Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
For the record, when it comes to 'Google catching up to Apple in mobile phones', this isn't going to happen. Google has ONE mobile phone -- the Nexus 1 -- and it's an industry failure. Android, however, WILL catch up and surpass Apples mobile OSX as the sheer distribution is higher, as anyone in the world can use it, including Dell, HP, ASUS, etc...whereas only ONE manufacturer can use Apples OSX (mobile or otherwise), and that's Apple.

When I say Google I mean Android-based phones and the various degrees of influence Google will have over that market.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
WWDC is Today.

Everything will be: magical. amazing, awesome, revolutionary, special, and trans transformative.

And will prob piss me off since I just got my iphone 3g and now a better one is coming out.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
326 ppi on the iPhone4, It's sharper than printed magazines.

I saw that, and it records video in HD. f***!!!

I guess they are allowing existing iphone users an early upgrade. I have the 3gs which is good, but f*** I want that. I cant wait for OS4

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)
I really want the iphone 4.

I wasnt overwhelmed. It was a solid upgrade, but I expect several Android phones to pass it in the next 6 months. I really wanted to like it (hoping it would come to Verizon).

For those who are interested: iPhone4 vs Increadible vs EVO vs Nexus One

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)
I wasnt overwhelmed. It was a solid upgrade, but I expect several Android phones to pass it in the next 6 months. I really wanted to like it (hoping it would come to Verizon).

I don't have an iPhone or any smart phone and my contract on my crap phone is expiring. Honestly, every six months something better will be coming out so either I dip in now or wait forever.

Of course, the final decision is whether AT&T can be trusted here. I've never heard anything bad out here.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 08:37 PM)
I don't have an iPhone or any smart phone and my contract on my crap phone is expiring. Honestly, every six months something better will be coming out so either I dip in now or wait forever.

Of course, the final decision is whether AT&T can be trusted here. I've never heard anything bad out here.

I've had an iPhone (and therefore AT&T) for about 3 years now. I have lived in two different states and metropolitan areas with it (Chicago and Las Vegas). My experience has been good. I have heard of dropped calls, but I have had very few dropped calls over the life of my contract (less than 10 in 3 years). Reception has always been very strong, in both Chicago as well as Las Vegas. The one issue that has crept up is that the tremendous growth of the iPhone (and all the accompanying data demands that came along with it) has caught AT&T by surprise and put a strain on their network. My experience with this was basically when they enabled picture messaging, there was maybe 24-48 hours where I had to reset my phone every few hours because I could tell that I was not getting texts coming in. Other than that 1 or 2 day period, I have not experienced any noticeable downside of the supposed strained network.

Whether this will be an issue in the future is unknown. As Apple (and Blackberry) continue to upgrade the capabilities of their hardware, allowing for more streaming of HD quality video and video calling, it will become more and more of a burden on the network to handle the traffic and data demands. For a more technical explanation, read some of the things Rock and Jason were discussing last week in this thread.

All I can tell you is I have really had no issues with AT&T, and if that is not an issue, the iPhone is probably the most consistent, highest quality phone on the market over the last 2-3 years. I doubt the iPhone 4 will be any different.

I know I will be pre-ordering mine next Tuesday :)

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)

I must say I am in love with my EVO after only a day. The thing is truly amazing.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)

Pass it how exactly? It wont have more apps, and it wont be as universally usable as the iphone with things like cars and audio devices. My gf has the incredible, and though I think its a great phone with some great features, it still doesnt touch the iphone.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
Pass it how exactly? It wont have more apps, and it wont be as universally usable as the iphone with things like cars and audio devices. My gf has the incredible, and though I think its a great phone with some great features, it still doesnt touch the iphone.

Rock, what were you saying about existing AT&T customers being grandfathered in for an upgrade? Will it be the $99 and $199 price points?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
Who care about total # of apps, that is just an Apple talking point. Yeah so the iPhone has an app that counts the number of mitochondria in your left pointer - whooooo!

Thank you. :notworthy

Who care about total # of apps, that is just an Apple talking point. Yeah so the iPhone has an app that counts the number of mitochondria in your left pointer - whooooo!

The point is not the number of apps.

The point is that every company in America (and elsewhere) lines up to utilize the capabilities of the iPhone, which is part of what gives it such an edge against any other phone on the marketplace.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 07:05 PM)
The point is not the number of apps.

The point is that every company in America (and elsewhere) lines up to utilize the capabilities of the iPhone, which is part of what gives it such an edge against any other phone on the marketplace.

Yeah, but not everybody who brings that up knows all that, they're just mindlessly repeating stuff they heard and it gets old (not saying that Rock was doing that but in that context it didn't mean much since Android is getting to that point too)

Edited by lostfan

so does the droid, so count that in their total as well.

And with the Android just being an operating system, accessory manufacturers have several phones to concentrate on which makes it extremely hard to make anything of value. iphone? How many docking stations, boomboxes, car controls etc have been designed for the apple hardware? How many new cars come with a droid accessory plug in that you can control with your steering wheel. The hardware and the OS being from one company is what is going to keep the iphone at the top, couple that with a ridiculously larger population of ap developers, and there is what is making it the best.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
Rock, what were you saying about existing AT&T customers being grandfathered in for an upgrade? Will it be the $99 and $199 price points?

Thats what I heard, with a 2 year contract extension.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 07:39 PM)
so does the droid, so count that in their total as well.

And with the Android just being an operating system, accessory manufacturers have several phones to concentrate on which makes it extremely hard to make anything of value. iphone? How many docking stations, boomboxes, car controls etc have been designed for the apple hardware? How many new cars come with a droid accessory plug in that you can control with your steering wheel. The hardware and the OS being from one company is what is going to keep the iphone at the top, couple that with a ridiculously larger population of ap developers, and there is what is making it the best.

That is a good point for now, but I know we are heading in the direction where you just keep your phone in your pocket and all these accessories wirelessly interact with the software on the phone. You won't need those docking stations any more.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)

I dont care about the number of apps. Andoids developer base is VERY quickly expanding right now. So, they will have a TON of new apps in the months ahead... oh, and you dont have to go through a locked down app store to buy them.

I meant companies will pass it up with better hardware (the EVO and Droid Incredible are almost on par with iPhone4).

"Universally usable" is a bit of a loose term. Many cars now simply have an AUX input or a USB jack (Ford Sync)

The Andoid UI needs some work, but the just hired the UI guy from Palm, so I have a feeling there will be some major changes in the next year.

In the end, iPhone will probably always be "sexier", but Android will be just as good.

(All this is from an Apple fanboi by the way. Love their stuff, but i think I like Android/Google better)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
That is a good point for now, but I know we are heading in the direction where you just keep your phone in your pocket and all these accessories wirelessly interact with the software on the phone. You won't need those docking stations any more.

How is it going to charge? Are you saying every alarm clock will have bluetooth?