Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 08:31 PM)
That's bizarre. It's dumb to post such things when you have aspirations that Rex clearly had, but definitely good for them at the same time.

Wait.....pedicure....Steve....Rex Ryan.....good for them.....

It all adds up.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
Jokes aside, and I'm sure many Bears fans are happy to see Favre go, making fun of or hoping for a person to get/become physically injured is never...funny.

This is exactly what I'm talking about with Bears fans acting their finest. It's not enough that they beat Favre the majority of the end of his career, it's not enough that they beat Favre 40-14 yesterday...it's picking this as their favorite moment, or wishing injury upon him that makes me dislike Bears fans. Those other things should be enough...but they aren't. I despise that mentality in sports.

It embodies everything we learned to NOT do in sports as kids...and doing it as an adult...and laughing about it.

This is not a unique behavior for Bears fans, this is sports fans in general. You should come to Baltimore during Steelers week sometime and hear some of the s*** that comes out the mouths of Ravens fans, Bears fans are actually pretty tame compared to these guys.

Despite the beatings he has taken from the Bears of late (Bears are 9-3 against Favre's teams the last six seasons) Favre is 23-13 against the Bears in his career, including a 10 year period where he was 18-2 against Chicago....of course Bears fans hate the guy. Couple that with his douchey attention mongering behavior the last 5 years along with most of the media fighting each other to see who can get on their knees in front of the guy first and its easy to see where the hate comes from. At this point most NFL fans, not just Bears fans, just want this guy to go away, he's very annoying. Bears fans just have a particular hate for him because of all the ass whippings he has given us over the years.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
When Cutler wins a single playoff game in the NFL, he will start getting more respect from these types -- and not until. I love Cutler, he plays hard and takes risks, and he's fun to watch because of these things...but in the NFL, he's proven absolutely nothing yet, to pretend or to say otherwise is false.

This has always been my problem with Bears fans and their general arrogance that they get from who knows where. They're so easy to dislike because they have that "Cub" like mentality that they're the most awesomeist thing ever when in fact, they aren't. They want praise for everything their team does, but don't like to give praise to anyone else. When they win on a fluke play, it's part of the game, when they lose, it's not because the other team beat them, it's because they didn't show up, or some other such nonsense.

I don't apply this mentality to all Bears fans, either...but there are the many, as I like to put it, 'Da Bers" fans...and this is directed at you if you're amongst them.

OK, who's smarter...one thousand Y2HHs or a comatose Ditka?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 01:09 PM)
Steve Young isn't objective? He's blindly hates Jay Cutler? Okay, I really want to hear your evidence for such claims. Steve Young didn't even blast the guy last night, or come close. Take off the goggles Bears fans, he was being objective about your QB.

He simply stated, Jay has the ability to make all the throws, can get it in the tightest of spaces and can become great. But in order for him to enter that elite realm, he needs to watch his footwork and develop consistentcy with solid mechanics. Until then, he's always going to be where he's at. He even said, "Don't take it from me, watch the great QB's. Look at guys like Tom Brady and his footwork" and he named some others. Are you telling me, you don't want Jay to be great or elite? Because he's not either right now. And I doubt he's going to lead the Bears to the SuperBowl. Heck, I think they'll lose their first game in the playoffs.

And Trent, though a little more strong about it, said basically the same thing. He even went on to say, he has a great ability to throw through any conditions, that's how great of an athlete is, then continued to break down video of what Steve Young was stating. He even goes on to say that Jay had better tools than him and he wishes he had Jay's abilities.

So please, stop saying anyone who gives valid criticism of the Bears is an idiot, because it makes you as fans look idiotic.

No, he's not objective.

He's had a hard-on about the acquisition and the Bears since it happened. He has been unduly harsh when commenting on the Bears, as if they are continuously the favorite that doesn't deliver.

I have absolutely no problem with criticism of Cutler, the defense, whatever. I certainly realize this team is not perfect, nor is it elite. I see the problems on the offensive line, with the running game, with the defense when no pressure is applied to the quarterback. Young, Dilfer, Cowherd, whomever, can criticize those things all they want. All I want is for them to point out the good things the Bears have done or the good things they do in equal fashion. But they don't. They'll quickly gloss over the fact that the Bears generally play good defense and that they have been running the ball better lately, but very rarely will they actually doing, BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WATCH THE ENTIRE GAMES. They just see what they see when they're in studio or watching games on Sunday or when they watch the Bears when they are on prime time television. But they do not watch the games even as much as I do, and so damn right I see inaccuracies in their criticisms.

But I digress.

