Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)

Good call Canadians. This looks dumb today, and will look even dumber when Russia beats you in the quarterfinals for the 2nd straight Olympics and you don't medal for the 2nd straight Olympics.

What's so bad about this commercial?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
What's so bad about this commercial?

Canada's sense of entitlement about hockey is funny to me. Yes, they did invent the sport, but 13 of the last 14 Olympic gold medals in men's ice hockey went to somebody other than them. Yet they thought the gold medal was a given for them this year, and are shocked at the struggles they are having.

but 13 of the last 14 Olympic gold medals in men's ice hockey went to somebody other than them.

And how many of those had NHL professionals?

I believe 1998, was the first that allowed NHL professionals.

That means that there have been Olympics in 1998, 2002 and 2006 that actually had the BEST Canadian players. I doubt that there is a Miracle On Ice in 1980 if the Canadian team was allowed to field a team with Wayne Gretzky.

Even if we completely disregard the fact that Canada played without its best players for the majority of the Soviet run (9 straight medals, 7 of them gold), they still have won 1 of the last 3 gold medals and have the best players in the world.

It would be like arguing that the US doesnt have the best basketball team, because they didnt win every medal.

The Canadian team is the best team, thats not a sense of entitlement that is a fact. Anything less than gold is going to be a disappointment for them, so what commercial should they have made?

Buy Coke and go for the Bronze!

Im sure Coke has a few different variations of the same commercial for different sports in different countries. People like winners, Coke is associating itself with winning.

Even stranger about your comments, Coke is an American brand. It's just about money. I thought it was a good commercial, especially since it probably is being played in Canada exclusively, and Hockey is their #1 sport.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
It would be like arguing that the US doesnt have the best basketball team, because they didnt win every medal.

I don't care about this argument, but no one in hockey has matched the dominance of USA basketball.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
The Canadian team is the best team, thats not a sense of entitlement that is a fact.

As a country, Canada may indeed have the most talented players compared to other nations, and their Olympic squad may have the most talent at these games, but whether they have the best team has yet to be decided, and is far from a matter of absolute fact.

I will regard the best team at the Olympics as the one that actually wins the tournament. Gold medals are won on the ice, not on roster sheets.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
If John Shuster wasn't such a suckfest, there would be more to talk about, but he blew any chance they had for a medal. It was good to see the kid nail the winner vs. Sweden on Saturday. As for the women's curling, I think the Danish team has been the easiest on the eyes so far.

Oh, and big props to our guy Eddie Olczyk for the quote of the Games last night. "This game has been tremendously tremendous!" :lolhitting

This whole Shuster thing is hilarious to me...

We have this guy named Tim Schuster ar work that goes by "Schuster." He is sort of a lazy bum/social butterfly but we all like having him around because he has the best stories. Anyways, as soon as we saw this John Shuster character, we started referring to him as Tim Schuster's long-lost son. Obviously, as you can imagine, with the struggles of this guy, we have turned this into a joke of epic proportions at work.

I am going to be sad now that Shuster will shrink back into complete anonymity.

Ill disagree, the best player or team doesnt always win.

May have been the best on a single day, but that doesnt make you the overall best.

I guess you can disagree, but if China won the gold medal, I wouldnt consider them the best team.

Canada had the best team coming into the Olympics, gold medal is an expectation.

That means that there have been Olympics in 1998, 2002 and 2006 that actually had the BEST Canadian players. I doubt that there is a Miracle On Ice in 1980 if the Canadian team was allowed to field a team with Wayne Gretzky.

Maybe there wouldnt been a Miracle on Ice but the best team in the early 80s in the world was still that Soviet team. In 1981 that Soviet team beat Canada in the Canada Cup 8-1. And that Canadian team had Gretzky, Bourque, Bossy,Trottier,Lafleur and 5 OTHER HOF'ers!

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
As a country, Canada may indeed have the most talented players compared to other nations, and their Olympic squad may have the most talent at these games, but whether they have the best team has yet to be decided, and is far from a matter of absolute fact.

I will regard the best team at the Olympics as the one that actually wins the tournament. Gold medals are won on the ice, not on roster sheets.

Single elimination tournaments are a terrible way to determine team quality in any sport.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
Ill disagree, the best player or team doesnt always win.

May have been the best on a single day, but that doesnt make you the overall best.

I guess you can disagree, but if China won the gold medal, I wouldnt consider them the best team.

Canada had the best team coming into the Olympics, gold medal is an expectation.

I know what you're saying, but "best" is subjective--gold medals are not. If China won, they would deserve to be regarded as the team that played "the best" in the Olympic tournament, regardless of whether it lasted one day or two weeks. Whether they would be the "best" as judged by other factors, or over a different period of time, is academic and for the losers to debate. Besides, its cliche that the best TEAM is not always the most talented. There are many other factors at work in team sport.

I agree that Canada is by far the most talented team. But their squeaker win against the Swiss and their loss to the US suggests that the ability to overcome pressure and expectations--another hallmark of great teams--may be somewhat lacking, at least thus far.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
Um, how is it not?

Canada lost to the U.S., yet they still have a chance to win the gold medal. By definition, in a "single elimination" tournament, they would have been eliminated by that single loss.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=60725

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
Canada lost to the U.S., yet they still have a chance to win the gold medal. By definition, in a "single elimination" tournament, they would have been eliminated by that single loss.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=60725

But all round robin determines is seed. It'd be different if it was World Cup style and only 'X' amount of teams advanced but that just isn't so. It is now a single-elim tournament. Latvia, which has zero points so far, theoretically has as much chance as anyone to win a medal. That is what to me makes this a single elmination tournament.