Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
Ted Williams was one of, if not the, best hitters in the history of the game. Speed on the basepaths can be forgiven if you are hitting .400.

This whole argument is silly. The DH has been neglected, we all recognize that. There is still room for improvement and the will to do it by the general manager. Thome wasnt going to make this team an instant contender for the title, his production and health has been suspect within his own standards the past couple of years. he can still get hot and hit bombs all over the place for a few weeks, but he can also go on a cold streak where he strikes out 2-3 times a game for weeks at a time. We ALL b****ed about a slow lift and pull lineup for years, and when that was taken away, now we all b**** about it being gone. Thome is damn near 40 years old, his past with the team was appreciated, but it was time to go.

Turnover is part of the game

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4929220

Detroit Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski says he has made a contract offer to free agent Johnny Damon.

Dombrowski confirmed the offer in a telephone interview with The Associated Press after telling reporters in Lakeland, Fla., that the Tigers were interested in signing the outfielder.

Rumors on ESPN DET board are it's a 1yr/6m deal. Haha

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
KW obviously had been negotiating with Toronto about acquiring Rios, and it had to include Toronto eating some salary and the Sox sending viable players back, because if KW really wanted him and was willing to pay him the entire salary, why would he have risked Toronto placing him on waivers and having another team claim him?

He obviously put the claim in to block. I'm sure he liked Rios as a player and probably coveted him, but not that contract. I'm pretty sure KW was as surprised as anyone his claim was successful or unsuccessful depending upon how you look at it. The contract is burden especially if Rios continues to play as he has.

As for Konerko, it was widely thought the White Sox probably went at least a year too long with their contract, but that was after a WS win and Paulie was a hero. Losing him after that would have hurt some of the momentum they had built. Even with the 20/20 hindsight, and as much as I like to rip some of their mistakes, you can't give them a hard time about that contract.

We'll probably never know...just like we'll never be privy to how close we actually might have been to getting "stuck" with Orlando Cabrera in 2009.

I think, with all the talk last year about financial constraints and teams like the Blue Jays attempting to shed players like Rios and Wells that KW must have believed there would be at least a 75-80% chance of ending on the "wrong side" of a waiver claim, simply because of the fact that the teams with the option to place a claim before the White Sox were generally teams in a lesser position competitively and/or teams without the ability to absorb his salary.

The fact of the matter is that he had already been "struggling" (his RBI numbers were okay, but the OPS/SLG was way down) for 1 1/2 years at the time of the waiver claim...so unless you went with the "change of scenery" argument, most GM's around the league weren't going to make the gamble on Rios being the one player (at least in 2009) to put them over the top.

At the time of the acquisition, many posters were already arguing he was beyond "lost" at the plate (Walker later affirmed this) and that there wasn't a lot that could have been done to salvage the rest of the season in terms of the back of his baseball card. I also think there was the sense that last year's team wasn't going very far without a healthy Quentin...the only sort of sustained "hot" streak they had was right around the time of the Buehrle no-hitter where they very briefly pulled into a tie for 1st.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
Look, I really wanted/still want Damon to come, but if he doesn't, you know that KW is still going to look to improve/make a deal to help this team!

It still doesn't forgive entering the season with an issue like the DH looming over the team. Their were far better potential stop-gaps on the open market then Andruw Jones and Mark Kotsay.

QUOTE (Real @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 09:58 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4929220

Rumors on ESPN DET board are it's a 1yr/6m deal. Haha

Isn't this the same deal the Sox offered?

And even though the offer was "pulled", I would assume he'd still be welcome if he wanted to sign?

Edited by hogan873

More Damon Contract info (from a guy who's brother works for the Dodgers, take with a grain of salt)

Damons contract is 6 million for 1 year and 1.5 million deferred. so he will get 7.5 for 1 year

Says Damon has signed with the Tigers, will be made official MONDAY

edited: announcement date will be Monday, not today

Edited by Real

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
You've been arguing this for some time now and I just don't know how one can argue it was "obviously" a claim to block. The Organization has a very good history at bringing in players down on their luck and turning them around through coaching and opportunity. And despite the fact that the contract looks like an albatross when Rios plays at his absolute worst, he is very capable of returning his performance to a level where not only is the contract acceptable, but where it becomes club-friendly, especially considering the value his defense alone brings.

