Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 11:04 PM)
I'm surprised this thread hasn't blown up with posts this, because my Facebook is filled with them.

I'm not going to state my opinion on the man, because it's simply too soon. But RIP nonetheless.

There have been wayyyyy to many statuses about this, it's amazing how people just can't resist saying "Apple sucks" whenever they get a chance.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)
There have been wayyyyy to many statuses about this, it's amazing how people just can't resist saying "Apple sucks" whenever they get a chance.

The thing I don't like is that all these people are making it look like Steve Jobs did EVERYTHING associated with Apple. Sure, embrace the guy, but come on. Some guy said he wouldn't be able to listen to the music right now if it wasn't for Jobs. REALLY?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
The thing I don't like is that all these people are making it look like Steve Jobs did EVERYTHING associated with Apple. Sure, embrace the guy, but come on. Some guy said he wouldn't be able to listen to the music right now if it wasn't for Jobs. REALLY?

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 09:23 PM)
Ill just pretend thats sarcasm, because even as someone who uses windows its undeniable that they tried to emulate the Apple operating system. Unless you never used a computer that ran with ms dos.

What? It was 100% true. I was doing both those things, and he influenced my life so much so that I have never, and will never own an Apple product. Nothing wrong with that.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 12:12 AM)

Yeah, tell me about it. Girls on Facebook saying "Thank you Steve Jobs! If it wasn't for you inventing the iPod, we would still be listening to CD players!".

Oh really? Because I am pretty sure Mp3 players were around well before Apple starting making them. I think she meant "Thanks for making this shiny device that I can buy as a status symbol and allowing me to purchase things purely based on brand name and nothing else. Shopping made easy!"

He did a lot, but he didn't do everything, and he certainly didn't do it alone. And him dying isn't going to cease the advancement of technology, I assure you.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 12:06 AM)
Yeah, tell me about it. Girls on Facebook saying "Thank you Steve Jobs! If it wasn't for you inventing the iPod, we would still be listening to CD players!".

Oh really? Because I am pretty sure Mp3 players were around well before Apple starting making them. I think she meant "Thanks for making this shiny device that I can buy as a status symbol and allowing me to purchase things purely based on brand name and nothing else. Shopping made easy!"

He did a lot, but he didn't do everything, and he certainly didn't do it alone. And him dying isn't going to cease the advancement of technology, I assure you.

Yeah seriously. Thanks for setting a high price point for all the latest technology.

I think it is much closer to thank him for operating a company where his engineers could develop all those neat new toys. And a fairly decent comparison would be Masaru Ibuka, and Akio Morita of Sony who invented the Walkman. That was the first truly portable device for listening to your choice of music. As cassettes changed to CDs then MP3s the style of devices changed, but it would be unrealistic to believe that Jobs gave us portable music players.

And who made a greater impact on getting computers into homes, Apple and closed source, expensive hardware and software that was incompatible with anything else, or open source IBM which allowed computers at half the price?

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:58 AM)
And who made a greater impact on getting computers into homes, Apple and closed source, expensive hardware and software that was incompatible with anything else, or open source IBM which allowed computers at half the price?

I would say while Xerox Parc invented the mouse and the GUI, it was Apple that drove this out and forced competition to innovate as well. Windows is a byproduct of this innovation and drive into the market place. Originally Apple was closed source, but OSX is based on UNIX and is hardly closed source now. Competition is a great thing for innovation.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:49 AM)
I think it is much closer to thank him for operating a company where his engineers could develop all those neat new toys. And a fairly decent comparison would be Masaru Ibuka, and Akio Morita of Sony who invented the Walkman. That was the first truly portable device for listening to your choice of music. As cassettes changed to CDs then MP3s the style of devices changed, but it would be unrealistic to believe that Jobs gave us portable music players.

Jobs didnt invent portable music players, but again Apple changed them. If anyone remembers working with the first MP3 players. The UI was challenging, no playlists, no video. So again, its not invention its innovation.

May he rest in peace.

Some of you are really petty, considering most of you know close to nothing about the in's and out's of what went down in the computer tech world the last 20-30 years, aside from what you heard repeated (incorrectly) and/or read about from some misinformed magazine article (also incorrectly).

Stick to the things you're good at, but repeating nonsense only makes you look stupid to those of us who actually know what we're talking about.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:58 AM)

Apple isn't fully closed source, and IBM isn't fully open sourced, it depends on the specific product(s) you are talking about.

And you obviously don't recall the early days of home computers when a really REALLY piss poor IBM models cost upwards of 5 grand (FAR more than any available Apple computer at the time). So...like I said... ;)

Not to mention, back then, it was Commodore that drove the cost of computers down with their 64/128 and Amiga products, which for base home models usually cost less than 800$, where comparable Apple machines would cost 3 grand, and comparable IBM clones cost 5.

There is and was a LOT more to this industry than just Apple/IBM and Microsoft that drove innovation, invention and price, but along the way history was rewritten by the victors and under-informed magazine writers that had a vested interest in specific companies succeeding so they could continue writing articles and such.

Edited by Y2HH

Is there a good Oregon Trail app on the Android market? I couldn't find one.

Also my Sony GoogleTV looks like a iMac design rip-off. There's no denying that the man who built and later revitalized what is now one of the most valuable companies in the world has impacted all of our lives. 243153-sony-nsx-32gt1.jpg

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:19 AM)
Is there a good Oregon Trail app on the Android market? I couldn't find one.

Also my Sony GoogleTV looks like a iMac design rip-off. There's no denying that the man who built and later revitalized what is now one of the most valuable companies in the world has impacted all of our lives. 243153-sony-nsx-32gt1.jpg

I never cared for Apple's tendency toward closed-source. However, there's no denying that Apple's place as the main innovators in OS, application, and hardware design. I have been playing with Windows 8 lately, and it is definitely Window's trying to regain some footing into the design of the operating system.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)
I'll never forget where I was when I heard Steve Jobs died. I was sitting on my Windows computer listening to my Zune HD. He influenced my life in so many ways.

Jeez, man, why are you such a hater?