Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

Moto 360 users reporting that recent software update has more than doubled battery life, especially when in heavy use. One user had the backlight turned on for over 24 hours straight before battery died. With normal use, people are now reporting 48 hours

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
Moto 360 users reporting that recent software update has more than doubled battery life, especially when in heavy use. One user had the backlight turned on for over 24 hours straight before battery died. With normal use, people are now reporting 48 hours

The backlight doesn't even keep itself on all the time, though. Ambient mode on the 360 isn't the same as it is on the other Android Wear watches.

I got through all of today and I think I still have 55% left. The battery life is now about the same as the other Android Wear watches.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
They literally said they wanted to separate themselves from the single digit revisions because 10 is "so new"

Ever since Google ruined the meaning of version numbers with Chrome (and now Firefox), version numbers don't mean much anymore anyway.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Seems like they should have elaborated on that. Apparently Windows 8.1 = 9.

That's fine with me. 8 honestly is not bad, but the damage was done. I don't know why more people don't understand, Microsoft does a developmental product every other year.

Windows ME - Developmental

Windows XP - Final

Windows Vista - Developmental

Windows 7 - Final

Windows 8 - Developmental

Windows 10 - Final

If you notice, all their developmental's turn out to be great final builds once the last SPs (before the new OS is announced) are released.

Happens the same with their servers and essentially any one of their software products like Exchange, Office, etc.

8.1, especially on the Surface 3 is the bees knees

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 07:48 PM)
That's fine with me. 8 honestly is not bad, but the damage was done. I don't know why more people don't understand, Microsoft does a developmental product every other year.

Windows ME - Developmental

Windows XP - Final

Windows Vista - Developmental

Windows 7 - Final

Windows 8 - Developmental

Windows 10 - Final

If you notice, all their developmental's turn out to be great final builds once the last SPs (before the new OS is announced) are released.

Happens the same with their servers and essentially any one of their software products like Exchange, Office, etc.

8.1, especially on the Surface 3 is the bees knees

What the holy hell...

I disagree with calling release software they've been charging for via retail/OEM as "developmental" when software IS your main product. People don't understand what you're saying about Microsoft doing "developmental" product cycles because you completely made it up, even if it coincidently seems to fit the narrative. Emphasis on coincidentally. You do NOT get to charge people/corporations for development software on a RETAIL basis, nor release it to enterprise/OEM customers as "final", and then pretend it was developmental 2 years later. Call it like it is...Windows 8 was a failed experiment to meld touch/mouse/keyboard input into one unified UI, forced into retail by Balmer, and jammed onto hardware it wasn't meant for.

Windows 8/8.1 is a GREAT OS for touch based interfaces, I've said that before and I'll say it again, however, Windows 8/8.1 was a HORRIBLE OS for mouse/keyboard based computers. On desktops without touch, it did nothing Windows 7 wasn't already doing other than cause mass confusion, and nothing will change that...other than Windows 10, which is why they're admitting the mistake and moving on.

Windows 9 10 looks like what Windows 8 should have been from the get go.

...and yes, it's great on the Surface 3 for the reason I stated above...it's touch based hardware.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 08:09 PM)
What the holy hell...

I disagree with calling release software they've been charging for via retail/OEM as "developmental" when software IS your main product. People don't understand what you're saying about Microsoft doing "developmental" product cycles because you completely made it up, even if it coincidently seems to fit the narrative. Emphasis on coincidentally. You do NOT get to charge people/corporations for development software on a RETAIL basis, nor release it to enterprise/OEM customers as "final", and then pretend it was developmental 2 years later. Call it like it is...Windows 8 was a failed experiment to meld touch/mouse/keyboard input into one unified UI, forced into retail by Balmer, and jammed onto hardware it wasn't meant for.

Windows 8/8.1 is a GREAT OS for touch based interfaces, I've said that before and I'll say it again, however, Windows 8/8.1 was a HORRIBLE OS for mouse/keyboard based computers. On desktops without touch, it did nothing Windows 7 wasn't already doing other than cause mass confusion, and nothing will change that...other than Windows 10, which is why they're admitting the mistake and moving on.

Windows 9 10 looks like what Windows 8 should have been from the get go.

...and yes, it's great on the Surface 3 for the reason I stated above...it's touch based hardware.

I'm so glad they're going to allow us to run Windows 8 apps in a window and not full-screen. That annoyed the hell out of me.

I also like the new window snapping features.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
I'm so glad they're going to allow us to run Windows 8 apps in a window and not full-screen. That annoyed the hell out of me.

I also like the new window snapping features.

Agreed. That full screen nonsense was, once again, fine for smaller screened touch devices, but it sucked on my 27" monitor.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)
Agreed. That full screen nonsense was, once again, fine for smaller screened touch devices, but it sucked on my 27" monitor.

I'm still running 7 on my desktop, but I think I'll upgrade to 10 when it does come out.

