Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

knightni

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jan 16, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
Bad Challenge by BB. Patriots are off their game today. . . so far.

That was only a bad challenge because there was no camera angle. It could well have hit the ground, I don't think anyone could tell. The Jets did a great job of rushing him though.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 16, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
Would make the playoffs much more interesting if Jets hold on. I think the Bears or Pack could beat either NY or Pitt

The Pack could certainly beat NE. They nearly beat them with Matt Flynn.

The worst possible matchup for the Bears in the playoffs is still the Patriots, so anything that gets rid of them dramatically improves the Bears' chances.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)
The worst possible matchup for the Bears in the playoffs is still the Patriots, so anything that gets rid of them dramatically improves the Bears' chances.

I don't think the Steelers are that far behind.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 16, 2011 -> 06:07 PM)

I would say that's a tough matchup, but at this stage there shouldn't be an easy matchup left.

The reason why I say the Pats are such an awful matchup for the Bears is that the Bears' D is predicated on giving teams the short passing game, but making deep passes impossible, making run after the catch difficult, making running the ball difficult, and forcing a turnover or a bunch of punts because you can't keep competing short passes.

The Patriots offense is predicated on killing you with the short passing game. If you can't slow that down for the Pats, they will destroy you. The Jets are having success today because their CB's are denying Welker and Branch the ball in the short passing game on the corners and because they're splitting up their safeties, with only one man deep but the other man shallow covering the area over the middle. That's the exact opposite of what the Bears want to do.

The Steelers can run the ball and beat you up on defense...but they also rely on the deep passing game, esp. when Ben breaks tackles and the defense opens up. The Bears can win a game against that strategy. That doesn't mean they will, but they can.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 16, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)

I actually think we match up alright with the Steelers as far as our defense vs. their offense. It would be a low-scoring game, for sure, but one I think we could win. What we could never do is out-shoot the Pats, or really stop their offense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2011 -> 05:20 PM)
I would say that's a tough matchup, but at this stage there shouldn't be an easy matchup left.

The reason why I say the Pats are such an awful matchup for the Bears is that the Bears' D is predicated on giving teams the short passing game, but making deep passes impossible, making run after the catch difficult, making running the ball difficult, and forcing a turnover or a bunch of punts because you can't keep competing short passes.

The Patriots offense is predicated on killing you with the short passing game. If you can't slow that down for the Pats, they will destroy you. The Jets are having success today because their CB's are denying Welker and Branch the ball in the short passing game on the corners and because they're splitting up their safeties, with only one man deep but the other man shallow covering the area over the middle. That's the exact opposite of what the Bears want to do.

The Steelers can run the ball and beat you up on defense...but they also rely on the deep passing game, esp. when Ben breaks tackles and the defense opens up. The Bears can win a game against that strategy. That doesn't mean they will, but they can.

I think your analysis is pretty spot on here.

I will take my chances against Big Ben and the Steelers run game than Brady and his slants over the middle and bubble screens.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 16, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
How would Sunday's NFC Championship game been different if Lovie hadn't called the time out that stalled the Bears' drive in the loss to GB in week 17? It's like The Butterfly Effect.

You're suggesting that Ashton Kutcher would not have a terrible movie coming out the day before the NFC Championship? Weird.