Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 07:39 PM)
In some ways, I like Gingrich better than any of the other candidates. I think he is very sharp, he has a track record of working across the aisle, and he's very legislatively savvy. Of course he is also the biggest asshole amongst the den of assholes.

Newt Gingrich can be a total jackass, i will not deny that. But he's still probably who I would vote for in the primary.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
Newt Gingrich can be a total jackass, i will not deny that. But he's still probably who I would vote for in the primary.

I'm wondering why I will vote in the primary. If the Texas race is close, I may go vote.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
One of the women involved in Cain's harassment settlements wants to come forward, and her lawyer is now trying to see if Cain's public statements denying the harassment means that he has vacated the confidentiality part of the agreement and thus would allow her to do the same.

Ouch, seems fair. I'm not ready to convict him based on a settlement.

I don't seem to recall the press being this interested in a sex scandal when you had a Presidential contender screwing around on his sick wife. There were even details in that one, and no confidentiality agreements to get in the way.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
In some ways, I like Gingrich better than any of the other candidates. I think he is very sharp, he has a track record of working across the aisle, and he's very legislatively savvy. Of course he is also the biggest asshole amongst the den of assholes.

From an outsider's point of view I'd agree with this.

He seems to be the least "wacky" and has some actualy decent policy ideas.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 06:30 AM)
I don't seem to recall the press being this interested in a sex scandal when you had a Presidential contender screwing around on his sick wife. There were even details in that one, and no confidentiality agreements to get in the way.

Newt?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 06:53 AM)
Newt?

LOL, we all know who he meant I think (Edwards), and of course we heard all about that one. So I have no idea what he is referring to as some sort of cover-up. Unless maybe he really did mean Newt? Or some Democrat other than Edwards?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
LOL, we all know who he meant I think (Edwards), and of course we heard all about that one. So I have no idea what he is referring to as some sort of cover-up. Unless maybe he really did mean Newt? Or some Democrat other than Edwards?

There was a considerable amount of time between the story coming out and it being widely reported because it wasn't coming from "reputable sources".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)
There was a considerable amount of time between the story coming out and it being widely reported because it wasn't coming from "reputable sources".

It was coming from the National Inquirer. That's the definition of a disreputable source.

This story is coming from Politico and has been acknowledged by Cain. The comparison doesn't really make much sense.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)

I knew he meant Edwards, I just wanted to throw in a jab at family-values man Newt.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)

Politico is generally going to get a little more traction than the friggin National Enquirer, and so it should. Either way, it happened and was all over the press in both cases. Hell, if you will recall, I hated Edwards all along, so I am the last guy who would defend him. But his story ran a LOT in the national press, after a few days went buy and the Enquirer's story could be backed up by some believable evidence.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 08:15 AM)
Politico is generally going to get a little more traction than the friggin National Enquirer, and so it should. Either way, it happened and was all over the press in both cases. Hell, if you will recall, I hated Edwards all along, so I am the last guy who would defend him. But his story ran a LOT in the national press, after a few days went buy and the Enquirer's story could be backed up by some believable evidence.

When it was all too late to really matter. And I am not defending Newt in any way. Good politician, slimy guy. Seems to almost be the norm, for both sides.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)

There's another side of this too...and that's the crap response by Cain's campaign. He's changed his stories more times in 3 days than I have fingers to count on. The Edwards campaign simply denied, denied, denied. Every time the story changes...it's another story, and it's another claim that can be investigated, maybe without much effort.

It's much easier to report "Cain's new story contradicts Cain's last story" than it is to actually go out and do things like "investigating to find buried 1990's court records regarding settlements that are supposedly sealed and then working around signed confidentiality agreements".

Anybody want to know who's campaign leaked it to Politico?

A Republican consultant in Oklahoma who has conducted polling for a Super PAC supporting Rick Perry claims that he personally witnessed Herman Cain harass one of his accusers. And — from what he saw at least — the case is no joke.

“I was the pollster at the National Restaurant Association when Herman Cain was head of it and I was around a couple of times when this happened and anyone who was involved with the NRA at the time, knew that this was gonna come up,” strategist Chris Wilson told local station KTOK in an interview on Wednesday.

According to Wilson, the main incident occurred at a DC-area restaurant and that “everybody was aware of it,” but that for legal reasons he can’t discuss the details. But he added that if Cain’s accuser comes forward — and one of the two woman who reportedly received a settlement has expressed interest in doing just that — her story won’t be pretty. “If she talks about it, I think it’ll be the end of his campaign,” he said.

“It was only a matter of time because so many people were aware of what took place, so many people were aware of her situation, the fact she left—-everybody knew with the campaign that this would eventually come up,” Wilson said.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 06:02 PM)
It ain't bad to leak if it's true.

better to get this scandal out now than in the general election.

but if it comes out that Rick Perry's campaign was behind tipping off Politico, that won't help him at all. it will only increase the number of GOP voters that hate him.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 07:30 AM)

Huh? That killed whatever was left of his political career. Everyone knew about it and it was all over the place.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 06:30 AM)

You are kidding, right? Or is there someone other than Edwards?