Yes, Iowa to Fire Lick

He's a good mid-major coach, but boy did he suck at Iowa. He couldn't recruit for crap and couldn't hold his recruits either. I wonder who the heck Iowa will be able to pull though?

Glad to see we didn't stick with suckitude. Clearly, Alford was better than many Hawkeye fans wanted to admit he was.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
Best. Decision. Ever.

He's terrible.

His offense just didn't work in a major conference. And than his inability to recruit and even keep recruits at Iowa was even worse.

My only question is who in the hell are they going to hire as a replacement. My odd ball, probably stupid thought, Tim Floyd? He might be a little dirty but he's a hell of a coach who has had success in the state of Iowa.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
I assume the first guy they will call will be Bruce Pearl. Pearl will say thanks, but not right now.

Than they will turn there attention to Billy Gillespie.

No, I want Billy.

And yea, I assume they'll try Pearl.

This is the best day for Iowa basketball since they last won the Big Ten Tourney. Lickliter was a disaster. I thought he would be halfway decent, but if you have zero charisma, cannot recruit and like to play a style where scoring 60 points is playing fast, you're lucky anyone shows up to watch you play, and you're not going to attract players that will help you win anything worth winning. There are some who say he wasn't given a fair chance, but even with a decent recruiting class, they were going to suck next year, and if rumors are accurate, Gatens and Fuller told Barta if Lick stayed they were gone. Its pretty sad when decent but not great players have that much pull in your program, but as an Iowa alum, thank God they do.

I wonder who they go after. I'm sure Pearl is #1 and he'll probably say no. I wonder if they really want an assistant from a Kentucky or Kansas. It seems to me if they somehow turn the Hawks around, they would be destined to leave. The guy I would really like is Majerus but if they somehow got him, it would probably be a very short run. They need someone who can bring in a player that isn't from Iowa or has Iowa ties.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
Take Lowery plz thanks

That^

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
He is on Depaul's short list.

Supposedly, I'll believe it when I see it though. There's absolutely no reason anyone in the world right now would want Lowery, so I've heard all the Depaul rumors but I just can't believe them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)
This is the best day for Iowa basketball since they last won the Big Ten Tourney. Lickliter was a disaster. I thought he would be halfway decent, but if you have zero charisma, cannot recruit and like to play a style where scoring 60 points is playing fast, you're lucky anyone shows up to watch you play, and you're not going to attract players that will help you win anything worth winning. There are some who say he wasn't given a fair chance, but even with a decent recruiting class, they were going to suck next year, and if rumors are accurate, Gatens and Fuller told Barta if Lick stayed they were gone. Its pretty sad when decent but not great players have that much pull in your program, but as an Iowa alum, thank God they do.

I wonder who they go after. I'm sure Pearl is #1 and he'll probably say no. I wonder if they really want an assistant from a Kentucky or Kansas. It seems to me if they somehow turn the Hawks around, they would be destined to leave. The guy I would really like is Majerus but if they somehow got him, it would probably be a very short run. They need someone who can bring in a player that isn't from Iowa or has Iowa ties.

Exactly, they will have to get a coach that can recruit out of state. I'd think that the list would include:

Bruce Pearl (loves Iowa, but ain't leaving his cushy gig at UT)

Tim Floyd (depending on his NCAA issues)

Billy Gillespie

Lon Kruger (might like Nevada too much, but he's had a lot of success as a head coach)

Pastner - Memphis might be in trouble and Iowa looked at him a bit 3 years ago. Has one hell of a recruiting class put together at Memphis though. Only makes 600K, so Iowa could throw a lot of money at him and he might be able to pull his recruits with him.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)
That^

Supposedly, I'll believe it when I see it though. There's absolutely no reason anyone in the world right now would want Lowery, so I've heard all the Depaul rumors but I just can't believe them.

I think Lick to Depaul would make a whole lot of sense. He's a great mid-major coach. Not a good major conference coach.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
I think Lick to Depaul would make a whole lot of sense. He's a great mid-major coach. Not a good major conference coach.

LOL, your statements contradict each other

I figure worse case, Iowa hires Keno Davis. Former Hawkeye, young, pretty charasmatic, and has done a solid job. Not an exciting hire though so I'm hoping they can hit it big.

I'm also a realist and our program isn't what it was a few years ago. They do have a new practice facility being built though and they are 4th in big ten spend on basketball which should be enticing to plenty of coaches.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 11:35 AM)
Their mistake. I don't think Depaul and think major school/power conference.

That may be their mistake, but a bigger mistake would be sticking someone who is a good midmajor but bad major conference coach at the top. Depaul needs to think big or they will remain the perennial bottomdweller in the big east.

Hopefully when they think big, they think big and round and hire Chris Lowery :D

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
I figure worse case, Iowa hires Keno Davis. Former Hawkeye, young, pretty charasmatic, and has done a solid job. Not an exciting hire though so I'm hoping they can hit it big.

I'm also a realist and our program isn't what it was a few years ago. They do have a new practice facility being built though and they are 4th in big ten spend on basketball which should be enticing to plenty of coaches.

Iowa might as well make a run at Scott Drew and see if he's interested.