Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

knightni

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
I have an urge to start dragging up posts about how awful this team is and how they're going 4-12, but I'll decline.

I'll admit I was wrong about them. I admitted that after seeing them last week. It was very evident to me last week that both sides of the ball were much improved from a season ago, and the offense was going to be as good as it has ever been here in Chicago.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
I don't think it's possible to play better than Cutler did today. Big credit to Martz for adjusting to the first two possessions.

That first TD drive was a thing of beauty, the Cowboys looked so damn lost.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
I don't think it's possible to play better than Cutler did today. Big credit to Martz for adjusting to the first two possessions.

I think you can see some of the mechanical things that Martz has fixed with Cutler as well. I only saw Jay throw one fade-a-way. He did a lot better job of evading the blitz within the pocket and firing the ball from a good base.

I am ecstatic with the play from Cutler today. He played like an elite QB today.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
Is this line better without Chris Williams? Kevin Shaffer looks good at RT.

Yes. They looked a ton better without Chris Williams.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
That was the absolute right call. Bears took up about 2 minutes on those 3 runs and the Cowboys now have 2 minutes to score 10 pts. Going to take a lot things going the right way to get them.

Yes it was. Text book running out the clock and burning TO's.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
The issue is that we can't run the ball. There is no hope of running the clock out. What you're doing is saying we are willing to trade 2 minutes coming off the clock for possession of the ball. I'd rather use safe passes and at least have some hope of making a first down. The reward by far outweighs the small risk in my opinion, considering the odds of making a first down on the ground are about 10 %.

That is running out the clock. You waste two minutes and they waste a few timeouts. They need two scores and there's not much time left. That's how you do it.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
That is running out the clock. You waste two minutes and they waste a few timeouts. They need two scores and there's not much time left. That's how you do it.

Sorry, but running the clock out is actually running some sizeable chunk of the clock off, not running the ball for no gain three times and taking the minimal amount of time off the clock without it stopping.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
Sorry, but running the clock out is actually running some sizeable chunk of the clock off, not running the ball for no gain three times and taking the minimal amount of time off the clock without it stopping.

That might be conservative, but it's a 2-possession game for Dallas so you can do that.

It really hurts that Chris Williams, who was for all intents and purposes the right pick at the time, is looking like a bust now. When you leave the game due to injury and you are replaced by FRANK GOD DAMN MOTHERf***ING OMIYALE and there is no dropoff in play that's a searing indictment against you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
I have an urge to start dragging up posts about how awful this team is and how they're going 4-12, but I'll decline.

They still can be 4-12, 5-11, 6-10.

This game is no definitive proof of anything.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
That might be conservative, but it's a 2-possession game for Dallas so you can do that.

Yeah, I get that. About 7 people have pointed that out. All I'm trying to point out is that I think there are some plays in the passing game that are every bit as safe but far more likely to actually achieve a first down and be able to actually take some significant time off the clock rather than just give the ball back to them two minutes later.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
It really hurts that Chris Williams, who was for all intents and purposes the right pick at the time, is looking like a bust now. When you leave the game due to injury and you are replaced by FRANK GOD DAMN MOTHERf***ING OMIYALE and there is no dropoff in play that's a searing indictment against you.

The OL play actually got significantly better after Williams went out. Granted Martz's adjustments had a lot to do with it but Williams has been awful so far this year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 08:49 PM)
The OL play actually got significantly better after Williams went out. Granted Martz's adjustments had a lot to do with it but Williams has been awful so far this year.

I've actually been incredibly pleased with martz. 1) He has not given up on the run. I think a lot of people overdramatized the amt. of pass attempts he was throwing in Detroit because they missed the fact that they were down. a lot.

And, he's smart enough to know how to make adjustments. ANd also, holy cripes, we can run a screen play! WHOOOWWWWW

All things considered we saw how the improvement in our coordinators can lead to wins. Just an excellent job by martz and tice today.

I think now we are also seeing that we have a pretty damn good LB core.

Lastly, that was great. Good job DJ Moore!

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
oh really, 4 turnovers wasn't a big problem?

That was a big problem, but the predictive playcalling on that drive was a bigger one and the end reason on why they lost the game. They literally ran the ball 6 straight times, no variety either. Balta would've been livid. Favre just looks old nowadays.