Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 12:31 AM)
I searched the Google PlayStore, but found nothing. Is this something I have to root my phone to use? And do both Show Box and MovieDroid have Chromecast support?

MovieDroid does. Both aren't on the Play Store. You don't need root for either, although I think MovieDroid has some annoying ads that I got rid of with my ad blocker (you do need root for that).

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 12:37 AM)
I don't want to derail the topic you guys started but:

I am wanting to get a new phone in the next couple months, I am an android guy so what is the best phone out there? Is there any new ones coming out before the end of the year that are worth the wait? Not really wanting to wait for the newest one because of the prize but depends on the phone/price and the alternatives

New Moto X, HTC One M8, LG G3.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 08:52 PM)
I was looking at phones they had in Sprint today and I didn't really like the feel, look, and size of the HTC One. I did like the LG G3 though. I didn't see the Moto X out there though

The new Moto X won't be out for a bit on carriers other than AT&T and T-Mobile.

It has the cleanest version of Android out of all the non-Nexus flagship phones and Motorola is really good about updating their phones. They usually get their updates about a week or two after Nexus devices get it.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 12:31 AM)
I searched the Google PlayStore, but found nothing. Is this something I have to root my phone to use? And do both Show Box and MovieDroid have Chromecast support?

No root needed. You have to go to developer settings for your phone and turn on the ability to "Uninstall unknown apps/apps not from play store". Then from your phone, google showbox and you should find it. They have every tv show and movie known to man. If you want to cast it to your ChromeCast(which I do), just use Avia or Allcast (both legal apps on playstore). Go into showbox, select your movie, uncheck use internal player, click the quality, and you'll get a popup asking what movie player you want to use. Choose Allcast or Avia. From there, casting will be done to your chromecast of choice. I find I'm also able to use my PS3 and WDTV without modifying either one. Kinda weird.

It sounds a lot harder than it actually is. Trust me, takes about 5 minutes to setup and less than 30 seconds to startup a movie.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
No root needed. You have to go to developer settings for your phone and turn on the ability to "Uninstall unknown apps/apps not from play store". Then from your phone, google showbox and you should find it. They have every tv show and movie known to man. If you want to cast it to your ChromeCast(which I do), just use Avia or Allcast (both legal apps on playstore). Go into showbox, select your movie, uncheck use internal player, click the quality, and you'll get a popup asking what movie player you want to use. Choose Allcast or Avia. From there, casting will be done to your chromecast of choice. I find I'm also able to use my PS3 and WDTV without modifying either one. Kinda weird.

It sounds a lot harder than it actually is. Trust me, takes about 5 minutes to setup and less than 30 seconds to startup a movie.

Avia kind of sucks and Allcast costs money. I like LocalCast a lot, it's free and it even follows Material Design guidelines.

BubbleUPnP is another option (also free if you don't need encoding).

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
Does anyone know of a device that will rebroadcast an over-the-air TV signal wirelessly? I have an antenna in my attic, but no coax runs to my basement. Is there something I could connect one of the antenna lines to that would re-transmit the signal to a receiver in my basement?

Look up wireless coax. There are several solutions I've seen.

After having been an US Cellular customer since I got my very first cell phone at some point in the mid 90’s, I think I need to switch service providers.

I talked to customer service last night and they have a “dead zone” along I-90 somewhere between Belvidere and Huntley. I’ve been constantly either dropping calls or not receiving them at all while driving to work in the morning. I was told that it’s likely at some point on the road where my signal switches to roaming. Once I get closer to Chicago the signal seems to be ok but I am roaming.

I even went into a store and they flat out told me that I should probably switch to someone else. I’m a bit overwhelmed with all the choices and what would be the best and cheapest option.

I currently pay around $180/month for 5 basic phones. I have data on mine but I have no idea how much. I don’t have a smart phone but I do have (barely) internet access on it.

My wife and I want to upgrade to smart phones and the kids would stay with basic phones. I checked Verizon’s website last night and it looks like I’m looking at a minimum of $200/month.

