White Sox Jerseys.

justBLAZE

I'm currently at the point where the only jersey I own is a 2006 Home Scott Podsednik with the WS patch. I'm not trying to make this a thread about how good/bad of a baseball player Scott is rather...

I would like to expand my collection to 3 jerseys, Home, Away, and Alternative.

I'm thinking white pitcher jersey not sure who to get? I'm leaning towards Buehrle.

I for sure want a black/road Gordon Beckham Jersey and a gray/alternative Carlos Quentin Jersey.

Now what are my options? Do most of you get the original "Cool BASE" jerseys that a being worn on the field? Those are in the $200 price range and a bit too pricey for me.

What's the quality of the Majestic Replica Jersey ? Does it still look exactly like the orignal jersey? They are in the $100 rage something I can afford.

Finally where do you guys get your jerseys?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
I scored a black Bo Jackson jersey with the inaugural season comiskey patch on it (Mitchell & Ness, retails for $300) for $25 recently. eBay rules.

Im always a little iffy when it comes to buying jerseys UNLESS its a classic type player ala bo jackson or more recently, Frank Thomas whom are forever etched into Sox history. I have too many bad memories of spending on an authentic ray durham jersey only to have him get traded shortly after, ugh... As far as buying a replica vs an authentic, theres a minor difference to ur everyday fan but a real stickler could easily point out the differences so I would go with the replica if it doesnt bother you that much.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
Im always a little iffy when it comes to buying jerseys UNLESS its a classic type player ala bo jackson or more recently, Frank Thomas whom are forever etched into Sox history. I have too many bad memories of spending on an authentic ray durham jersey only to have him get traded shortly after, ugh... As far as buying a replica vs an authentic, theres a minor difference to ur everyday fan but a real stickler could easily point out the differences so I would go with the replica if it doesnt bother you that much.

That's what I do. My Walter Payton jersey is forever.

Those guys who have bought authentic Devin Hester or Brian Urlacher jerseys for 300-400 bucks will be wishing that they didn't in about a year or so.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
Those guys who have bought authentic Devin Hester or Brian Urlacher jerseys for 300-400 bucks will be wishing that they didn't in about a year or so.

Urlacher? He's a borderline HOF candidate. That's a jersey you're going to be seeing around Chicago for a long time, especially if he has 1-2 more legit seasons.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
Don't get me wrong. I like Urlacher. It's just that I think that he's overhyped by quite a few Bears fans.

Stop. You're getting too caught up in his recent struggles, both on and off the field. Look at his impact as a whole, from his top notch rookie season to today. Not to mention he's highly respected around the league. Peppers even said that one of the reasons he wanted to come to the bears was to have the chance to play with someone like Urlacher. He'll go down as one of the all-time greats in Bears history.

QUOTE (IamPabloOzuna @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 06:46 PM)
Stop. You're getting too caught up in his recent struggles, both on and off the field. Look at his impact as a whole, from his top notch rookie season to today. Not to mention he's highly respected around the league. Peppers even said that one of the reasons he wanted to come to the bears was to have the chance to play with someone like Urlacher. He'll go down as one of the all-time greats in Bears history.

I'm not trying to segue this into an NFL discussion, but, did you know that he's never lead the NFL in tackles and has only been in the top 10 three times?

2009 Injured

2008 49th with 15 MLB's with more tackles.

2007 10th with 5 MLB's with more tackles.

2006 6th with 3 MLB's with more tackles.

2005 13th with 7 MLB's with more tackles.

2004 Injured

2003 22nd with 6 MLB's with more tackles.

2002 2nd with 1 MLB with more tackles.

2001 11th with 8 MLB's with more tackles.

He's a very good LB but is getting "white guy" fan attention. How has Briggs done in comparison?

Tackles

Urlacher

2009 3

2008 79

2007 92

2006 92

2005 97

2004 52

2003 87

2002 115

2001 89

Briggs

2009 93

2008 90

2007 83

2006 109

2005 83

2004 102

2003 65

Looks to me to be pretty even. Why are there no "Briggs to the Hall" articles?

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
I'm not trying to segue this into an NFL discussion, but, did you know that he's never lead the NFL in tackles and has only been in the top 10 three times?

2009 Injured

2004 Injured

He's a very good LB but is getting "white guy" fan attention. How has Briggs done in comparison?

