Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 01:25 AM)
When he portrays real life people i tend to find him at his best in a way... up to this point oldman has portrayed joe orton, lee harvey oswald, sid vicious, ludwig van beethoven. Beethoven being his finest in my opinion. It's one thing to portray a random fictional character, but it's something entirely else to become one with who you are imitating. Nevertheless, that is another subject in it's own right.

Some of his non biopics that i am fond of would be the following...

Jackie flannery... state of grace.

Stansfield in léon.

Drexl spivey... true romance, only one scene, yet memorable.

Mason verger... hannibal

Rosencrantz & guildenstern are dead... i seriously love that opening scene kalapse.

Interstate 60 as i just stated earlier.

Beat the devil... and he just so happens to be the devil. Beat the devil is just a short for those who care. Though talk about a weird little cast?

===============================================================================

Dracula as dracula... and he/the movie have been bagged on for a reason beyond me. Apparently no one remembers any

of the hammer film productions dracula films. Even the great christopher lee had some less than memorable appearances as dracula. Trust me, this is me being nice. If i had to put in order the best portrayals of dracula it would be lugosi's 1931 dracula, christopher lee's 1958 horror of dracula, and then oldman's 1992 dracula.

The funny thing is though, wizard magazine does not agree. They believe the best depiction is from the monster squad.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093560/trivia?tr0965917

==============================================================================

Dislike? I hate his zorg. Just look at the silly bastard.

I feel like caulfield, no real tangents, but i just feel dirty for some reason.

A couple of things:

-He was great in his little role in True Romance

-I agree about his Dracula role

-Even though the movie is only great because of how over-the-top it is, he's great in Air Force One

-Holy s***, I didn't even realize that was him in Hannibal

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 09:58 AM)
What does the list entail? Movies you've watched over winter break so far? Is this a ranking of them or just a list?

How did you like Caddyshack? That's one of the funniest movies ever in my book.

Just the movies I've watched so far during Winter Break. No ranking, just the order I watched them in.

And I enjoyed Caddyshack a lot. I love the contrast in Chevy Chase's subtle humor with the outlandish Rodney Dangerfield. And Bill Murray is amazing.

Also thinking about going to see True Grit today.

QUOTE (onedude @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
What do you think about Gary's role as the commisioner in Batman Begins/ The Dark Knight?

It's nothing Earth shattering, but it's one of the best casting jobs I've ever seen. He's the perfect Commissioner Gordon.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)
Just the movies I've watched so far during Winter Break. No ranking, just the order I watched them in.

And I enjoyed Caddyshack a lot. I love the contrast in Chevy Chase's subtle humor with the outlandish Rodney Dangerfield. And Bill Murray is amazing.

Also thinking about going to see True Grit today.

The scene where Bill Murray goes to talk to Chevy Chase at his house is the first time those two had actually talked to each other after their very publicized backstage fight on the set of SNL. They hadnt talked to each other leading up to the scene and never rehearsed it, it was all ad libbed. if you watch the scene knowing that, it is very good

I think Winter's Bone and True Grit (from everything I've read) both deserve acting nominations for their youngish heroines.

When you watch Winter's Bone, you might as well be watching The Road or Book of Eli, but the characters in that story are incredibly vivid. They really stay with you...as opposed to movies like Red, for example.

Monsters=Thumbs up, not as great as some have written, but definitely made the wise choice of not overposing the "creatures" until closer to the end...but nothing like Signs in terms of a hokey/outlandish ending

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
True Grit was great. The girl should seriously get nominated. She carries the first 30 mins.

Agreed. The movie was great. So simple, yet so perfectly executed. And a lot funnier than you'd expect.

With 127 Hours, The Fighter and True Grit, I'm 3-3 in my last theater visits.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
Agreed. The movie was great. So simple, yet so perfectly executed. And a lot funnier than you'd expect.

With 127 Hours, The Fighter and True Grit, I'm 3-3 in my last theater visits.

I am itching to see all those. Will probably see Gullivers Travels though. I will regret that decision but during Christmas I like to see movies that are a little less serious.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
Well, I had some doubts, but the updated version of True Grit was better than the original.

I haven't seen it yet (and I can't wait to) but it is usually hard for me to say that a remake is better than the original when there is this much time between the original and remake. True Grit was one of my favorite older movies. You think they will remake the sequel "Rooster Cogburn" as well?

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)
I haven't seen it yet (and I can't wait to) but it is usually hard for me to say that a remake is better than the original when there is this much time between the original and remake. True Grit was one of my favorite older movies. You think they will remake the sequel "Rooster Cogburn" as well?

If by "they" you mean the Coen Brothers, then no, they have never done any sequels and I doubt they start now with a story that isn't their own.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
Going to see Black Swan this weekend. Looking forward to it. I've yet to be disappointed by Aranofsky.

You honestly liked THE FOUNTAIN?

It was ambitious, I'll give him that....and very "interesting" to watch in some parts, but I'd be hard pressed to say it wasn't disappointing on many levels.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
You honestly liked THE FOUNTAIN?

It was ambitious, I'll give him that....and very "interesting" to watch in some parts, but I'd be hard pressed to say it wasn't disappointing on many levels.

It's his only film that I haven't seen to be honest.