Is there an easy way to compare plans, prices and coverage?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)

Sorry, I should have responded earlier. I got it all figured out. I'm using BubbleUPNP, and this s*** is awesome. I'm dont remember if it was you or someone else who originally mentioned Showbox, but this is wonderful. I've already got my dad, brother, and my friends up and running with it. Haha. This is especially useless now that our SHO subscription ran out. I don't have to watch the shows on my laptop anymore.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
After having been an US Cellular customer since I got my very first cell phone at some point in the mid 90’s, I think I need to switch service providers.

I talked to customer service last night and they have a “dead zone” along I-90 somewhere between Belvidere and Huntley. I’ve been constantly either dropping calls or not receiving them at all while driving to work in the morning. I was told that it’s likely at some point on the road where my signal switches to roaming. Once I get closer to Chicago the signal seems to be ok but I am roaming.

I even went into a store and they flat out told me that I should probably switch to someone else. I’m a bit overwhelmed with all the choices and what would be the best and cheapest option.

I currently pay around $180/month for 5 basic phones. I have data on mine but I have no idea how much. I don’t have a smart phone but I do have (barely) internet access on it.

My wife and I want to upgrade to smart phones and the kids would stay with basic phones. I checked Verizon’s website last night and it looks like I’m looking at a minimum of $200/month.

Is there an easy way to compare plans, prices and coverage?

In the interested of consumer protection, there absolutely should be, but there really isn't. Any prices you see quoted from any of the big carriers (and probably the smaller carriers) are base prices, without any of their random/dubious fees and taxes.

I have 3 iPhones on Verizon with 3gigs of shared data and my bill is 192$ a month. It's expensive, without a doubt, but I'm open to paying the premium just to be on Verizon's network...it's flat out better than anyone else's, including AT&T, and it isn't even close. The data cap isn't a big deal for me since I spend 99% of my time on WiFi, and when I do go places, I simply do not stream video, however, I do stream music quite a bit and have never gone over my cap.

Anywhere I go, I never have signal issues, however, my AT&T/T-Mobile friends almost always do (keep in mind I'm an avid camper/fisherman, so I go to some remote places). If you live in a big city and never really leave it, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile will probably be the same for you, but if you go ANYWHERE, it's Verizon first and then AT&T.

As for prices, Verizon is the most expensive (not by much), and then AT&T ... after the big two you'll start saving money, but pay for it in restricted coverage and slower data speeds.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
Family plans seem to have gotten much cheaper as long as you have 4 lines and dont care about vast data usage.

I will get f***ed by this AT&T Next plan whenever I decide to get a new phone. The price for my line will go from $15 a month to $40, whether I opt in to that terrible program or not.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Sep 20, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
Why ?

Why will the price go up? Because they changed their pricing back in March I guess, but because I got my phone back October, I still have the $15/mo price point. When I get a new phone under the "new 2 year agreement" system, they can say the new agreement costs whatever they want, and I guess that pricepoint will be $40 a month. So now my bill will be $77 a month after data plan.

If the Apple subreddit is any indication, iOS 8 is buggier than all hell. My favorite bug is the music app deleting people's tracks whenever they listen to them. Apple starting to get acquainted with the difficulty of rolling out updates to a myriad of devices

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 21, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
If the Apple subreddit is any indication, iOS 8 is buggier than all hell. My favorite bug is the music app deleting people's tracks whenever they listen to them. Apple starting to get acquainted with the difficulty of rolling out updates to a myriad of devices

Apple products just, work.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 21, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
Apple products just, work.

Derp.

And Android is completely bug free. Just stop, it's starting to come off as an inferiority complex that only a neckbeard could have. Either add something to the conversation or save everyone from becoming dumber for having to read your posts.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 21, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)

It's not. It has its share of release issues that's for sure, but nothing they won't fix in short order, and nothing game breaking. Been using it since early betas and it can still use some work.

I've never experienced that music bug your talking about and I've had it since beta 2, so probably rare.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 21, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
Seems like older gens of iPads are being hit the hardest. Alarmingly low RAM on those devices I'm finding out (512MB? Wow. I know iOS is lean, but still)

Those are like 3 or 4 years old to be fair, and in technology that's ancient these days.