Windows 8 was measurably faster than Windows 7, especially on boot-up. I don't think it was hard to use. Launching programs that I didn't have shortcuts for was in effect no different as I was just tapping Windows+S and typing a search term. It's just a matter of where the search terms appeared. I like the live tiles, but they'll be better served in the hybrid start menu they showed off today. MS Office is such a superior product, though, that I decided to dual boot with W8.1 on my Macbook because I loathe the Mac versions so much.

With that said, I do like iWorks. They didn't try to make them into MS Office. They made them simpler, different, elegant, and easy to use. I can't do serious work on there, but they're fun to use for simple things.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 10:25 PM)
Windows 8 was measurably faster than Windows 7, especially on boot-up. I don't think it was hard to use. Launching programs that I didn't have shortcuts for was in effect no different as I was just tapping Windows+S and typing a search term. It's just a matter of where the search terms appeared. I like the live tiles, but they'll be better served in the hybrid start menu they showed off today. MS Office is such a superior product, though, that I decided to dual boot with W8.1 on my Macbook because I loathe the Mac versions so much.

With that said, I do like iWorks. They didn't try to make them into MS Office. They made them simpler, different, elegant, and easy to use. I can't do serious work on there, but they're fun to use for simple things.

Yeah that is one of the things that made me consider putting Windows 8 on my desktop, but it wasn't a big enough improvement to make me do a complete re-install.

I also like how you can get multiple task-bars in Windows 8 if you have multiple monitors.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
I played with one in the store yesterday. I hate that the phones keep getting bigger, but it was very slick and nice looking, and of course, super fast and took incredible pictures.

Back in the days when I was working in sales and selling electronic components (micros, memory, caps, resistors, various ICs, etc) developers were lamenting that human fingers were not getting any smaller and there would be a limit on how small personal electronic devices could be. At the time we were still talking Palm Pilots, pagers, and the earliest Motorola phones (the luggable brick cell phone). We also complained about carrying an organizer and a cell phne and a MP3 player. Convergence was the word.

Thirty years after I first heard the complaint about huge man hands, were trying to fit a giant screen in our pockets.

I'm predicting the foldable screen. At 1/8th size you can send text messages, check weather, etc. Unfold it to watch movies, surf the web, etc.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)
Let me rephrase that...

I doubt they will only make a new 6 inch Nexus. I think a lot of people would be put off by it, but then again the Nexus phones aren't really a consumer-first device. It's designed for developers.

nexus2cee_image45.png

That thing is huge...just look at the spacing of the navigation buttons. They're usually pretty close together on the phone UI. That's more or less a tablet UI on a phone.

I think there's a good possibility they make a 5.2 inch version based off the new Moto X and the 5.9 inch version that's shown up there.

There was a picture of that phone next to an LG G3 on reddit yesterday and someone made a to-scale cut-out from that image. Apparently, it'll be similar in height to the iPhone 6 Plus, but slightly wider.

I also doubt this thing will be cheap...say good bye to the sub $400 price tag. All phablets are expensive, especially ones with a 2K 6 inch screen.

I think I'm going to switch to Tmobile's family plan but only if I can get a non 6 inch nexus. Reason being, its the only phone worth buying out of contract, imo (given its favorable price point to all other phones). With them being willing to give me 208 for my old 4 and buy me out of my sprint contract...I am all in on their family deals. We'd save a lot from my already cheap sprint plan.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
I think I'm going to switch to Tmobile's family plan but only if I can get a non 6 inch nexus. Reason being, its the only phone worth buying out of contract, imo (given its favorable price point to all other phones). With them being willing to give me 208 for my old 4 and buy me out of my sprint contract...I am all in on their family deals. We'd save a lot from my already cheap sprint plan.

You can always get a Nexus 5. It's still cheap and works perfectly fine. It should get Android updates for at least one more year.

It's looking unlikely that there's going to be a smaller Nexus this year, but no one truly knows yet.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
yes

Yea, not a fan...this is another example for change for the sake of change, but there was no clear explanation or use case to do so. It didn't make using photos easier by any stretch, so I don't understand the point.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
You can always get a Nexus 5. It's still cheap and works perfectly fine. It should get Android updates for at least one more year.

It's looking unlikely that there's going to be a smaller Nexus this year, but no one truly knows yet.

Eh...not that interested in getting a 1 yr old phone, unless they drop the price more after the new one comes out.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
Eh...not that interested in getting a 1 yr old phone, unless they drop the price more after the new one comes out.

You can get one for about $300 right now. I've seen some good deals on eBay here and there. I'm sure it'll drop to around $250 once the 6 comes out.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
The new Moto X will probably become price competitive with Nexus 5 off contract after a little while

It's $499 off-contract right now. I bet it'll drop to around $400 or maybe even $350 come thanksgiving.

With the singular issues every summer I have travelling around the north to northeast where they have almost no service, T-MO has been great to deal with. For example they have one tower in Jackson Hole, out by the airport and unless you know where to look, you won't find it. They also throttle your date amount when roaming.