different discussion of whether or not its worth it to do that at times.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
Still racism. It may be coming from a desire to do something good, but that doesn't change what it is. As lf said, its sort of a whole different discussion of whether or not its worth it to do that at times.

That's not racism. IMO, it would be racism if it were a school promoting "pro-black" ideas.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
That's not racism. IMO, it would be racism if it were a school promoting "pro-black" ideas.

In my view, anything that intentionally segregates or collects or admits people based on race, is racism. Again, I am not saying that makes it evil or bad necessarily - but that is what it is. Just my view though.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)

Sorry, forgot this in the last post.

It's a mostly (around 70%-80%) black school and a lot of the staff is black.

In fact, in English last year, our teacher was black and one of my black friends said "Why she tryin' to teach us to speak like white people." Seriously? Trust me, a lot of them can improve, one guy could have straight A's if he tried. But to give you his mentality, last year in Chemistry, we we're working on some homework, my friend (since kindergarten, but he's changed in high school) shows up 10 minutes into class, and gets mad when the teacher won't give him extra time to do an assignment we turned in at the start of class. So he get's up and says "All you black people, watch out, because she's out to get you" and he stormed out. My best friend (half black, fourth mexican, fourth white) says "So, what about me?" "I guess I hate your feet."

Same class, another girl asks if "all the black people can work together" and the teacher says "No." "Why?" "Because if a white person said it, it'd be racist" "Oooo, you right."

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
In my view, anything that intentionally segregates or collects or admits people based on race, is racism. Again, I am not saying that makes it evil or bad necessarily - but that is what it is. Just my view though.

I find this ridiculous.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
Sorry, forgot this in the last post.

It's a mostly (around 70%-80%) black school and a lot of the staff is black.

In fact, in English last year, our teacher was black and one of my black friends said "Why she tryin' to teach us to speak like white people." Seriously? Trust me, a lot of them can improve, one guy could have straight A's if he tried. But to give you his mentality, last year in Chemistry, we we're working on some homework, my friend (since kindergarten, but he's changed in high school) shows up 10 minutes into class, and gets mad when the teacher won't give him extra time to do an assignment we turned in at the start of class. So he get's up and says "All you black people, watch out, because she's out to get you" and he stormed out. My best friend (half black, fourth mexican, fourth white) says "So, what about me?" "I guess I hate your feet."

Same class, another girl asks if "all the black people can work together" and the teacher says "No." "Why?" "Because if a white person said it, it'd be racist" "Oooo, you right."

Some of this has to do with the home mentality as well. I'm black & I speak proper, but I never thought of it as "talking like white people" until I heard someone refer it to as such.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
Some of this has to do with the home mentality as well. I'm black & I speak proper, but I never thought of it as "talking like white people" until I heard someone refer it to as such.

Ha... I just joined a Facebook group today called I'm Black And I Speak Proper English. Stop Saying I'm "Trying To Act White"

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
I agree with our nation having issues. I remember when I graduated from high school, they had scholarships strictly for women or racial minorities. But that's not racist nor sexist. But it someone was to set up a scholarship strictly for white males, it could be called both.

This idea of an all white league is beyond rediculous, but if they wanted me I'd probably play.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2674267&page=1

I think America has reached a point where ethnic based scholarships and affirmative action should be abolished. Well at least temporarily. If the numbers of minority employees that companies are hiring lessens by anything resembling a significant amount, then bring it back

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
Ha... I just joined a Facebook group today called I'm Black And I Speak Proper English. Stop Saying I'm "Trying To Act White"

You both sicken me. :lol:

I'm sure these guys are real fundamentalists. So what will be the names of these new franchises? I for one can't wait for the Podunk Lynchmob to take on the rival Centralia Whitehoods for the Georgia Basketball Championship of Non-Racist White Men. Should be a barnburner, no pun intended. Good luck getting through one game *not* held in a heavily-guarded compound out in the middle of the woods.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)

There are plenty of those scholarships only for white males. Polish, German, French decent etc. Literally thousands. There are scholarships to fit background, ethnicity, neighborhoods, etc. take a look not only women of racial minorities white males have plenty out there.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)

Part of my argument had to be I was bitter about a plethora of situations going on in this idiot town. In other situations, I might think different, but god this town.

Also, this Basketball league was on the Colbert Report, and he pointed out how incredibly stupid it is.