Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

knightni

QUOTE (lord chas @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)
ok bear fans how do you plan on stopping the beast that is clay matthews?

I don't know, but Tice and Martz better figure that s*** out. They did a damn good job today of adjusting to Ware and Spencer. Biggest factor in the game next week will be turnover differential.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)
They look bomb-ass right now. Today we got the Jay Cutler we all thought we were getting.

Martz = creative. I like.

F*cking hester even looked legit today!

I don't see it. Hester turned something into a nice play. But he also dropped what a good receiver would make as a TD catch (long pass down the sideline on a perfectly thrown ball by Cutler). Was it an easy catch, no, but catchable, absolutely. On top of that on the following play Martz called for a screen where Hester was in a position to block. Hester puts on a block and it might very well be a touchdown and most defnitely was a first down. Instead Hester completely whiffed on the block.

He made some catches, but I still think he's best utilized as a slot receiver.

Oh and don't get me started on what a terrible return-man Devin has become.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
You know that's not going to happen. I don't think the Bills are going to win 3 games...1 or 2 seems about right with the direction of the offense.

The good news is that the Bills will have zero excuses for not having a young QB to start next year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:33 AM)
I don't see it. Hester turned something into a nice play. But he also dropped what a good receiver would make as a TD catch (long pass down the sideline on a perfectly thrown ball by Cutler). Was it an easy catch, no, but catchable, absolutely. On top of that on the following play Martz called for a screen where Hester was in a position to block. Hester puts on a block and it might very well be a touchdown and most defnitely was a first down. Instead Hester completely whiffed on the block.

He made some catches, but I still think he's best utilized as a slot receiver.

Oh and don't get me started on what a terrible return-man Devin has become.

Despite that catch, Hester seems like he is still out of place. I think Devin could be an elite slot receiver, but I want my starting WR to do more: block in the run game, make plays in coverage, and have reliable hands.

Still, for 2 plays on Sunday Devin did great things.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 07:00 AM)
Despite that catch, Hester seems like he is still out of place. I think Devin could be an elite slot receiver, but I want my starting WR to do more: block in the run game, make plays in coverage, and have reliable hands.

Still, for 2 plays on Sunday Devin did great things.

Bennett is a guy who quietly have a good game. He made some nice catches and did a tremendous job blocking.

If the Packers want to get a pass rush they will, the question is will they have enough film on the Bears hot reads to handle that inevitable adjustment? Or, if the Pack come in expecting the hot reads and give Cutler a few 7 step drops can the Bears make them pay for it?

I really think Aroshamadu is going to come out big on Monday too, this is based entirely off nothing but my gut.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
Was Aromashadu hurt?

He was slightly banged up from the week before, but he said he figured he would be used less this week. Which is weird. WTF would he figure that?? I'm guessing the real deal was he is hurt and they just don't want anyone to know where. He is way ahead of Hester and should be starting oppo Knox. Hester should be exactly what Martz pegged him as when he first arrived, Az-Hakim.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
I have an urge to start dragging up posts about how awful this team is and how they're going 4-12, but I'll decline.

I was one of them. Based on what I saw in the pre-season, this was a DREADFUL team.

But I said last week that the Detroit game changed my opinion a bit

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
I was one of them. Based on what I saw in the pre-season, this was a DREADFUL team.

But I said last week that the Detroit game changed my opinion a bit

They can still suck, I'm not a believer yet. The defense looks solid enough, but we still have 0 run game and 0 offensive line, which is not a good thing and not easily improved.

I see a team that barely beat one of the worst teams ever week 1 and a team that lucked into 2 INT's and a horribly overrated Cowboys team.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
They can still suck, I'm not a believer yet. The defense looks solid enough, but we still have 0 run game and 0 offensive line, which is not a good thing and not easily improved.

I see a team that barely beat one of the worst teams ever week 1 and a team that lucked into 2 INT's and a horribly overrated Cowboys team.

How did they "luck" into INT's? Dont you have to be in position, to have coverage, to rush the QB? There are alot of factors into forcing an INT.

The run game may be somewhat suspect, but then again, short passes to your RB are running plays in the Martz system. Forte has been very good. We also have a ridiculous passing attack right now with emphasis on spreading the ball around to WR's TE's and RB's. The Bears are hard to defend even with swiss cheese as the O-line.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
How did they "luck" into INT's? Dont you have to be in position, to have coverage, to rush the QB? There are alot of factors into forcing an INT.

The run game may be somewhat suspect, but then again, short passes to your RB are running plays in the Martz system. Forte has been very good. We also have a ridiculous passing attack right now with emphasis on spreading the ball around to WR's TE's and RB's. The Bears are hard to defend even with swiss cheese as the O-line.

I thought Martz switching to quick "dump" passes to compensate for the horrible o-line was an absolute stroke of genius. He knew their rushers were leaving huge holes and took advantage of that. In the past, this adjustment wouldn't have been made until after half time, and by then Cutler woudl have been in an ambulance.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 10:25 AM)
I thought Martz switching to quick "dump" passes to compensate for the horrible o-line was an absolute stroke of genius. He knew their rushers were leaving huge holes and took advantage of that. In the past, this adjustment wouldnt ave been made until after half time, and by then Cutler woudl have been in an ambulance.

Nonononono, Turner would have switched to a much better run up the middle philosophy

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 10:25 AM)
I thought Martz switching to quick "dump" passes to compensate for the horrible o-line was an absolute stroke of genius. He knew their rushers were leaving huge holes and took advantage of that. In the past, this adjustment wouldnt ave been made until after half time, and by then Cutler woudl have been in an ambulance.

I'm not sure they would have made an adjustment in previous years. Like the rest of Bears fans, I was ready to pack it in after seeing Cutler almost killed a few times. I was screaming for them to put him in the shotgun to give him some time. The quick slants and the TE over the middle was a brilliant adjustment, but dont overlook Cutler's pre-snap reads on those plays. He has to read blitz, know where its coming from, and then unload to that spot for those plays to happen. It was great all around and changed the entire game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 11:22 AM)
That's a strategy that ought to open up the running game though.

In theory, yes. What feels encouraging is that it seems like we have a guy ("Martz") who will exploit whatever defenses want to expose. And we have a guy in Cutler who can make teams pay for getting over aggressive. I am legitimately worried that this OL might get Cutler hurt and I think we still need more consistent play from our WR core, but I am cannot help but be optimistic.

From all indications, the marriage of Cutler and Martz could be a great one. Then if/when the front office can build a competent offensive line this offense could get scary.