Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
Anyone going to pre-order?

I am considering taking the plunge.

Even if I had the money to buy one (which i dont), I'm not sure I would. I continue to waffle on whether or not I like it. It's nice, and probably the best slate/tablet out there. But, I just have no real need for it. While it's iBooks feature is nice, I think i would like the Kindle and Nook better if I actually read books.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:52 AM)
I won't be buying this for 3 reasons.

1) Netbooks cost 1/3 the price, and can do twice as much (multi-tasking especially)

2) It's such an awkward size to carry around, completely impractical.

3) I don't buy Apple products.

That's what I don't understand at all about the upcoming tablet craze. Seems so impractical to carry this sort of thing around with a large exposed screen like that. At least with a netbook you can close it so the screen isn't exposed. If I had one of these tablets I could picture myself only using it at home while sitting on the couch or something but maybe that's what they're ultimately positioning it as.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
That's what I don't understand at all about the upcoming tablet craze. Seems so impractical to carry this sort of thing around with a large exposed screen like that. At least with a netbook you can close it so the screen isn't exposed. If I had one of these tablets I could picture myself only using it at home while sitting on the couch or something but maybe that's what they're ultimately positioning it as.

Which again, is why you would buy a netbook for 1/3 the price, or a laptop for the same price, but can do a LOT more things. I mean, not being able to multi-task is such a killer. I wouldn't have bought it anyway, but once I found out is has no multi-tasking, it immediately became irrelevant. They are probably saving that for their iPad 2nd generation, so people will flip out about it and get excited again.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
Which again, is why you would buy a netbook for 1/3 the price, or a laptop for the same price, but can do a LOT more things. I mean, not being able to multi-task is such a killer. I wouldn't have bought it anyway, but once I found out is has no multi-tasking, it immediately became irrelevant. They are probably saving that for their iPad 2nd generation, so people will flip out about it and get excited again.

Well, I doubt that, as the iPhone and iTouch still does not do multi-tasking.

My other issue is I would never buy a netbook. I don't know if I will ever buy another windows-based machine. So my other option is a 13-inch Macbook, which comes in around $1199. And while the Macbook would be able to handle a lot more, I just don't know how much else I would use other than what the iPad does. And the Macbook does not have 3G service, which is a key feature from my perspective.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
Something like this seems to make more sense for what I'd want. More portable and kindle integration.

I think your phone is always going to be the item you use to put in your pocket.

Something like this is going to be something you tote around in a bag or carry around in an office setting or a home setting.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
Something like this seems to make more sense for what I'd want. More portable and kindle integration.

If people want an internet tablet, get an Archos.

The 7 and 9 are very nice, and cheaper than the iPad.....

Archos 9

Or Archos 7....

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:52 AM)
I won't be buying this for 3 reasons.

1) Netbooks cost 1/3 the price, and can do twice as much (multi-tasking especially)

2) It's such an awkward size to carry around, completely impractical.

3) I don't buy Apple products.

Why dont you buy apple products? The ipod is amazing and desktop computers are tanks.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
Well, I doubt that, as the iPhone and iTouch still does not do multi-tasking.

My other issue is I would never buy a netbook. I don't know if I will ever buy another windows-based machine. So my other option is a 13-inch Macbook, which comes in around $1199. And while the Macbook would be able to handle a lot more, I just don't know how much else I would use other than what the iPad does. And the Macbook does not have 3G service, which is a key feature from my perspective.

Any windows machine that connects to the internet is going to have an issue sooner or later, Mac's are absolutely great machines. I use my imac as a media server mostly, and it works so well because it doesnt get the crap on it that windows machines seem to and make me have to reinstall the OS.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
Any windows machine that connects to the internet is going to have an issue sooner or later, Mac's are absolutely great machines. I use my imac as a media server mostly, and it works so well because it doesnt get the crap on it that windows machines seem to and make me have to reinstall the OS.

Yeah, I bought my first iPod about 6 years ago and have been using solely Apple products since then. First I bought the iBook, then I got an iMac desktop, then an iPhone. Plan on getting the 27" iMac within the next few years, hopefully if they come out with a machine that includes a blu-ray player.

And just pre-ordered the 64 gig iPad, without 3G. Decided I did not need to be paying $40 for another data plan. Wifi signals are pretty easy to find these days, so I'll just deal with it.

