NIT

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 06:54 PM)
I don't get not wanting to watch your team when they're playing, regardless of whether it's the NIT or they're playing some s***ty mid-major that has no chance of winning. When the Gophers made the NIT a few years ago, you bet your ass I watched our only game in it and I most certainly rooted for the Gophers. I'm not in the business of ignoring my team while they're playing, EVEN IF the games ultimately mean nothing.

I want to watch Texas Tech play in a few more games because they have everyone returning next year and still have some growing pains. Baylor took a great NIT run last year to propel into a #3 seed this year in the tourney, I'm hoping Tech can make somewhat of a similar jump.

If UNC was in the tournament, I don't really know that it would do anything for next year. Roy would continue playing the crappy upperclassmen and it wouldn't really do anything.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
I don't get not wanting to watch your team when they're playing, regardless of whether it's the NIT or they're playing some s***ty mid-major that has no chance of winning. When the Gophers made the NIT a few years ago, you bet your ass I watched our only game in it and I most certainly rooted for the Gophers. I'm not in the business of ignoring my team while they're playing, EVEN IF the games ultimately mean nothing.

I'd compare my team in the NIT to White Sox spring training games. Yeah, they are playing, but it really doesn't count and doesn't matter, so watching it really isn't something I consider to be relevant. And at least spring training games aren't a constant reminder of failure, plus there are often things like roster spots which are determined in some part by what happens in those games.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 06:49 PM)
I don't get the entitlement talk, even if I was a Northwestern or Penn State fan I wouldn't give a f*** about a tournament that literally doesn't count towards anything that no one around the country gives a damn about

That's a damn lie. I hope Northwestern gets in the NIT because they had a solid season despite losing their best player to injury before the year started and I want them to get some momentum for next year. End the year on a better note. Illinois sucked this year, stop posting about college basketball if you are going to do nothing but b****. It's enough already.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 07:39 PM)
That's a damn lie. I hope Northwestern gets in the NIT because they had a solid season despite losing their best player to injury before the year started and I want them to get some momentum for next year. End the year on a better note. Illinois sucked this year, stop posting about college basketball if you are going to do nothing but b****. It's enough already.

Got it. No more talking about college basketball because I don't care about Illinois' performance in the NIT? That doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)
Got it. No more talking about college basketball because I don't care about Illinois' performance in the NIT? That doesn't make any sense.

Ugh, that's not what I said at all. Every post for the last 3 hours has been b****ing about Illinois getting robbed (which they didn't) and then you turned to s***ting on the NIT. That's fine, but it's repetitive and whiny.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)
Ugh, that's not what I said at all. Every post for the last 3 hours has been b****ing about Illinois getting robbed (which they didn't) and then you turned to s***ting on the NIT. That's fine, but it's repetitive and whiny.

Dan I did not complain repeatedly about Illinois getting rob re-read those poses. I repeatedly said I wasn't commenting on Illinois simply Utah States bid. That was very clear.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 08:30 PM)
UNC does not deserve a bid to the NIT. I don't care who they are. They were really just flat out awful.

Can't argue there. Just found out the NIT game will be in Carmichael "auditorium", the Cameron Indoor before Cameron Indoor. Should be an awesome atmosphere.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
My view on the NIT is that I'm not going to really care if Illinois loses or wins the whole thing but if Illinois is playing in basketball or football I will be watching and hoping they win.

Well, I'll watch them play just in hope of seeing Brandon Paul get some minutes and do something special. Honestly, I think the more games they play the better, if only to speed up Paul's development.

I'm glad the Illini get a few more games as it could only help them for next season and I hope they win it all. That being said, its still a meaningless tournament in the end. If I'm home when the game is on, I'll probably watch some and root for them, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to watch any games like I would for the regular season. I'm sure the logistics weren't feasible, but I wish they could have played the first game at Huff Hall, instead of heading out to NY.

As far as not receiving an at-large bid, all I know is that on a neutral court we lost to f***ing Bradley & Utah. Two or three weeks ago, a top bubble contender with a very similar resume came into Champaign and thoroughly dominated the Illini for 33 minutes. Another frantic late game comeback made it only a two-point loss, but they didn't really show up to a big game at home. Congrats to Minnesota for getting the wins they needed and earning a bid. Florida & Utah State may or may not have been more deserving of a bid than Illinois, but the Illini had every chance in the world to lock up a bid and blew it, so I can't complain about not being picked.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 11:23 PM)
That W&M v UNC game was awesome.

The ending to the Jacksonville-Arizona State game was better. JU was down 5 with 20 seconds to go and came back to win on a bank shot 3 with 2 seconds left.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
I'm shocked that Davis and DMac are off to terrible starts. I never saw that coming.

I've tried to refrain from internet flaming questioning people's intensity, but this is ridiculous. Illinois clearly thinks they are too good to be playing Stonybrook and so are getting their asses handed to them. I hope they lose by 40. Something is wrong with a team and a coach that doesn't understand what this game was going to be like.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 08:16 PM)
I've tried to refrain from internet flaming questioning people's intensity, but this is ridiculous. Illinois clearly thinks they are too good to be playing Stonybrook and so are getting their asses handed to them. I hope they lose by 40. Something is wrong with a team and a coach that doesn't understand what this game was going to be like.

DMac and Davis are such talented players but Davis has an incredible amount of mental lapses and DMac is among the worst defensive players I have ever seen. And when those guys are your team leaders it leads to a lot of inconsistency.