Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
That is soooo much better than trying to leave comments on my iPod Touch.

iPod Touch + SoxTalk = FAIL!

Bought two books, and three movies.

Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers and Atul Gawande's The Checklist Manifesto.

Navigating the pages is extremely natural; very well done.

The Hangover, Couples Retreat and Inglorious Basters.

Looks like movies take about 30 minutes or so to download using my Wifi signal.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
The more I see the iPad, the more I like it, but I'm not motivated just yet to buy it. If the iPad 2.0 has a built in webcam, I might just have to get one. I would still prefer a iPad that runs full OS X, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I've got to tell you, my first impression is it's pretty awesome - all I hoped it would be. I also know I am glad I didn't get the 3G version, because I am going to be spending much more $ on iTunes now - so I don't need to be paying for a data package as well.

I doubt they ever make it too powerful though; the last thing they want to do is encroach on their own Macbook market.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
Hah..doh! It didn't even occur to me that that would be a joke. Not that I wanted one, but honestly, are there not dumber products put out every day? :)

Good one though, I admit I thought it was totally real.

This might please you.

Though the product is actually a clever (and cruel) April Fool's joke, Ty Liotta, ThinkGeek's merchandising manager and head of custom product design, told Ars that it could very well end up being a real product.

One thing I was very skeptical of was the 10 hour battery life claim. Well, Looks like it's a little BETTER than 10 hours:

On the iPad I turned off WiFi and Bluetooth and set the video brightness to the 50 percent mark and turned off Auto-brightness. I wanted it to be as close as possible to how you would have it set when on an airplane. The results were much better than I expected. After 4 hours and 9 minutes, the iPad showed 75 percent charge left. After 7 hours and 20 minutes, the iPad was at a 50 percent charge. After 10 hours and 36 minutes, the iPad was down to a 25 percent charge, and the iPad finally ran out of juice after 13 hours and 24 minutes of continuous video playback.

Please note, if you are streaming video from YouTube over WiFi, the battery life will be less -- probably right in that 10 hour range Apple claims.

Once the iPad was completely drained, the next question was how long would it take to recharge it to 100 percent.? Using the power charger that comes with the iPad, it was back to 25 percent charge in 52 minutes, 50 percent charge in 1 hour and 47 minutes, 75 percent charge in 2 hours and 44 minutes, and 100 percent charge in 4 hours and 13 minutes. That means you can basically use it all day long and charge it while you sleep and then repeat.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)
One thing I was very skeptical of was the 10 hour battery life claim. Well, Looks like it's a little BETTER than 10 hours:

Yeah, the battery life is really strong. The other thing i don't understand is all the complaining about the keyboard. Most apple freaks have been trained to type on the iPhone by now...this thing is like heaven compared to the iPhone...

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
Yeah but their commercials are hip so who cares.

Honestly, except for the appearance of the Enterprise, I thought the iPhone looked a lot cooler in its initial ads.

I also found it interesting that I suddenly started seeing Kindle ads last week.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
I like the concept of the iPad, I just don't like its closed nature and the fact that you have to pay to do anything with it pretty much.

I've discovered it will definitely be a big moneymaker for iTunes...