Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
My wife got me an Amazon Echo for my birthday. What cool things can I do with it?

Mine is paired with my Philips Hue lights. IT is more of a novelty than anything else but it is nice to turn off the lights without getting out of bed. I also removed my alarm clock from the nightstand and just use the Echo.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
Is there any way to "schedule" a light to turn on and off at certain times? It'd be nice to have the upstairs hallway light kick on in the morning because the switch is on the other side of the hallway from the bedroom and we trip over cats every day.

I do mine through the HUE Pro app and not the echo. I also use a IFTTT to turn on the lights when I drive into my neighborhood. The only problem is sometimes I drive by between school and golf practice and it triggers.

• 5 weeks later...
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
Is there any way to "schedule" a light to turn on and off at certain times? It'd be nice to have the upstairs hallway light kick on in the morning because the switch is on the other side of the hallway from the bedroom and we trip over cats every day.

I use Wemo to schedule my lights

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 06:54 PM)
ANyone know if there are speaker decks for iPhone 7? All the ones priced in my range are for the ones with the headjack.

What do you mean by speaker deck? Shouldnt they just use the lightning connector or the adapter that came with the 7?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 07:08 PM)
What do you mean by speaker deck? Shouldnt they just use the lightning connector or the adapter that came with the 7?

Oh yeah. I forgot about that cOnnector. I still have it in the box.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
So I've been looking into this. It may be a great solution, however I am leary about the need to pipe everything through Comcast internet

I just assumed you could use any high speed internet. Does it say Xfinity specifically. That is what I have so it wouldn't be a big deal.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
I just assumed you could use any high speed internet. Does it say Xfinity specifically. That is what I have so it wouldn't be a big deal.

In Chicago comcast is required at the moment.

Its what I have too and I am interested in the tech, BUT only if Comcast and those assholes dont start charging for data.

It's funny I actually got a call from a recruiter that was looking for someone to run their entire salesforce in the central area of the country and thats what sparked my interest.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)
In Chicago comcast is required at the moment.

Its what I have too and I am interested in the tech, BUT only if Comcast and those assholes dont start charging for data.

It's funny I actually got a call from a recruiter that was looking for someone to run their entire salesforce in the central area of the country and thats what sparked my interest.

For Comcast or Layer3?

I worked for Comcast for 2 years. It was awesome not getting a cable or internet bill ever.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 04:31 PM)
I'm piling on but does anyone have an Amazon Echo? Looking at the cheaper version.

I love mine, use it daily for music/podcasts, news/weather, control my Philips Hue lights and it's the best alarm clock you can own. Only problem is these f***ing Echo commercials they're running on the TNF Twitter broadcast keep triggering it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 07:07 PM)
I love mine, use it daily for music/podcasts, news/weather, control my Philips Hue lights and it's the best alarm clock you can own. Only problem is these f***ing Echo commercials they're running on the TNF Twitter broadcast keep triggering it.

hahaha I was wondering if it'd do that

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)

I love mine as well. There are so many things you can do with it when you really dig in.

You can also change the name from Alexa so it doesnt get activate by the commercial...