Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
I've ordered a couple card games from Kickstarter with good results.

I probably wouldn't back any project by people who didn't have a solid track record though.

My buddy has backed a lot of board games on kick starter and has had great experiences with that but yeah, he says its always for people who have proven to be legit over time.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
Is kickstarter basically a vaporware scheme? Has there even been a product on there that was released with a few months of the original ship date? I've only backed 3 or 4 things on there but it seemingly turns into a mutiny from the backers every time.

The idea is that you go into it investing in an idea, not buying a product. Well, that's how they justify it anyway.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 11:20 PM)
The Switch looks like a complete joke. It's basically an Nvidia tablet for $100 more, with worse controllers and a non-replaceable battery. I have a feeling this might be the final nail in Nintendo's coffin.

Technologically, I agree with you, but it looks like this system could be wildly popular. We shall see.

The Switch looks like a complete joke. It's basically an Nvidia tablet for $100 more, with worse controllers and a non-replaceable battery. I have a feeling this might be the final nail in Nintendo's coffin.

Totally disagree with you on the technology. Everything I've read is that this is a pretty sophisticated piece of equipment. I'm actually super excited about the hardware itself based on the initial impressions this week. It's everything else that Nintendo typically does that could cause this system to flop.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
Totally disagree with you on the technology. Everything I've read is that this is a pretty sophisticated piece of equipment. I'm actually super excited about the hardware itself based on the initial impressions this week. It's everything else that Nintendo typically does that could cause this system to flop.

What about the hardware is exciting?

I would like to play it at a friend's house (Except I don't know anyone above the age of 15 that plays Nintendo), but I would never buy that thing.

Either way, excited to see how it does.

Anyone have a good, secure way of managing all your passwords. And when I say "secure", I mean in the relative sense, where it is secure, but you can keep everything in one spot without it being a giant pain to ever access, etc. Oh and I want free. Do people just use googledrive with a protected spreadsheet, or does anyone use the fancier tools that are out there (which auto remember, input, etc). I'm tired of going to certain accounts every once in a while to only have to struggle to ever remember how to get on.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
Anyone have a good, secure way of managing all your passwords. And when I say "secure", I mean in the relative sense, where it is secure, but you can keep everything in one spot without it being a giant pain to ever access, etc. Oh and I want free. Do people just use googledrive with a protected spreadsheet, or does anyone use the fancier tools that are out there (which auto remember, input, etc). I'm tired of going to certain accounts every once in a while to only have to struggle to ever remember how to get on.

I use lastpass. I have the premium version which is relatively inexpensive ($1/month) but they have a free version you can check out. I basically have one super complex password to lastpass. Every other password is randomly generated for every site I use and they are extremely complex. I love not having to remember any of the other passwords anymore. Works with moblie devices too.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
I use lastpass. I have the premium version which is relatively inexpensive but they have a free version you can check out. I basically have one super complex password to lastpass. Every other password is randomly generated for every site I use and they are extremely complex. I love not having to remember any of the other passwords anymore. Works with moblie devices too.

Is it easy to have on multiple computers, so that my wife and I can have everything aggregated together. I love mint and the ability to get my financial picture without going all over the planet, but then when I need to get something changed on some random account I never use, it takes forever? My research seemed to indicate lastpass was really good (although it had gotten hacked about a year ago...which was one concern about using one of those companies vs. just like a google drive doc that I password protect...at least then someone would have to look for my google drive and know I had the file there). Not sure if that is really much different or not.

So whenever you go to various websites, the lastpass password and login automatically populate (on your devices you have it up...iphone / android phone / apple computer / PC, etc?). Asking more cause I don't want to go through the effort of pulling this all together and then not liking whatever tool / option I go with (cause figuring out all my passwords will be a pain in the ass in and of itself). Mainly for those random things you never ever access or hope to never access.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
Is it easy to have on multiple computers, so that my wife and I can have everything aggregated together. I love mint and the ability to get my financial picture without going all over the planet, but then when I need to get something changed on some random account I never use, it takes forever? My research seemed to indicate lastpass was really good (although it had gotten hacked about a year ago...which was one concern about using one of those companies vs. just like a google drive doc that I password protect...at least then someone would have to look for my google drive and know I had the file there). Not sure if that is really much different or not.

So whenever you go to various websites, the lastpass password and login automatically populate (on your devices you have it up...iphone / android phone / apple computer / PC, etc?). Asking more cause I don't want to go through the effort of pulling this all together and then not liking whatever tool / option I go with (cause figuring out all my passwords will be a pain in the ass in and of itself). Mainly for those random things you never ever access or hope to never access.

You can definitely install lastpass on multiple devices. I don't share with my wife so can't comment on that. Might need two lastpass accounts for that but I would check into it. Yes, you can have it auto populate your logins across any device and it plays nicely with fingerprint scanners on phones.

Whenever I sign up to a new site, lastpass will prompt whether I want to generate a new password and save the site. The beauty is in creating the password. You can have it generate up to a 100 character password and of course you never have to remember it. It's quite easy to use.

I'm aware of their hack. I went ahead and changed my master password right away. Probably a good idea to change that one periodically.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
You can definitely install lastpass on multiple devices. I don't share with my wife so can't comment on that. Might need two lastpass accounts for that but I would check into it. Yes, you can have it auto populate your logins across any device and it plays nicely with fingerprint scanners on phones.

