The Jim Thome Saga Ends

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
He possess all you seem to hate about the "Jim Thome" model (minus the versatility, lower K rate and ~.295 AVG of Thome in his prime) and yet he won a ring hitting cleanup for the team with the 2nd most HR in 2008.

The Phillies pitched lights out in October which is why they won. Don't get me wrong, Thome could hit. We most likely would have won in 2005 if we had him instead of Carl/Frank. But championships are won with pitching and defense. And Thome add nothing to either category.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Mark McGwire won a world series in 1989.

Jim Thome's 1997 Indians team was 3 outs away from winning the Series until Joe Table blew it

Barry Bonds's 2002 Giants team had a 5-0 lead, 8 outs away from winning the Series

Were Thome & Bonds HR tendencies the reason why their teams bullpens blew their games?????

I stand corrected on McGwire. For some reason I just named the steroid clowns. But thank you for making my point for me in regards to pitching winning championships.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
The Phillies pitched lights out in October which is why they won. Don't get me wrong, Thome could hit. We most likely would have won in 2005 if we had him instead of Carl/Frank. But championships are won with pitching and defense. And Thome add nothing to either category.

Except you're saying that offense is completely meaningless, if pitching and defense were all it took the Mariners would be the defender champs right now. Believe it or not you do need to bat every once in a while. Perhaps I don't value defense out of the DH position as highly as yourself. Also, Barry Bonds is probably the best defensive LF of all time and Thome was a pretty good 3B/1B in his day

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)

so you don't have to ever score any runs or just win all games by 1-0 or 2-1 type scores? There's a balance to be had, by definition you have to score runs to win games. The Sox pitching staff had good numbers last year and the team was woefully short. Also, the fact that a team with Derek Jeter at SS won the world series last year (although he played slightly better, but he's still a below average SS) should show that you can still win with some poor D.

IMO what will happen is the pitching will keep them in a bad division (even if the Twins add Thome, they're not running away with anything) and around the deadline KW will realize they're a bat short, trade Hudson and/or Flowers for a good bat and there will be a mass riot on this board.

Dan Bernstein made a good point today, basically this is Ozzie's year, he got the type of team he wanted, if he falls flat on his face, which obviously I hope does not happen, it could be his last year.

I don't think it's a terrible idea, except the 800 lb. gorilla in the room that they play 81 games at the Cell.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
JR, KW and Ozzie said no to Thome, and it makes me happy. Sorry Jim, probably time to retire.

OK, I can understand saying no to Jim due to his age and from what I heard the massive physical effort it takes him to get ready just to DH for a game, but Rock, what is your opinion on the Sox line-up as constructed? Do you think they're a bat short?

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)

Good thing he'd be acquired for a position where neither mattered then...

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
Except you're saying that offense is completely meaningless, if pitching and defense were all it took the Mariners would be the defender champs right now. Believe it or not you do need to bat every once in a while. Perhaps I don't value defense out of the DH position as highly as yourself. Also, Barry Bonds is probably the best defensive LF of all time and Thome was a pretty good 3B/1B in his day

Offense is meaningful at our home field and American League.

Bills James has the 2010 White Sox projected for 725 runs. That’s one run better than last year. 86 less than 2008, and 32 better then 2007. That’s right folks. Even factoring in huge years from Beckham and Q (as James does) our offense has improved by 1 run. Better yet a trio of Kotsay, Visquel, and Jones would only equal the production of Teahen, Ramirez, or Konerko (who’s fading) if they had 55 more AB’s then each of them.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
I stand corrected on McGwire. For some reason I just named the steroid clowns. But thank you for making my point for me in regards to pitching winning championships.

You are proving your ignorance and raw lack of knowledge in regards to baseball.

I guess this has become a merged DH thread.

A random thought I had.

Ozzie wants a guy who can DH and also play the field. And Ozzie loves speedy guys. I want a guy who can hit from the LH side countering Jones. Playing the IF would also be a plus since Vizquel is our only backup there. Isn't Orlando Hudson still available?

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
Star Tribune says "Twins interest is Real" http://www.startribune.com/blogs/82410307....=KArksDyycyUUUU

It looks likely they'll sign him for part time DH/Pinch Hitter, he's a helluva teammate/mentor, and will put fans in the seats. One of my favorite players, too bad the Sox "Don't need him".

mauer and morneau cant even do that, i doubt thome will lol

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
well, the new ball park will take care of that for a few years, well past when Thome will be retired

why is that? last yr, which was the final yr in the dome, they were in the race till the last game of the season, and they still only drew 2.3mil. i know people will want to see the new stadium this yr but the weather does get bad there and if they arent good, people wont go. even when theyre good, its still hard for them to draw fans

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
I guess this has become a merged DH thread.

A random thought I had.

Ozzie wants a guy who can DH and also play the field. And Ozzie loves speedy guys. I want a guy who can hit from the LH side countering Jones. Playing the IF would also be a plus since Vizquel is our only backup there. Isn't Orlando Hudson still available?

I kind of like it, but if you get Hudson, I think you at least consider playing him at second, move Beckham back to 3B, and DH Teahen.

But I really still want Thome/Branyan (but mostly Thome)

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
why is that? last yr, which was the final yr in the dome, they were in the race till the last game of the season, and they still only drew 2.3mil. i know people will want to see the new stadium this yr but the weather does get bad there and if they arent good, people wont go. even when theyre good, its still hard for them to draw fans

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but they had to struggle to build the new stadium, I have no doubt they did studies to prove that people will show up, I'm not saying it's going to be a long term thing, but at least for the first year it will sell tickets by itself.

I imagine they got a good boost in season tickets, so that will boost numbers in crappy weather and I imagine they built it to maximize revenue.