Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 08:11 PM)
The S8's hardware looks great. I contemplated ordering one. Then I remembered Samsung's crap software goes to a crawl after a few months like Windows Vista. I hope Samsung at least pioneered the industry for new screen technology and design. Because the S8 is a gorgeous piece of hardware.

My s7 is about a year old and still humming like a beast.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 11:51 AM)
My s7 is about a year old and still humming like a beast.

I love my S7, but I stupidly ran without a case for the first few months and shattered the back glass on Thanksgiving by dropping it onto a tile floor. Figure that's compromised the IP68 rating, which was a selling point for me.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
I love my S7, but I stupidly ran without a case for the first few months and shattered the back glass on Thanksgiving by dropping it onto a tile floor. Figure that's compromised the IP68 rating, which was a selling point for me.

I got mine a couple of months after they came out, and they were giving away $75 worth of accessories with it at Best Buy when we got them. I got a case and screen protector for that exact reason. I destroyed my s5 almost the exact same way.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Brian @ May 6, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
Stupid Motorola modem has been dropping the wifi signal a lot lately. Frustrating when I'm streaming por...music videos.

You reset it?

I've had to have mine swapped out a few times. I'm fairly sure I just wear them out.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 7, 2017 -> 08:21 AM)
You reset it?

I've had to have mine swapped out a few times. I'm fairly sure I just wear them out.

Yes.

Had to reset twice yesterday. May just go get one from xfinity to rent again.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 7, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
Yes.

Yeah, their new ones are better. I have their new one with two networks for myself and family and I have an Apple one hanging off of that for guests. Seems to be ok.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 7, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
Yes.

The top end ones now are pretty impressive. They even have two different bandwidths for home wifi. I pull down nearly 25 gig down on wifi. I am getting about 175 gigs on my PC.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
The top end ones now are pretty impressive. They even have two different bandwidths for home wifi. I pull down nearly 25 gig down on wifi. I am getting about 175 gigs on my PC.

The comcast ones?

Arris ones get good ratings. Anyone have one?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)

Yeah, the guy came to set it up and I wrote him off, but he optimized the s*** out of it. I have my work PC's on a totally different band and network and they scream.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ugh, I can't seem to get my home security system, thermostat, weather station, and lights to connect to the internet. Everything else works fine. Computers, tablets, phones, etc. I spent a couple hours with Spectrum, ADT is visiting tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What are the best brands of smoke/CO detectors? When we did our rebuild two years we got brand new Kidde monitors put all over the house and have already had two false alarms. Not just chirping cause of the batteries, but full on alarms, which are even more fun when a babysitter is there with the kids. I had to disconnect the hard wiring because then the whole house would be making noise and you had no idea which one it was.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
What are the best brands of smoke/CO detectors? When we did our rebuild two years we got brand new Kidde monitors put all over the house and have already had two false alarms. Not just chirping cause of the batteries, but full on alarms, which are even more fun when a babysitter is there with the kids. I had to disconnect the hard wiring because then the whole house would be making noise and you had no idea which one it was.

#1 consideration IMO is to make sure they are all tied together somehow. You need them to be able to alert you no matter where you are. I've been in a fire where the one smoke alarm was going off and it woke zero people up.

#2 Do you want it as part of your security system, or want it internet accessible.

If none of those are important, go to costsco and buy the first alert packs. Get them with CO2 monitors built it.

I have mine as part of my front point alarm system, but then I also have a couple of networked ones tucked in other places. During my reno we are going to put in even more networked together.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
#1 consideration IMO is to make sure they are all tied together somehow. You need them to be able to alert you no matter where you are. I've been in a fire where the one smoke alarm was going off and it woke zero people up.

#2 Do you want it as part of your security system, or want it internet accessible.

If none of those are important, go to costsco and buy the first alert packs. Get them with CO2 monitors built it.

I have mine as part of my front point alarm system, but then I also have a couple of networked ones tucked in other places. During my reno we are going to put in even more networked together.

We have the entire hard wiring system and they were connected for a while. I get why they should be tied together, but when you get the false alarms and the entire house is beeping and you don't know which one it is, that sucks!

I'll check out the first alert ones at Costco, we spend enough time there as it is.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
We have the entire hard wiring system and they were connected for a while. I get why they should be tied together, but when you get the false alarms and the entire house is beeping and you don't know which one it is, that sucks!

I'll check out the first alert ones at Costco, we spend enough time there as it is.

LOL, yeah I guess thats the downside there.

Even my uber expensive frontpoint ones had a failure and it had to be replaced. I feel like they've all gotten so sensitive that they can fail easily.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Aug 5, 2017 -> 12:46 AM)
Figured out how to keep myself occupied during the downtime on this site.

1) Buy floor lamps

2) But Philips Hue lights

3) Nerd out watching colors change on new lamps

theres also beer

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Aug 5, 2017 -> 12:46 AM)
Figured out how to keep myself occupied during the downtime on this site.

1) Buy floor lamps

2) But Philips Hue lights

3) Nerd out watching colors change on new lamps

Mind posting what these look like and what kid of shadow they cast?

• 2 weeks later...

Been talking about it for years...finally pulled the trigger and cut the cord.

Bought some Apple TV units, a few HDTV antennas, ordered a faster modem, bumped up internet speed to 100 mbs, signed up for Sling TV Orange + Blue with the Sports adder, Netflix, HBO Now, MLB At Bat, and may also do NFL Game Pass.

Only downside is I won't be able to watch full Bears games live...have to rely on Red Zone channel and then if I get Game Pass, I can watch the full game on demand.