Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

Despite the long-term damage to the economy inflicted by the government’s interference in the housing market, the government’s policies of diverting capital to other uses creates a short-term boom in housing. Like all artificially-created bubbles, the boom in housing prices cannot last forever. When housing prices fall, homeowners will experience difficulty as their equity is wiped out. Furthermore, the holders of the mortgage debt will also have a loss. These losses will be greater than they would have otherwise been had government policy not actively encouraged over-investment in housing.

;)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Nov 25, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
From this field.. I don't see the GOP getting back the White House.. The 8 are playing to the GOP base, but I can't see them getting INDEP to vote for them on key issues.

Obama should be easy to beat. but the GOP isn't impressing me right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
No posts about Newt getting endorsed by NH's biggest newspaper? But I thought this thread was for news about the GOP nominating process?

I've stopped thinking that newspaper endorsements matter, mostly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
No posts about Newt getting endorsed by NH's biggest newspaper? But I thought this thread was for news about the GOP nominating process?

Congratulations Newt! But we don't listen to the liberal media anymore.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
From the way back machine . . .

Compared to the headwinds Obama has now, Bush in 2004 should have looked like a shoo-in. 2 years off of 90% approval ratings, legitimate "Wartime" president with seeming actual victories to his name, 5.4% unemployment rate.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
More like it is "good" news, so it isn't getting posted.

When is the last time that a newspaper endorsement actually seemed to move a race? Last time I let myself get excited about one of those was in the 08 race when I thought that a few key paper endorsements would swing votes towards Obama, in particular in the California primary, and it did effectively nothing. In 2 days, no one will remember the endorsement. Hell, 1/3 of the people who heard about it are probably angry with Newt and wondering why he's getting endorsements from New Hampshire Union Leaders, since the Unions need to be destroyed anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
When is the last time that a newspaper endorsement actually seemed to move a race? Last time I let myself get excited about one of those was in the 08 race when I thought that a few key paper endorsements would swing votes towards Obama, in particular in the California primary, and it did effectively nothing. In 2 days, no one will remember the endorsement. Hell, 1/3 of the people who heard about it are probably angry with Newt and wondering why he's getting endorsements from New Hampshire Union Leaders, since the Unions need to be destroyed anyway.

Right. So now the news has to have some sort of importance? Excuse me while I lol.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
More like it is "good" news, so it isn't getting posted.

when are GOPers going to realize that it's actually republicans who generally own the media outlets in this country? baffling.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
idgi. Are you really complaining that one of the few active liberal posters didn't rush to this thread after a long holiday weekend to post relatively minor news about a newspaper endorsing Gingrich?

I made the point when this thread started that it would just turn into GOP bashing by the Dems here. My point in posting that is that exactly that has happened. No one hesitates to post "relatively minor news" when it is "bad". This thread turned into the exact worthless steaming heap of partisan crap it was destined to become.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
when are GOPers going to realize that it's actually republicans who generally own the media outlets in this country? baffling.

Congrats for totally missing the point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
I made the point when this thread started that it would just turn into GOP bashing by the Dems here. My point in posting that is that exactly that has happened. No one hesitates to post "relatively minor news" when it is "bad". This thread turned into the exact worthless steaming heap of partisan crap it was destined to become.

Congrats for totally missing the point.

no i just skewed it to make it fit MY point. taking a page out of yall's book.

hah. i didn't even read the first part of your post. but yeah of course that's what it was going to turn into. you don't think the one for Kerry/Edwards/Dean etc etc was exactly the same back in the day? :P

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)

Fine, I'll stop biting my tongue since I continue to be called out.

If I had posted it, then you'd just rip me for posting things that make Romney look bad, since Newt is a weaker nominee than Obama, to the point that the DNC is currently running ads against Romney in key states.

If I hadn't posted it, you'd rip me for not posting something positive for newt, as you just did.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
Fine, I'll stop biting my tongue since I continue to be called out.

If I had posted it, then you'd just rip me for posting things that make Romney look bad, since Newt is a weaker nominee than Obama, to the point that the DNC is currently running ads against Romney in key states.

If I hadn't posted it, you'd rip me for not posting something positive for newt, as you just did.

Honestly I wouldn't have said anything, that's the funny part.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
no i just skewed it to make it fit MY point. taking a page out of yall's book.

hah. i didn't even read the first part of your post. but yeah of course that's what it was going to turn into. you don't think the one for Kerry/Edwards/Dean etc etc was exactly the same back in the day? :P

It wasn't dominated by people trying to undermine the candidates.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)

to be completely fair, that race did not include Michelle Bachmann, Rick Perry and Herman I-Dont-Know-A-Damn-Thing-About-Politics Cain

do you seriously believe any of those three are even CAPABLE of running a country?

you can disagree with a candidate's politics but still see them as a legitimate candidate. For example, I am against most of the things Mitt Romney is for - however, when I see him speak, he at least looks "presidential". Guy can command a room and speak with authority and has an understanding of all the issues. John Kerry, John Edwards, Howard Dean, Gen. Wes Clark, Dick Gephardt, Bob Graham, Dennis Kucinich, Al Sharpton, Joe Lieberman. Of those, sure a few were fringe candidates who had no shot of winning, but every single one of them understood politics, understood the issues, and none of them were the executive of a frickin' PIZZA company. And they all remembered their speaking points, and they all knew where Syria was on a map.

The GOP has taken this ridiculous turn for the worse, and is putting out complete idiots as legitimate candidates, just to appeal to the complete idiots who make up their party. "Oh gee golly wiz, s/he is just like me! she forgets stuff too!"

Sorry, I don't want someone who's "just like" billy bob from the bayou of Louisiana running our damn country. I just don't.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)

I'm sorry, but, your current, weird rant on this makes no sense. You are upset because no one happened to post a specific newspaper endorsement of a candidate today? And, somehow, this is something about liberal bias or something? Could you explain what you are trying to get at here? Because right now it comes off as entirely incoherent.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)

I would be interested in hearing your logic in support of that statement. Unless the sky is pink in your world and then you can just keep them to yourself.