Tackles

Urlacher

2009 3

2008 79

2007 92

2006 92

2005 97

2004 52

2003 87

2002 115

2001 89

Briggs

2009 93

2008 90

2007 83

2006 109

2005 83

2004 102

2003 65

Urlacher's prime years were with a very good defense. Players on good defensive teams get less tackles because they get more 3 and outs and turnovers.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
Don't get me wrong. I like Urlacher. It's just that I think that he's overhyped by quite a few Bears fans.

Jeremy, you could not be more off. It's actually cool and fashionable to hate on Brian Urlacher and say he's been overrated, but just look at how the defense on the whole collapses without him in the lineup. He calls the defensive audibles, he takes away anything over the middle, and when healthy this season will prove how good he is again.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 07:42 PM)
Jeremy, you could not be more off. It's actually cool and fashionable to hate on Brian Urlacher and say he's been overrated, but just look at how the defense on the whole collapses without him in the lineup. He calls the defensive audibles, he takes away anything over the middle, and when healthy this season will prove how good he is again.

I said that people in the media and many fans over hype him - he's not overrated.

I think that he is a very good LB and one of the top 10-15 Bears defenders over the last 30 years.

I don't believe that he's overrated, just undeserving of all the extra hype surrounding him.

I recently bought my first Sox jersey, and opted for a black Buehrle one. Before that I've just bought jersey shirts (AJ, Paulie and Thome). I get a good deal on replica jerseys from a friend who knows a guy who gets them for $50 each. I plan on picking up a home Thomas one next; and would like a road grey one too to have one of each (like someone else was saying). If I made the decision today, I'd go with Q but I probably won't pull trigger until mid-season in case Beckham moves above him on my man crush list.

I only buy shirts (Beckham, Konerko, Buehrle). I only bought shirts that could have players forever identified with the club (ie: Buehrle, not Swisher). I only bought Gordon's when Kenny said he was untouchable.

I'm considering buying jerseys though...I'd probably get a road Beckham, black Buehrle, and home Konerko if I did.

What does everyone think of custom shirts (not jerseys)? I've been considering getting a custom SHAPIRO #0 shirt for the hell of it, but haven't because I have an odd feeling someone would be called up and pick #0 (My rules: Has to be a number thats not retired or currently in use).

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)

2009 Injured

2004 Injured

Tackles

Urlacher

2009 3

2008 79

2007 92

2006 92

2005 97

2004 52

2003 87

2002 115

2001 89

Briggs

2009 93

2008 90

2007 83

2006 109

2005 83

2004 102

2003 65

First and foremost, tackles alone isn't necessarily an indicator of someone's ability and impact, just like K's alone don't indicate someone's ability as a hitter. Briggs is cursed because he's had to live in Urlacher's shadow since day 1, even if he has been just as good, if not better. That's not to say that Briggs hasn't gotten any recognition, because he has. When its all said and done, I have a feeling both guys will be remembered well.

I have found that you have to be careful when purchasing jerseys on Ebay. There are some good deals out there, but most are fakes. It depends on how much you want to spend on one also. The new Majestic replicas are great with the two tone style lettering. Do a search on google for mlb.com coupon codes and you can usually save like 15 to 20% (30% around Christmas time). If you are into throwbacks, Mitchell and Ness has some great specials around Christmas also, otherwise you are looking at 250-300$.

Edited by Soxpride724

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
The Bo Jackson one I got was brand new, still in the original bag with the size sticker on it, the tags on the jersey, it's beautiful. Guess I got lucky.

I hate to break your heart, but the Mitchell and Ness White Sox Bo Jackson jersey, is one of the biggest knockoffs on Ebay, there are tons of em on there. What size was the jersey? Also, was there a hologram on the tags?

Edited by Soxpride724

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 08:51 PM)
I only buy shirts (Beckham, Konerko, Buehrle). I only bought shirts that could have players forever identified with the club (ie: Buehrle, not Swisher).

Ouch. This made me remember a tidbit I chose to forget to post early. I bought Swisher's custom "Dirty 30" shirt from his personal website in 08'. :stick

dirty30.jpg

Delinquent fans later ejected before the top of the 9th for flicking off and screaming obscenities at the Blue Jays' Alex Rios. OOPS ALL BERRIES!

That's what taught me to get Buehrle before Quentin for my first jersey: getting something that will be relevant even after the player is done with the White Sox. Buehrle in black has the no-no and Perfect game going for it. Although at this point I'd rather have the Quentin jersey shirt than the Swish' custom from that season; but you live and you learn.

Edited by ROC Sox Fan