I don't find it hard to believe under these circumstances that Kenny put in the claim because he actually wanted the player. That isn't to say that he didn't think Toronto would throw in some cash in exchange for some minor league talent, but you're making it seem as if KW was completely unprepared to take on the player and the contract, which simply does not gel with his past history or that of the Organization.

It goes totally against anything the organization has stood for. Its the biggest contract in terms of cash owed in team history for a guy that was doing so well, the team that developed him, let him go for nothing.

If he was willing to eat the entire contract, Toronto was willing to give him up for nothing. He obviously wanted Toronto to eat some of the contract or take some money back. If he was willing to eat the contract, why wouldn't he have done it sooner and not risked a team below the White Sox claiming him thus killing any chance of Rios being a White Sox?

I agree he wanted Rios, but not be on the hook for the entire contract.

He didn't want to eat the entire thing. If Detroit would have claimed Rios, even if they ate the entire contract, they would have had a legit claim to sit Maggs and not have the $18 million vest. If KW claimed him and Toronto didn't give him up, KW knew Detroit would in a bind.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
Ted Williams was one of, if not the, best hitters in the history of the game. Speed on the basepaths can be forgiven if you are hitting .400.

This whole argument is silly. The DH has been neglected, we all recognize that. There is still room for improvement and the will to do it by the general manager. Thome wasnt going to make this team an instant contender for the title, his production and health has been suspect within his own standards the past couple of years. he can still get hot and hit bombs all over the place for a few weeks, but he can also go on a cold streak where he strikes out 2-3 times a game for weeks at a time. We ALL b****ed about a slow lift and pull lineup for years, and when that was taken away, now we all b**** about it being gone. Thome is damn near 40 years old, his past with the team was appreciated, but it was time to go.

1. Green text is awesome

2. Don't lump me in with the 'base-clog' complainers. I never did that, and I'm sure lots of other people didn't either.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
The bolded is really not true. They are trying him a few games there, because they see him as a solid utility man. Its possible he may move more there, but to say "they are moving" him is a pretty big stretch.

And Phegley was a mild disappointment in his first year.

There is no C in the system ready to step in, in the next year, if Flowers is gone.

That is why i can see AJ coming back to a cheaper 2 year deal if thats the case. I also mentioned that in my post. Its still early on the Rethersford experient while Phegley still has time to grow this year.

I think it's almost a lock for AJ to be back for at least 2011, I'd put that at about 95% probability. There's absolutely no way Kenny entrusts this pitching staff with Flowers next year. This isn't to say we don't make a deal for another catcher besides AJ, but I'd put AJ as the far and away favorite to be here next year

QUOTE (Real @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
More Damon Contract info (from a guy who's brother works for the Dodgers, take with a grain of salt)

Says Damon has signed with the Tigers, will be made official today

A big grain of salt, although you would think with the date, his signing would be relatively soon. I just don't understand how a guy who works for the Dodgers a team with apparently no interest in the player would have the scoop, but I'm sure its possible.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 10:43 AM)
A big grain of salt, although you would think with the date, his signing would be relatively soon. I just don't understand how a guy who works for the Dodgers a team with apparently no interest in the player would have the scoop, but I'm sure its possible.

updated my post, he says it'll be made official on Monday so we might not hear anything for a few days

quote name='Kalapse' date='Feb 19, 2010 -> 04:38 PM' post='2088647'

Then you have $67.8M committed to 10 players:

And Danks, Jenks and Quentin all due large raises in arbitration, that's another $22M, so $87.8M due to only 13 players.[/b] Add on Gonzalez's pay and you're over $93M to only 14 players and dealing with a completely decimated farm system. The only decent young player on the 40 man roster right now who's pre arb and would still be around after that deal would be Gordon Beckham, that's 15 players.