All one needs to do is read and watch the "objective" commentary about the Green Bay Packers and compare it with that of the Chicago Bears "objective commentary," and one would certainly believe the Packers are the team sitting at 10-4 right now.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
When Cutler wins a single playoff game in the NFL, he will start getting more respect from these types -- and not until. I love Cutler, he plays hard and takes risks, and he's fun to watch because of these things...but in the NFL, he's proven absolutely nothing yet, to pretend or to say otherwise is false.

This has always been my problem with Bears fans and their general arrogance that they get from who knows where. They're so easy to dislike because they have that "Cub" like mentality that they're the most awesomeist thing ever when in fact, they aren't. They want praise for everything their team does, but don't like to give praise to anyone else. When they win on a fluke play, it's part of the game, when they lose, it's not because the other team beat them, it's because they didn't show up, or some other such nonsense.

I don't apply this mentality to all Bears fans, either...but there are the many, as I like to put it, 'Da Bers" fans...and this is directed at you if you're amongst them.

This is not a "Cub" mentality. It's a Chicago mentality, and it occurs any time you have a huge population of sports fans supporting one team. We don't get the full effect in baseball because we obviously have two teams. But compare this to any team that travels particularly well or who has a very big fanbase, and you'll get the exact same thing. Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Steelers and Bears are all very good examples.

I like Simmins podcast and all but him and Lombardi on the latest and even in past ones this year just undermining the Bears gets annoying.

I don't think the Bears will get to the Super Bowl but they rip the O line, even though anyone who watches knows it has gotten better, than say the same about Philly and the Giant while proclaiming them condensers to beat Atlanta.

Also say the Bears are the weakest NFC team that will be in playoffs. Really? Weaker than the west winner? I think the Bears would destroy Seattle if they played them now.

Just seems nobody wants to recognize the Bears adjustments and improvements and just want to judge on Pats game.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
I like Simmins podcast and all but him and Lombardi on the latest and even in past ones this year just undermining the Bears gets annoying.

I don't think the Bears will get to the Super Bowl but they rip the O line, even though anyone who watches knows it has gotten better, than say the same about Philly and the Giant while proclaiming them condensers to beat Atlanta.

Also say the Bears are the weakest NFC team that will be in playoffs. Really? Weaker than the west winner? I think the Bears would destroy Seattle if they played them now.

Just seems nobody wants to recognize the Bears adjustments and improvements and just want to judge on Pats game.

Listen. Their points on the Bears' offensive line were all dead accurate. It is complete garbage. They have adjusted well-enough to pull out victories, yes, but the Bears have had a lot of luck fall their way this season, be that with non-touchdowns vs the Lions or facing 3 non-starting QBs and getting half of the last game without Favre.

Yes. The Bears looked surprisingly awesome against the Eagles, but that Patriots defeat was about as convincing a defeat as you will ever see on our home turf.

Don't let national pundits get to you... that Pats loss was huge and stuck out like a sore thumb.

Hopefully the Bears continue to improve, but their line is still really, really bad.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
Listen. Their points on the Bears' offensive line were all dead accurate. It is complete garbage. They have adjusted well-enough to pull out victories, yes, but the Bears have had a lot of luck fall their way this season, be that with non-touchdowns vs the Lions or facing 3 non-starting QBs and getting half of the last game without Favre.

Yes. The Bears looked surprisingly awesome against the Eagles, but that Patriots defeat was about as convincing a defeat as you will ever see on our home turf.

Don't let national pundits get to you... that Pats loss was huge and stuck out like a sore thumb.

Hopefully the Bears continue to improve, but their line is still really, really bad.

Yeah but the only teams that really made the Bears look bad were the Pats and the Giants. The Giants were playing great ball at the beginning of the season as well. I think the Bears can beat any team in the NFC. Whether or not they will is another question.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
Yeah but the only teams that really made the Bears look bad were the Pats and the Giants. The Giants were playing great ball at the beginning of the season as well. I think the Bears can beat any team in the NFC. Whether or not they will is another question.

The Giants were 1-2 entering that game with huge losses to the Colts (38-14) and Titans (29-10).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
The NE slobber-fest on ESPN and CBS really makes them see too low on that list.

I think there you've got to consider market saturation. Yeah, the guys in CT love them and that helps, but there's also the Celtics and Red Sox up there as legitimate challengers to them, and on top of that, if you ask the question "How many teams are there in the New England area", some portion of their market area genuinely falls into upstate NY and winds up Giants/Jets/Bills fans.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
I find it very hard to believe that the Bengals are more popular than the Browns.

It's true, definately over the past several years. Ohio State football is more popular than both which is the funny part. Alot of the northern Ohioans near Toldeo etc are actually Lions fans, while most cities south of Columbus are Bengals fans.