Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
My 7 is the first iPhone I technically don’t own since they make you pay monthly now. Used to send my old ones to Gazelle but doubt I can do that anymore so what do you do with old phone you’re “renting”?

Are you using the Apple iPhone upgrade program or one through your carrier?

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 07:09 PM)
I get mine from Apple every year.

Yeah, but is the financing through Apple or your carrier?

For instance, for my iPhone 6+ I used ATT Next, which was basically an installment plan. You can trade your phone in, but only after you pay off all the installments.

With my iPhone 7, I went with the Apple iPhone upgrade program, which gave me the option of trading in after a year, prior to paying off all the installments. So essentially, I paid a higher monthly cost for the optionality. So when the iPhone X came out, I basically "struck" upon the option, which results in me just needing to trade the phone back into them. I get out of paying half the installments, but I am unable to capture any resale/trade value from the phone by doing so.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 10:53 PM)
Yeah, but is the financing through Apple or your carrier?

For instance, for my iPhone 6+ I used ATT Next, which was basically an installment plan. You can trade your phone in, but only after you pay off all the installments.

With my iPhone 7, I went with the Apple iPhone upgrade program, which gave me the option of trading in after a year, prior to paying off all the installments. So essentially, I paid a higher monthly cost for the optionality. So when the iPhone X came out, I basically "struck" upon the option, which results in me just needing to trade the phone back into them. I get out of paying half the installments, but I am unable to capture any resale/trade value from the phone by doing so.

Finances through Apple. So would I have to ship it to them when I upgraded?

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 4, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
Finances through Apple. So would I have to ship it to them when I upgraded?

Yeah, unless you pay it off via installments.

They already sent me a box to ship my iPhone 7 back when I get the X on Monday.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 4, 2017 -> 07:03 PM)
Yeah, unless you pay it off via installments.

They already sent me a box to ship my iPhone 7 back when I get the X on Monday.

I’m not getting new phone til next year anyway so now I know. Thx

My 80 year young mother in law who can Skype with the best of them and isn't totally horrible with technology is looking for a cheap way to call family in Australia, England, and Dubai. I need it to be reasonably simple or cheap. Currently she Skypes all the time but wants the freedom to walk around the house and not be tethered to a computer.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 5, 2017 -> 07:30 PM)
My 80 year young mother in law who can Skype with the best of them and isn't totally horrible with technology is looking for a cheap way to call family in Australia, England, and Dubai. I need it to be reasonably simple or cheap. Currently she Skypes all the time but wants the freedom to walk around the house and not be tethered to a computer.

Google hangouts maybe?

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 5, 2017 -> 04:30 PM)

Facetime? Google Duo?

Is there a reason skype on the mobile phone doesn't work? I didn't think that required wifi.

There are plenty of programs, like wechat, that offer services but require the other parties she wants to talk to to also sign up.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)
After a full weekend with the X -- this thing is awesome. Screen is simply amazing.

I like the facial recognition. Woke up in the middle of the night last night, picked the phone off the wireless charger, looked at it in complete darkness, and it unlocked like a charm.

Also appreciate not having the home button. Even though I like the fingerprint scanner, I often found if I was washing dishes or something and my phone rang, it might be difficult to get to my phone right away because it couldn't read wet fingers. The facial scanner eliminates that issue.

The other thing I have to hand to Apple, is that they have mastered the process of activating the new phone. Everything was transferred over seamlessly...including access to my paired devices, such as my Apple TV units, which was nice.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 7, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
I like the facial recognition. Woke up in the middle of the night last night, picked the phone off the wireless charger, looked at it in complete darkness, and it unlocked like a charm.

Also appreciate not having the home button. Even though I like the fingerprint scanner, I often found if I was washing dishes or something and my phone rang, it might be difficult to get to my phone right away because it couldn't read wet fingers. The facial scanner eliminates that issue.

The other thing I have to hand to Apple, is that they have mastered the process of activating the new phone. Everything was transferred over seamlessly...including access to my paired devices, such as my Apple TV units, which was nice.

Go back and use your old phone, the fingerprint sensor already feels downright archaic as when it came out and you had to go back to "swipe to unlock".

I used to hate opening apps that would make me use the fingerprint sensor, now I open it them and it scans my face and bam -- authenticated into the app seamlessly.

It's one flaw is not being able to open the phone easily when its laying on my desk -- that was one of the best things about the FRONT FACING fingerprint scanner. It's the same flaw about rear facing scanners, you have to pick up the phone every time you want to do something, at least momentarily until it's unlocked.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 06:14 AM)
Go back and use your old phone, the fingerprint sensor already feels downright archaic as when it came out and you had to go back to "swipe to unlock".

I used to hate opening apps that would make me use the fingerprint sensor, now I open it them and it scans my face and bam -- authenticated into the app seamlessly.

It's one flaw is not being able to open the phone easily when its laying on my desk -- that was one of the best things about the FRONT FACING fingerprint scanner. It's the same flaw about rear facing scanners, you have to pick up the phone every time you want to do something, at least momentarily until it's unlocked.

I have a 6+ for my work phone, so I still have to remain fluent in both ;)

Already gets a bit confusing !

Send your email scams to

I’m a sophisticated AI email program designed to reply to email scammers. When you forward a scam to me I adopt one of my many personas and I engage them in conversation, so they waste their time talking to a computer instead of targeting real people.

I also collect info about them, so I can keep learning and share what I’ve learned to help people avoid becoming victims. I never use your email, so it’s safe for you.