Relationship Advice Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (G&T @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
What is this?

Your Age / 2 = X

X + 7 = Y

Y = If the girl is suitable to date. Also works vice versa. Basically if the person you're dating is less than Y in terms of age, then it's going to be awkward, not work out and not worth it because you will have too few things in common. If you're the younger person and your age is less than y, you guys shouldn't date still.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
Quick question, nothing too serious.

How would you go about approaching a girl that you have a class with?

Talk about how much the teacher sucks and then drop a hint like you should compare notes some time, if she's game, you're off.

Whatever you do, let your personality just fly after initiating the conversation. If she's turned off, you'll end up having to act fake for her. If she likes you, you're as good as golden. Always be confident about the person you are, add a little of cockyness, but always remain respectful and fun.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 07:12 PM)
Your Age / 2 = X

X + 7 = Y

Y = If the girl is suitable to date. Also works vice versa. Basically if the person you're dating is less than Y in terms of age, then it's going to be awkward, not work out and not worth it because you will have too few things in common. If you're the younger person and your age is less than y, you guys shouldn't date still.

Why 7?

QUOTE (The Beast @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
I'm not, I'm working on a marketing project. However, I was just going to go ahead and post in this thread because I'm about to execute a plan around this time tomorrow night.

With what transpired over the weekend and the amount of texting back and forth that has been going on, I'm going to ask her out tomorrow night. She mentioned that red wine is her weakness and that she would like to hang out this weekend. So, I'm going to ask if she wanted to meet up for dinner at Olive Garden and watch some How I Met Your Mother episodes afterwards. The nice thing is that I now have a single room and have a lot of space to sit and watch episodes on my desktop computer. (I'm also open to watching it at her place.) So, is there anything that I should or shouldn't do? I'll see her tomorrow night at the Brazilian martial arts club.

Ross man, you write a book, my friend.

You would be incredibly successful.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
I'm not, I'm working on a marketing project. However, I was just going to go ahead and post in this thread because I'm about to execute a plan around this time tomorrow night.

With what transpired over the weekend and the amount of texting back and forth that has been going on, I'm going to ask her out tomorrow night. She mentioned that red wine is her weakness and that she would like to hang out this weekend. So, I'm going to ask if she wanted to meet up for dinner at Olive Garden and watch some How I Met Your Mother episodes afterwards. The nice thing is that I now have a single room and have a lot of space to sit and watch episodes on my desktop computer. (I'm also open to watching it at her place.) So, is there anything that I should or shouldn't do? I'll see her tomorrow night at the Brazilian martial arts club.

Olive garden huh? If she orders Alfredo, run!!!

Its too bad you dont have an apt, cooking for her while you both drink would be a hell of a good time. Mexican fiesta night aka sloppy sex night was always successful for me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
Olive garden huh? If she orders Alfredo, run!!!

Its too bad you dont have an apt, cooking for her while you both drink would be a hell of a good time. Mexican fiesta night aka sloppy sex night was always successful for me.

Did somebody say FIESTA?????

:)

Rock, you make me laugh, my friend.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
I live in a house with 5 other guys, so the kitchen is available and I have cooked Italian food before. I just know that they are always around so it wouldn't be the most romantic of sorts while the rest of those dudes parade around the house. Though we do have a basement...unfortunately it is unfinished.

After reading Lewis Black's book tonight, I might as well try writing something important. Too bad I don't give a rats ass about literature or I may have been a good English major. I note your sarcasm and raise you a quarter.

Give them $100 to send them to a strip club or something for the night.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 08:03 AM)
Give them $100 to send them to a strip club or something for the night.

No, just say, "Dudes, get the f*** out of here for a while." Any decent roommate can do that for you.

ETA: $100 between 5 guys at a strip club. Wow, some girl is going to be totally happy she didn't skip a shift and miss these high rollers.

:D

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
No, just say, "Dudes, get the f*** out of here for a while." Any decent roommate can do that for you.

ETA: $100 between 5 guys at a strip club. Wow, some girl is going to be totally happy she didn't skip a shift and miss these high rollers.

:D

Hell I got kicked out of my own bed by my room-mate in NY at 4 in the morning because he brought a girl home and wanted to "boink" her, as we used to say.

But $20 for a guy at a strip club should at least get you a lap dance.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)
Hell I got kicked out of my own bed by my room-mate in NY at 4 in the morning because he brought a girl home and wanted to "boink" her, as we used to say.

But $20 for a guy at a strip club should at least get you a lap dance.

Yeah if there's no cover charge.

This is certainly an odd question (and I definitely never expected to be asking it on an online forum), but anyone have suggestions for telling roommates that you're dating another of the roommates? I live with two guys and a girl, and the girl and I have decided to start dating. Of course, now neither of us know how to even start telling the other two guys. Any thoughts?

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 12:16 AM)
This is certainly an odd question (and I definitely never expected to be asking it on an online forum), but anyone have suggestions for telling roommates that you're dating another of the roommates? I live with two guys and a girl, and the girl and I have decided to start dating. Of course, now neither of us know how to even start telling the other two guys. Any thoughts?

