Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
If it was so great, why didn't the majority of users use it for anything other than another IM client?

Only the techiest of techies used it for video chat or audio chats...you know who uses Facetime? Everybody. Even 80 year olds.

Ding ding ding.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)
The idea of never having to worry about a broken or scratched screen is more than just "kind of cool", at least to me. Get me a waterproof phone with sapphire glass (or an equivalent) and I'll be in love.

I believe they broke quite easily from falls, just not from bending them and they just didn't scratch.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
No, I'm thinking like a person in their 20s. I grew up with technology, as did most of the people in my age group. We are a large portion of the user base. We understand how to do simple stuff like that. And it is what it is, it's SIMPLE. It's not hard and it's not supposed to be. You're trying to make this about people who didn't grow up with technology, which I don't think should be the case.

No...your priorities change in life. Other things become important. I'm incredibly tech savy for a non tech individual but at the same time, a lot of this stuff in the grand scheme of what I'm responsible for and what is important is low on my priority list. What I want is a freaking device that does want I want and makes it easy and simple to do what I want. I don't want to have to do a bunch of steps and make other people do a bunch of steps for it to work (easy or not...I'm not wasting my time with that crap).

PS: Out of all the people I know my age, I am probably the smartest at using smart phones and I spend the least time customizing them or doing anything with them. You are talking like a college kid who doesn't have a job and has all the time in the world to tinker with crap. When you get older, you don't have as much time to do that, unless that happens to be important / your thing to do (which is fine, it just isn't mine).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
No...your priorities change in life. Other things become important. I'm incredibly tech savy for a non tech individual but at the same time, a lot of this stuff in the grand scheme of what I'm responsible for and what is important is low on my priority list. What I want is a freaking device that does want I want and makes it easy and simple to do what I want. I don't want to have to do a bunch of steps and make other people do a bunch of steps for it to work (easy or not...I'm not wasting my time with that crap).

PS: Out of all the people I know my age, I am probably the smartest at using smart phones and I spend the least time customizing them or doing anything with them. You are talking like a college kid who doesn't have a job and has all the time in the world to tinker with crap. When you get older, you don't have as much time to do that, unless that happens to be important / your thing to do (which is fine, it just isn't mine).

I'm 39 now, and while I find that sort of tinkering fun from time to time, I do that for a living, so when I get home, I want to do other things like play a video game, read or play with my kids. The days of doing this and that and convincing ALL of my friends to install the same apps and whatnot are behind me.

I just don't care.

If you wan't to text me, text me...or iMessage it, but no, I'm not opening a chat app for you to send me a message you could have sent a default way that works across all devices. Just like I won't install Facebook Messenger, because I don't need ANOTHER chat app when people can f***ing TEXT or email. I don't want MORE apps. I'm sick of apps for every little thing that can still be done easier ways.

QUOTE (SnB @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
It's always amazing to me on how passionate people are about which cell phone operating system they use. It's a phone, it's really not that big of a deal.

While I agree that this is the king of first world problems...people are passionate about the things they use, so I don't see an issue discussing it, or even defending what you like using.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
Installing an app isn't usually the problem, it's configuring it, signing up for it...not using a password of abc123, etc. The 20 somethings that grew up with technology that "works", are probably the worst of anyone I have to support. They all think they know what they're doing...and none of them actually know what they're doing. They're not as bad as the baby boomers, though.

Now you're just expanding this discussion. I thought it was about how hard it was to install an app and sign up...? Not security.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)

No I sound like a person who's an engineer and works in software development. We don't find installing apps hard, people I work with don't find it hard, my friends don't find it hard. My mom might, but she doesn't even have a smartphone.

You guys are trying to make something that is such a small issue sound like it's a big issue. It's not.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
No I sound like a person who's an engineer and works in software development. We don't find installing apps hard, people I work with don't find it hard, my friends don't find it hard. My mom might, but she doesn't even have a smartphone.

You guys are trying to make something that is such a small issue sound like it's a big issue. It's not.

And YOU shouldn't find installing apps hard.

YOU aren't the person/people that require help for every little thing, either, and people of all ages require tech support on a CONSTANT basis for everything, from phones to pc's to mac's. If everything you're saying was true (and it's clearly not), tech support wouldn't be as big of a business as it is, and a tech support crew wouldn't exist in every big company in the world, either.

Engineers in tech and software development tend to not need much tech support. But you make up about 5% of what most large companies are. The sales people, marketers, executives, etc...none of them care to know how something works, none of them want to install anything, and none of them want to configure anything. THAT'S WHAT THE f*** THEY PAY OTHER PEOPLE FOR.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
And YOU shouldn't find installing apps hard.