Got the 64 gig with the case for just under $800 shipped.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
I can't stand Apple and their overpriced products. The only thing they have ever made that I wanted was the iTouch, but not enough to buy.

Which ones in particular come across as overpriced? Their ipods are well priced IMO, my nano was very affordable and is awesome.

My imac was also affordable, a rock solid long term computer for $1000 with 4GB of Mem and 1TB of storage is unreal in the computer world IMO. My Dell's generally only lasted 2 year max before I needed to upgrade, this will last for 5+

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
Which ones in particular come across as overpriced? Their ipods are well priced IMO, my nano was very affordable and is awesome.

My imac was also affordable, a rock solid long term computer for $1000 with 4GB of Mem and 1TB of storage is unreal in the computer world IMO. My Dell's generally only lasted 2 year max before I needed to upgrade, this will last for 5+

I have not checked out their most recent prices on their mp3 players, but whenever I have been in the market to buy a new mp3 player, Apples are always priced higher than comparable items, and usually lack all the features of the other devices. Plus the whole iTunes mess that I can not stand. I just see no reason to buy an apple when there are many other brands offering similar products at better price and work just as well, if not better. And their whole mentality of thinking their are literally inventing and innovating everything is so annoying.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
I have not checked out their most recent prices on their mp3 players, but whenever I have been in the market to buy a new mp3 player, Apples are always priced higher than comparable items, and usually lack all the features of the other devices. Plus the whole iTunes mess that I can not stand. I just see no reason to buy an apple when there are many other brands offering similar products at better price and work just as well, if not better. And their whole mentality of thinking their are literally inventing and innovating everything is so annoying.

I used to think this same way....and then I bought just one of their products.

Why do you think they OWN the mp3 market if they don't make the best device?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)

Because they market the hell out of their products. How many other mp3 players do you ever see advertised? The Microsoft Zune is the only other one I have ever seen advertised, and not even CLOSE to the advertising apple does. You know they advertise a s***load when you hear people saying "iPods are the best, and mp3 players suck!" I just facepalm and punch them in the face for being so ignorant. Ask friends and family and I bet you 80% of them think an ipod and an mp3 player are two different things. Apple spends so much money is ads that people actually think an mp3 player is different from an ipod.

If you know your way around a computer and can build it your own or shop smartly, you can find much better deals than a Mac. But, if you dont know much and just go off of standard deals and such the Mac is reasonably priced.

I have always been a PC owner with an ipod as my mp3 player (I have a touch now and its amazing). I really want to buy a mac mini just to have a desktop that wont cost $1000 but also have the software that Mac has, like iweb which is just amazing for building websites.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)

I have a Zune as well as an Ipod and its not nearly as good as my ipod. Not as intuitive, doesnt work with itunes (defacto MP3 player), they just arent as good. IPODS are the best, my nano was 100 bucks and its ridiculous. I also have a classic (huge storage) and 2 shuffles for working out. All are intuitive and work great.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
Because they market the hell out of their products. How many other mp3 players do you ever see advertised? The Microsoft Zune is the only other one I have ever seen advertised, and not even CLOSE to the advertising apple does. You know they advertise a s***load when you hear people saying "iPods are the best, and mp3 players suck!" I just facepalm and punch them in the face for being so ignorant. Ask friends and family and I bet you 80% of them think an ipod and an mp3 player are two different things. Apple spends so much money is ads that people actually think an mp3 player is different from an ipod.

Well, the touch is much more than an mp3 player, I view it as a portable media device, as I can go on the internet, play games, etc. And if you want to compare prices, the Zune is about the same price, while lacking alot of what a touch offers (both are very good at certain things though).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
If you know your way around a computer and can build it your own or shop smartly, you can find much better deals than a Mac. But, if you dont know much and just go off of standard deals and such the Mac is reasonably priced.

I have always been a PC owner with an ipod as my mp3 player (I have a touch now and its amazing). I really want to buy a mac mini just to have a desktop that wont cost $1000 but also have the software that Mac has, like iweb which is just amazing for building websites.

Try a refurb Imac, they are very reasonably priced, and the performance is amazing. I bought a core Duo, with 4 gig of RAM and 1 TB of storage for about 1,000