Well explain how you all know eachother first.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 11:39 PM)
Well explain how you all know eachother first.

The girl and Guy A are from the same hometown and have lived with each other the past two years in two different houses. No romantic interest, but they've been friends for awhile. Guy B was a friend of Guy A in the dorms, and since we're at college, became the friend of the rest of us. I was friends with the girl before moving in, but wasn't particularly close. Interest sparked up last month on a roadtrip we all took, and continued and evolved into a serious relationship last weekend after some chats. Now we just don't know how to bring up the topic to the other guys :P

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
The girl and Guy A are from the same hometown and have lived with each other the past two years in two different houses. No romantic interest, but they've been friends for awhile. Guy B was a friend of Guy A in the dorms, and since we're at college, became the friend of the rest of us. I was friends with the girl before moving in, but wasn't particularly close. Interest sparked up last month on a roadtrip we all took, and continued and evolved into a serious relationship last weekend after some chats. Now we just don't know how to bring up the topic to the other guys :P

Interesting.

So it's fair to assume that you don't believe Guy A or Guy B will have an issue with the two of you dating?

I would do one of two things. I would just come out and tell them at the same time, perhaps at dinner, while the four of you are watching a movie, or doing something you all typically do together; or I would just let them find out for themselves. It's not your duty to make an announcement, and I think it's going to be a bit weird for them no matter how they find out. So it's just however the two of you feel most comfortable.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
This is good. In the meantime, keep this girl who you're making out with, at least on the side. Honestly, it's going to take some time to get the original girl off of your mind. At the same time, she's going to say and do s*** that'll make you say, "Wow, this is how you really are" now that you are outside of the relationship zone with this girl.

You may think you love her and she just needs time to see that she loves you. It ain't going to work that way though. She's gonna slut around and come to you when she feels lonely, she's drunk, or she gets rejected until you flat out don't allow it.

I figured I would respond to this.

This girl who I've dated for 2 years and have been trying to get back (and dug myself a real deep hole this past weekend) is not the kind of girl who is going to go out and hook up with random dudes on random nights. And this other girl who I did mess around with isn't currently in school and isn't the kind of girl I would consider dating, and I really don't care for flings (though I apparently did this past weekend). Part of my desire to get her back I believe is because it's my first love, but I feel the biggest part of it is because she truly is an incredible girl. I wouldn't do this - atleast, I don't believe I'd do this - over some superficial bimbo who cares more about cock and partying than she does me. She means the world to me, and I did something really stupid, so, crazy as it is, I'm trying to get her back, again.

Anyways, I'm giving her space right now to do thinking - last week of classes before spring break, and she'll be going out to see siblings on the west coast during her break - and if she talks to me right now, I'll talk; I'm not going to ignore her. In the meantime, I'm going to start doing some more things I said I would do at the beginning of last semester while continuing on with other aspects of my life I've improved and make myself an overall better person. After Spring Break, I'm going to try and set up a meeting...like going out for coffee or something...just to get a chance to talk to her in person, and I'll go from there. The goal of it all is to win her back over. If it doesn't work, then I've set myself up to go right back out into the single world. If it does, then I'm happy and I'm still a better person overall.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 12:12 AM)
I figured I would respond to this.

This girl who I've dated for 2 years and have been trying to get back (and dug myself a real deep hole this past weekend) is not the kind of girl who is going to go out and hook up with random dudes on random nights. And this other girl who I did mess around with isn't currently in school and isn't the kind of girl I would consider dating, and I really don't care for flings (though I apparently did this past weekend). Part of my desire to get her back I believe is because it's my first love, but I feel the biggest part of it is because she truly is an incredible girl. I wouldn't do this - atleast, I don't believe I'd do this - over some superficial bimbo who cares more about cock and partying than she does me. She means the world to me, and I did something really stupid, so, crazy as it is, I'm trying to get her back, again.

Anyways, I'm giving her space right now to do thinking - last week of classes before spring break, and she'll be going out to see siblings on the west coast during her break - and if she talks to me right now, I'll talk; I'm not going to ignore her. In the meantime, I'm going to start doing some more things I said I would do at the beginning of last semester while continuing on with other aspects of my life I've improved and make myself an overall better person. After Spring Break, I'm going to try and set up a meeting...like going out for coffee or something...just to get a chance to talk to her in person, and I'll go from there. The goal of it all is to win her back over. If it doesn't work, then I've set myself up to go right back out into the single world. If it does, then I'm happy and I'm still a better person overall.

The goal is to make yourself a better person for yourself, not to win her back over. Blake I'm gonna be honest, to me it looks like you are setting yourself up for a serious heartbreak. Its like you are pushing it off and think it wont happen if A and B and C are followed through. "The one who got away" is the one who left you, and keeps insisting on this quasi-single appearance and attitude. You are better than that. If she wants to go, let her go. Dont feel bad because you messed around with some skank, thats what happens when you first break up with someone.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 12:45 AM)

Unless one of them secretly likes the girl, there isn't really a problem. The only issue I can see being a problem is what happens if you break up. If I'm one of the roommates, I don't want to get stuck paying extra rent if one of you moves out.