Whenever I sign up to a new site, lastpass will prompt whether I want to generate a new password and save the site. The beauty is in creating the password. You can have it generate up to a 100 character password and of course you never have to remember it. It's quite easy to use.

I'm aware of their hack. I went ahead and changed my master password right away. Probably a good idea to change that one periodically.

Just started playing around with it and it looks great. And best part, it seems that I can just slowly build up the "database" of stuff as I visit various places.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)
IIRC most information security people suggest coming up with a longish but comprehensible and memorable phrase rather than a bunch of random characters. Something like "MyD0gRuns!Fast" is pretty secure from brute force attacks and you're not going to forget it like you would "09xhBtla=#"

Our corporate folks just went to 15 digit passwords requiring at least the use of 3 of 4 different characters (numbers, special characters, lower case and upper case letters). At our corporate leadership conference it took them 45 minutes to brute force hack just 1 password from our entire corporate roster of passwords. All the other subsidiaries got multiple hacks almost immediately.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)

I use what I sell for work, its not free but it works.

Passwords in general are a pain in the ass. My tip would be use a phrase thats long that you can remember, but nobody else can find out from your social media. I use 2 different phrases for different levels of website security.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)
I use lastpass. I have the premium version which is relatively inexpensive ($1/month) but they have a free version you can check out. I basically have one super complex password to lastpass. Every other password is randomly generated for every site I use and they are extremely complex. I love not having to remember any of the other passwords anymore. Works with moblie devices too.

Any password vault by definition makes it easier to remember your stuff, but does not reduce the likelihood of you getting hacked.

Hacking someone's password through brute force is one way. The easier and more traditional way of hacking someone is by resetting their password and figuring out their secret questions. Its quite easy actually.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
Any password vault by definition makes it easier to remember your stuff, but does not reduce the likelihood of you getting hacked.

Hacking someone's password through brute force is one way. The easier and more traditional way of hacking someone is by resetting their password and figuring out their secret questions. Its quite easy actually.

Right. And it's becoming clear that two factor must be done the right way. A lot of time we rely too often on things thieves can take (i.e. something you know or something you have) when the reality is something you are is the most secure (fingerprint).

Passwords, especially weak ones, can be figured out fairly easily and you phone can easily be stolen, so most two factor stuff is fairly weak.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)
Right. And it's becoming clear that two factor must be done the right way. A lot of time we rely too often on things thieves can take (i.e. something you know or something you have) when the reality is something you are is the most secure (fingerprint).

Passwords, especially weak ones, can be figured out fairly easily and you phone can easily be stolen, so most two factor stuff is fairly weak.

If your phone is stolen and you aren't shutting it off immediately then sure, it's a risk. People who do stupid things like that will open themselves up to risk, but those who do most common sense steps will minimize risk fairly well with MFA.

The bigger problem is that people are stupid and do stupid things.

Ok home theater audiophiles, I need some help here. I've been above average in my home theater knowledge since I was in high school but apparently i'm losing it because I am now stumped.

Here's my setup/issue: I just bought a new Samsung 4ktv. I have a 7.2 channel receiver (Onkyo NR-626). I have a ps4 and chromecast running directly into the receiver. I have an HDMI connection between the TV and receiver's audio return channel hdmi slot. For whatever reason I could not get that working (no sound from the TV) so I ended up also using an optical cable to connect the TV to the receiver.

My issue is the sound that comes out of the TV via the various streaming apps. I want to stream Amazon Video and Netflix through the TV because that's the only way I can get 4k (I have an older chromecast and ps4 model). However, when the sound comes from the TV it's only coming out at PCM 2.0, basically stereo. I cannot for the life of me figure out why. I can get 5.1 (Dolby or DTS) if I go into my sound settings on the TV and tell it to send the audio format in either dolby or dts, but in playing around with it last night, I basically have to do this each time I open an app (like Netflix) or play a specific video (on Amazon Video and other apps). This is incredibly annoying and cannot possibly be the only solution here.

Has anyone had this issue before? Any ideas?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:53 PM)
Everything should go into your receiver and one HDMI to the tv. Your receiver should have the ability to pass through any signal while not on. It should also be able to support 4k.

That was how I originally set it up but the ARC channel was not giving me any audio and I could not figure out why. All the settings on the TV and receiver were both on.

But even still, the sound on the TV currently is still set to come out of the HDMI port and not the optical port and the TV is still not sending 5.1 sound down to the receiver without me telling it to.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
That was how I originally set it up but the ARC channel was not giving me any audio and I could not figure out why. All the settings on the TV and receiver were both on.

But even still, the sound on the TV currently is still set to come out of the HDMI port and not the optical port and the TV is still not sending 5.1 sound down to the receiver without me telling it to.

I'd have to look at it to figure it out. What do you want to go from your TV to your speakers? Are you using the smart function instead of an apple tv or somthing?

Ah just re-read and saw that you do. Ok. So you can now do the inverse. All connections to TV, optical to receiver. Then the receiver stay on the same input all the time, but the tv switches.

Edited by RockRaines