If the Sox have around 90 million committed to only 15 players, that is when KW gets creative and starts wheeling and dealing. For instance- trade Jenks for 2 to 3 pieces etc. . I would hate to not look into this guy come the trade deadline. He's a beast and he would be an all-star for us for many many years. Its an interesting thought to see where we are financially and where we can address certain needs though.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 07:03 AM)
You would think so, but that wouldn't explain putting two vomit level players at DH when your offense is already below average.

Again, you're ignoring the basic concept of operating within a budget.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 06:09 PM)
Again, you're ignoring the basic concept of operating within a budget.

No, again, I'm not, so you need to get over it. If I went to the store to shop for a big birthday party and had $100. And then spent $60 on some real nice ingredients for a great cake. s*** is gonna be a Texas Red velvet cake, will be comparable to any cake any one else could make that day and birthdays are MADE on that cake, and then spent 15 dollars on some nice potato chips, some on some candles, some tomatoes, buns, mustard... and then all the sudden realize I only have $2 left for the hamburger meat! s***! You don't say, "wellp, I was working on a budget, NBD" and have it be a legitimate excuse. And it turns out, a 10 lb package of ground chuck was on sale for $5. But hey, you were working on a budget, nothin you can do.

Hey, sorry Insurance company, I'm workin on a budget and I spent the $30 on body shots last night, but it's okay man, I'm on a budget, you don't understand, you're operating in a video game mr. insurance man, if my budget was 500 and i spent it on other things, you have no right to claim that I owe you that money, mr. fantasyland.

QUOTE (Real @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
I think it's almost a lock for AJ to be back for at least 2011, I'd put that at about 95% probability. There's absolutely no way Kenny entrusts this pitching staff with Flowers next year. This isn't to say we don't make a deal for another catcher besides AJ, but I'd put AJ as the far and away favorite to be here next year

Maybe they sign AJ to be Flowers caddy, but next year if it's not sink or swim with him, he should be traded. Flowers isn't some spring chicken. He will likely have had a full year at AAA and by spring training next year he's 25 years old. I would be shocked if AJ is back next year and Flowers is back in AAA.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
No, again, I'm not, so you need to get over it. If I went to the store to shop for a big birthday party and had $100. And then spent $60 on some real nice ingredients for a great cake. s*** is gonna be a Texas Red velvet cake, will be comparable to any cake any one else could make that day and birthdays are MADE on that cake, and then spent 15 dollars on some nice potato chips, some on some candles, some tomatoes, buns, mustard... and then all the sudden realize I only have $2 left for the hamburger meat! s***! You don't say, "wellp, I was working on a budget, NBD" and have it be a legitimate excuse. And it turns out, a 10 lb package of ground chuck was on sale for $5. But hey, you were working on a budget, nothin you can do.

Hey, sorry Insurance company, I'm workin on a budget and I spent the $30 on body shots last night, but it's okay man, I'm on a budget, you don't understand, you're operating in a video game mr. insurance man, if my budget was 500 and i spent it on other things, you have no right to claim that I owe you that money, mr. fantasyland.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 09:49 AM)

For future reference, stooping to Jon Stewart's level doesn't help your argument.

The vast majority of teams have a couple of holes in their lineup, and the Sox are no different. A lot of fans would love to have Floyd/Danks as their #3/#4 startes, Thornton as their setup man, and somebody as talented as Rios in CF... even if that means Teahen at 3B and a question mark at DH. Then again, most of those teams don't have a ridiculously-good starting rotation. Very few teams can round out their lineup with high-priced players like Damon and Matsui. If you can't handle the fact that the Sox can't buy their way into the playoffs every year via free agency, maybe you need to become a Yankees fan or something.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
That's an interesting retort... and pretty much par for the course from somebody who can't intelligently defend his position.

If you can't handle the fact that the Sox can't buy their way into the playoffs every year via free agency, maybe you need to become a Yankees fan or something.

I don't think the point could've gone further over your head.

So let me be blunt: I know we are on a budget. I'm not asking that we don't work on a budget. I'm asking that we spend our resources more wisely, so that we can fill a position that is typically cheap, while still offensively productive.

The analogy, of course, is saying that you are looking at the very end point, and crying budget. And refusing criticism because you are only looking at this point. I don't like the position we are in, and I'm complaining about the position and how we got here.