Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/20...nationally.html

Stephen Colbert wants to run for President but he's not on the ballot in South Carolina. Americans Elect is on the ballot in a lot of states but doesn't have a candidate. Could Colbert and Americans Elect's interests intersect? We find Colbert getting 13% in a hypothetical third party run for President, compared to 41% for Obama and 38% for Romney. A Colbert bid could be a blessing in disguise for the GOP. His voters go for Obama over Romney 52-38 in a straight head to head, so his presence as a potential candidate works to the Republicans' advantage.

36% of voters have a favorable opinion of him to 28% with a negative one. His 36% favorability is better than the entire GOP field. Romney's at 35%, Santorum at 30%, Paul at 27%, Gingrich at 26%, and Perry at 21%. Colbert's popular with Democrats (47/21) and independents (43/26) but not with Republicans (18/39) despite his best efforts to run as one of their Presidential candidates.

:lolhitting

First chance to respond. Does it really matter when he drops? I'm disappointed his immigration stance and fiscal restraint did not catch fire with the GOP base. Even if it had not caught on enough to have him be a serious contender, I would have liked to see his supporters sway the party platform in that direction.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
First chance to respond. Does it really matter when he drops? I'm disappointed his immigration stance and fiscal restraint did not catch fire with the GOP base. Even if it had not caught on enough to have him be a serious contender, I would have liked to see his supporters sway the party platform in that direction.

Oh for the love of...

Tex, you really want that combination of two specific political beliefs so badly you would want someone like Perry to be the President? A guy who is so obviously overmatched by even the rest of this clown car, let alone the world stage?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
I sorta take everything from them with a grain of salt, they haven't had the most accurate record in the last few years and they also clearly try to set narratives by flooding the market with polls, but an 11 point swing over 2 weeks is something that ought to start screaming out.

NBC/Marist is out today with a South Carolina poll showing Mittens's lead over Newt narrowing to 5. Obviously, that's prior to all the things happening today.

PPP is also out in the field in SC, a multi-day poll, and has the pair effectively tied in their first day, large margin of error sample

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 07:55 AM)
Turns out Santorum won Iowa by 34 votes. This won't change the delegate outcome.

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/gop-ca...weeks-af/nGTb6/

Great, so the good ol, folksy, totally unrepresentative state that for some reason still gets to go ahead of every other state can't even get an accurate statement of their "Winner" 2 weeks afterwards, gives "Mittmentum" to a guy who didn't win, and we can all be proud in the fact that Iowa's caucus format is a sad excuse for an election and needs to go away.

This just annoys the bleep out of me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
Great, so the good ol, folksy, totally unrepresentative state that for some reason still gets to go ahead of every other state can't even get an accurate statement of their "Winner" 2 weeks afterwards, gives "Mittmentum" to a guy who didn't win, and we can all be proud in the fact that Iowa's caucus format is a sad excuse for an election and needs to go away.

This just annoys the bleep out of me.

They also lost a bunch of votes, so we'll never have any idea who really won. Go Iowa!