YOU aren't the person/people that require help for every little thing, either, and people of all ages require tech support on a CONSTANT basis for everything, from phones to pc's to mac's. If everything you're saying was true (and it's clearly not), tech support wouldn't be as big of a business as it is, and a tech support crew wouldn't exist in every big company in the world, either.

Engineers in tech and software development tend to not need much tech support. But you make up about 5% of what most large companies are. The sales people, marketers, executives, etc...none of them care to know how something works, none of them want to install anything, and none of them want to configure anything. THAT'S WHAT THE f*** THEY PAY OTHER PEOPLE FOR.

Oh but they have to anyhow. When they get their work laptops, they have to configure something. There's a documented process to get everything in most big companies. So whether they like it or not, they'll have to do it. Follow some directions, read it for 2-3 minutes.

My parents ask me how to do stuff related to tech from time to time. You know what I tell them? Here's a guide how to do it, read it. If you continue to give people tech support of some of the simplest things in the world, they'll never learn. Don't know something? Ask Google. You're probably just lazy if you can't even do that much.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
Oh but they have to anyhow. When they get their work laptops, they have to configure something. There's a documented process to get everything in most big companies. So whether they like it or not, they'll have to do it. Follow some directions, read it for 2-3 minutes.

My parents ask me how to do stuff related to tech from time to time. You know what I tell them? Here's a guide how to do it, read it. If you continue to give people tech support of some of the simplest things in the world, they'll never learn. Don't know something? Ask Google. You're probably just lazy if you can't even do that much.

No, there isn't.

I work for a big company, and EVERYTHING on a laptop/desktop is PREconfigured for the user through AD. They do NOTHING. They don't even have access to install anything or change most any configuration option.

Your AD group determines which apps get installed, which configuration options get set, and what access you have around the network.

I can't think of a single thing a user has to configure on a stock install these days.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
No, there isn't.

I work for a big company, and EVERYTHING on a laptop/desktop is PREconfigured for the user through AD. They do NOTHING. They don't even have access to install anything or change most any configuration option.

Not the case at IBM and we're the second largest company in the world.

But there's a guide to do almost everything, so it's not that hard.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
I'm 39 now, and while I find that sort of tinkering fun from time to time, I do that for a living, so when I get home, I want to do other things like play a video game, read or play with my kids. The days of doing this and that and convincing ALL of my friends to install the same apps and whatnot are behind me.

I just don't care.

If you wan't to text me, text me...or iMessage it, but no, I'm not opening a chat app for you to send me a message you could have sent a default way that works across all devices. Just like I won't install Facebook Messenger, because I don't need ANOTHER chat app when people can f***ing TEXT or email. I don't want MORE apps. I'm sick of apps for every little thing that can still be done easier ways.

I just want to do 6-10 things extremely quickly with no hiccups and long battery life. Thats it. All the other apps in the world are superfluous to me. Thats why I have an iphone.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)

That is exactly the point.

Most people are not engineers who work in software development.

Why would a company want to mass produce something that appeals primarily to the expert in the marketplace?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)

That means you're behind the times, but that's not surprising considering it's IBM.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)

Well, yours probably isnt AD since IBM makes their own directory. I am betting the IBM security stack does a majority of the setting configs and you push out changes with whatever they call the configuration management stuff today.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:42 PM)
That is exactly the point.

Most people are not engineers who work in software development.

Why would a company want to mass produce something that appeals primarily to the expert in the marketplace?

Oh, now we have to be experts to install apps. Listen to yourselves.

Might as well abolish the app store for anyone not in IT or over 50. No point right?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
Oh, now we have to be experts to install apps. Listen to yourselves.

Might as well abolish the app store for anyone not in IT or over 50. No point right?

That's not at all what anyones saying.

It's not their job to install apps, it's their job to do whatever we hired them to do...and that's all they should need to do. Why? Because THAT is their job. Their job is NOT to configure applications and troubleshoot them. Somebody else gets paid to do that.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
That's not at all what anyones saying.

It's not their job to install apps, it's their job to do whatever we hired them to do...and that's all they should need to do. Why? Because THAT is their job. Their job is NOT to configure applications and troubleshoot them. Somebody else gets paid to do that.

But that's what the original discussion was.

This all started because you thought installing Skype on a phone was too hard and bothersome for the majority of people.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
You should see how bad our email client is.

We use your email client (Lotus Notes) and yes, it's terrible, but even that's preconfigured upon a new laptop/desktiop.

Launch the app, and it asks you to create a password. That's it. That's all the user has to configure. And if they run into something they need further help with, we don't tell them to Google it. Someone actually calls them, or goes to them and helps them configure it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
Still on lotus I take it?

Yup, it's a piece of crap. It was worse before they released the 9th version, at least it looks a bit more modern now. But it's built off of Eclipse, so performance is god awful.

And to think IBM spent money acquiring them...