NIT

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
DMac and Davis are such talented players but Davis has an incredible amount of mental lapses and DMac is among the worst defensive players I have ever seen. And when those guys are your team leaders it leads to a lot of inconsistency.

DMac's defense is one of the reasons it's hard to believe next year's team will be much better. A starting 5 of MD-DMac-DJ-Tis-Richmond is not likely to be a good defensive team. And turnovers will probably still be a problem, too. They *really* could use another point guard.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
DMac's defense is one of the reasons it's hard to believe next year's team will be much better. A starting 5 of MD-DMac-DJ-Tis-Richmond is not likely to be a good defensive team. And turnovers will probably still be a problem, too. They *really* could use another point guard.

Turnovers haven't been that big of a problem this year. Paul and DJ are likely to really improve their ball handling and that is a strength of Richmond's game. Richmond is also really good defensively when he wants to be and Paul should be a really good defender by next year. DMac has to at least become mediocre on that end though. His defense is embarrassing.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
UNC Miss St was as good a game as you will see.

I just never could figure out why MSU's offense ignored Varnardo all season long, he actually has some nice moves to compliment his dominant defense. If I had a pick somewhere 12-20 in the draft he would be an ideal choice for me.

I really hope the addition of Richmond, Head, Leonard and Bertrand bring an attitude adjustment to this team. Richmond especially since he'll probably get the majority of bench time (if not starting time). That's the one aspect this team is missing. They can shoot, they can play decent enough defense, but they lack the killer instinct. They were up on so many teams this year but let them get back in the game.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
I really hope the addition of Richmond, Head, Leonard and Bertrand bring an attitude adjustment to this team. Richmond especially since he'll probably get the majority of bench time (if not starting time). That's the one aspect this team is missing. They can shoot, they can play decent enough defense, but they lack the killer instinct. They were up on so many teams this year but let them get back in the game.

I wonder if Weber would ever go to a lineup of McCamey, Richardson, Paul, Richmond, and Davis at times just to increase pace of games and cause matchup problems

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
I wonder if Weber would ever go to a lineup of McCamey, Richardson, Paul, Richmond, and Davis at times just to increase pace of games and cause matchup problems

I think it'll be the same starting 5 as this year, with Richmond being the first guy off the bench. He can play the 1-4 really, so he can spell a guard or forward depending on the situation. I wonder what happens to guys like Griffey and Cole. Are they now lost to the bottom of the bench, or is he going to play 9-10 guys a game?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
I would love for somebody to explain to me why the NIT and other loser tournaments exist. Well, I guess that's a dumb question since the answer is they must make money. But other than that, talk about pointless. This isn't like football where going to the crap.com bowl at least gets you more practice, which is of the essence in that sport.

What a shame the NIT dropped this far. For all you youngins' starting in 1938, teams dreamed of Madison Square Garden in the spring. From then on into the 1970s The NATIONAL INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT (for emphasis) was THE Tourny. However, the NCAA decided they wanted to make some money and managed TV much better.

So in answer to your question, the NIT (loser tourny) exists because they are too stuburn to give up. They probably dream of the day when teams passed up the NCAA to play in the bigger tourny, the NIT.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
What a shame the NIT dropped this far. For all you youngins' starting in 1938, teams dreamed of Madison Square Garden in the spring. From then on into the 1970s The NATIONAL INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT (for emphasis) was THE Tourny. However, the NCAA decided they wanted to make some money and managed TV much better.

So in answer to your question, the NIT (loser tourny) exists because they are too stuburn to give up. They probably dream of the day when teams passed up the NCAA to play in the bigger tourny, the NIT.

:lolhitting :lolhitting

You are right that the NIT used to be the big tourney, but this post still cracks me up. I haven't watched a single minute of this tournament yet btw, including Illinois. I actually forgot they played last night until I heard the final on the radio this morning.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
:lolhitting :lolhitting

You are right that the NIT used to be the big tourney, but this post still cracks me up. I haven't watched a single minute of this tournament yet btw, including Illinois. I actually forgot they played last night until I heard the final on the radio this morning.

Pretty much all the NCAA has to do is add one more full round and it will kill the NIT. The proposal comes up every few years.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
Pretty much all the NCAA has to do is add one more full round and it will kill the NIT. The proposal comes up every few years.

Expansion is eventually coming. It will kill the NIT and do a great deal of damage to the NCAA Tournament long term IMO, so I don't understand why they are doing it. It might make money in the very short term, but in the long run, it will most certainly not.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
Expansion is eventually coming. It will kill the NIT and do a great deal of damage to the NCAA Tournament long term IMO, so I don't understand why they are doing it. It might make money in the very short term, but in the long run, it will most certainly not.

Why not just do the NIT BEFORE the tournament starts. Get rid of the stupid play-in game (which is a joke really), add a tournament which'll draw a huge audience from the bubble teams (as well as teams that are already in the tournament just to see where they'd land), and be done with it.

An extra 30 something teams would be crazy. That's WAY too many. I like the idea of having the NIT determine the last 4 in the field of 64.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)

Not that I'm in favor of changing things, but I don't think it will really do much damage to the NCAA Tourney.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
Not that I'm in favor of changing things, but I don't think it will really do much damage to the NCAA Tourney.

Brackets are almost impossible to do now, imagine trying one with 32 more teams. Additionally, if we know the NCAA at all, we know they'd take advantage of the new format by designing it to protect the big boys. Considering brackets and underdogs are the two biggest things that make the tournament big IMO, expansion would be a disaster.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
Why not just do the NIT BEFORE the tournament starts. Get rid of the stupid play-in game (which is a joke really), add a tournament which'll draw a huge audience from the bubble teams (as well as teams that are already in the tournament just to see where they'd land), and be done with it.

An extra 30 something teams would be crazy. That's WAY too many. I like the idea of having the NIT determine the last 4 in the field of 64.

Too many games for those teams who make to play. That would be the ADs/University Presidents' arguments. Miss too much class, etc.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
Tisdale's 2nd half was quite comical. 2 missed layups, and then fouling out about 10 seconds after being brought back in the game. Dayton's too quick for him anyways....if you didn't hear Jimmy Dykes say that 2,000 times.

Jimmy Dykes is Mike Patrick bad as an announcer. I have no idea how some of these guys have jobs. No effort at all from the juniors tonight. And at least if Illinois loses I will never have to watch Keller play basketball again.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 02:39 AM)
Jimmy Dykes is Mike Patrick bad as an announcer. I have no idea how some of these guys have jobs. No effort at all from the juniors tonight. And at least if Illinois loses I will never have to watch Keller play basketball again.

You see Keller give Weber a bad look after being removed following his tip dunk? Everything I've heard about Keller is that he's just a huge cancer in the locker room.