Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
Why even make a non 3G with 16GB? What a useless piece of crap. What can that store 1 video game and 3 HD movies?

The only "usable" model is the 32GB with 3G.

This is how Apple works. They give you a "low end" device to make you want the higher priced one.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
If this event doesnt end with "iPhone is coming to version" i just wasted 2 hours of my life.

oh, you mean Verizon?

I was staring at that for like 3 minutes trying to figure out what you meant.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
But reading a newspaper is like reading a newspaper. And its much cheaper. And you aren't sad when you leave it on the train accidentally.

People still read the newspaper? Who knew?!

I love Apple and own an iPhone, iPod, and MacBook, none of which have ever failed me, but I have zero interest in this product, and can't see how this product would be good for anyone...I don't see the point.

I need to see this at an Apple store where I can actually play with it for a bit before I make my purchase. But so far, not bad. I have been looking for a E Reader for a few years to house documentation from vendors in one place. Most of my tech books have the ability to deliver their content in E Reader/PDF format. Consider that most of the high end ereaders are in a similar place when it comes to price it looks pretty attractive. It will be interesting to see the IPad ( god why not ISlate ) only apps that come out. All I need is an ssh app or a terminal app and I am set to roll with this.

Well I don't have a laptop. And I am sure not going to read an entire book on my iPhone.

Most travelers don't need a full-blown laptop. They need more of a media and internet device, which is what this is.

And to think if I could have had this in law school, where I could have had law texts on it instead of a 25 pound book. I think this device really has a lot of value for people who want a portable device, but don't want to shell out $1,500-2,000 for a Macbook, or wouldn't use most of its functionality.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
I think this device really has a lot of value for people who want a portable device, but don't want to shell out $1,500-2,000 for a Macbook, or wouldn't use most of its functionality.

Wouldn't the alternative be a $300 netbook and not a $1500-2000 Macbook?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)

That's what I am thinking. I want something small and light that I could check email and do some light word processing.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)
It's nice, but buying apps through iTunes really sucks. I was hoping for something closer to OS X than iPhoneOS. It's iPhoneOS on steroids.

I agree, but it looks better than the iPhoneOS at first glance. As Irish mentioned, I'd have to play with it before deciding if I want it. And as you said, I probably don't want the first version. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd when my laptop needs to be replaced.

It seems very Star Trek Next Gen to me. Their info pads (whatever they were called) that they went around the ship reading and writing reports, etc.

I wouldn't put too much in the price, there was a huge drop in price for the iphone, i don't expect the same after 5 mos. or whatever since that pissed off a lot of people, but I don't see it being 600 or more.

Also, it works better than a netbook for commercial use for the following: browsing and hd movies. That will have a lot of commercial appeal for dumb teenagers and traveling. In addition to working as your own kindel/school. Plus it removes a weak point of lap tops that a lot of problems happen: the joint.

I don't get it. It's like a giant phone but not a phone. My laptop and phone can do everything this thing does, better then this thing does it. The best part I paid less for both of them combined then one of the higher end models.

I don't really get apple, and don't understand why people are in love with them. They just come up with new crap all the time that no one needs and way overprice it.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 04:20 AM)
I don't really get apple, and don't understand why people are in love with them. They just come up with new crap all the time that no one needs and way overprice it.

um, what? Yeah i guess people don't NEED a laptop or a computer or ipod or phone. True, it's not water. But these are all things that many people do really want. None of this is that bizaare. This is essentially an answer to netbooks and kindels. You won't be seeing it in sharper image.

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
This thing isn't gonna be useful until you are able to pull things off of a computer screen and right onto the pad like in Avatar.

Nerd.

Anywho, if I were in the market for something like this the lack of ability to multi-task is what will turn me off from this. I usually like to have music playing while I'm working on something. That & a camera for teleconferencing would of been nice. I'm sure Apple will release another upgraded one in about a year or so.

The lack of multi-tasking is a bit puzzling. I doubt if the decision is OS based more as if its hardware based. I wonder if the issue is with their custom chipset.

The other issue is the resolution. How did they miss the boat on not making this 16:9.

As far as where this fits in the overall computer hierarchy. This is a minimal computing device not a laptop. It runs some video, some audio, allows people to surf and get their email and run some apps and has a primary ereader capability. This is not for running heavy processing apps or as a front end for business. I wouldn't recommend this, or any atom based netbook for anything but casual use. They are both toys of convenience that have use as a peripheral web browsing/audio device. The tablet format will make this a better ereader. The tablet format however will drive people nuts when they actually try to type. I have a feeling as cool as the multi touch screen is, it will have the same issues that the Blackberry storm has versus the blackberry. People get used to the feel of a keyboard. And its hard to get away from that.

As far as heavy duty video conferencing/word processing/etc. This is what it is. This is not a primary replacement for your laptop. It is a media/web browsing device. If you put it into that context its a lot easier. Its the same argument I had with people at my work when netbooks are brought up, usually around budgeting. Why should we get this base model laptop when I can save all sorts of money with this 300 dollar netbook. A 300 dollar netbook running a crappy atom processor is not in the same class as the typical multicore intel proc with multiple gigs of ram.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 06:44 PM)

I would not buy a $300 netbook if I planned to do anything important on it. Which is why, if I needed a true laptop, I would buy a quality laptop, like a Macbook.

But I don't need a laptop. I need/want a bigger multimedia player with internet connectivity, works as a digital reader, and has basic word processing capabilities.

Why would I buy a netbook if I wanted those things?