Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
Dillard and Booker now both OFFICIALLY gone from SIU.

Both had their good and their bad. Sucks Dillard is going. I know for a fact he was regretting signing with us his senior year at HF but tried to tough it out.

Yep, he wanted to go to Oregon or go to prep school, but he got talked into going to SIU (Dillard, that is)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 6, 2010 -> 07:36 AM)
Wear twins transferring from UNC. Good in the long run, but really crappy for next year.

Looks like Kadeem Jack, a long 6'8 shot blocker, with a ton of upside will join the Heels to help replace the Wear twins departure. He was planing on going to prep school, but not that his "dream school" Carolina has coma a calling it looks like Mr. Jack will be headed to Carolina.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 9, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
Good to see that McCamey and Davis feel playing their season year at Illinois is a better decision than being undrafted. I actually thought McCamey might stay in the draft. Illinois has no excuses to not be a very solid team this upcoming season now.

I've said it on here before that while I support Weber, if they aren't a legit top 15 type team next year it is time for him to go. I'm not saying he has to make the Sweet 16 because you just never know what will happen come tourney time but they need to be a top 4 seed type team the entire season.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 10, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
A more reasonable stance would be to hope that Illinois is one of the top 5 teams in the Big 10 next year and makes the tournament.

Disagree entirely, they finished in the top 5 of the Big 10 this year, lose absolutely nothing, add a McD AA, a top 30 C, and Crandall Head who is as talented as either Richmond or Leonard. Then when you factor in the usual freshmen to sophomore jumps for guys like Griffey and Paul there is no excuse for that team not to be a top 4 seed type team.

Well regardless of finish, Illinois was the 6th best team when it came to the tournament committee.

Of the 5 teams that made it over Illinois, only OSU/Wisconsin may be worse. Of those 2 teams, OSU brings in amazing players, and Wisconsin has proven to be one of the most consistent teams in the Big 10 year in and year out.

To just assume that Illinois is going to jump MSU/Purdue/OSU/Wisconsin/Minnesota is drinking the kool aid. Let alone to assume that Illinois is going to be a top 4 seed.

That is just in the Big 10, we arent even talking about other conferences. So unless the Big 10 has 5 of the top 16 teams (unlikely as they will all have to play each other and will give each other losses) it is a real stretch to say that the measuring stick of Illinois this year is a top 4 seed.

Maybe I will be wrong, but there is just nothing statistically to suggest that Illinois will make a much bigger improvement than the other teams listed. In fact Id be worried about NU. (That one is for Zoom)

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 10, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
Well regardless of finish, Illinois was the 6th best team when it came to the tournament committee.

Of the 5 teams that made it over Illinois, only OSU/Wisconsin may be worse. Of those 2 teams, OSU brings in amazing players, and Wisconsin has proven to be one of the most consistent teams in the Big 10 year in and year out.

To just assume that Illinois is going to jump MSU/Purdue/OSU/Wisconsin/Minnesota is drinking the kool aid. Let alone to assume that Illinois is going to be a top 4 seed.

That is just in the Big 10, we arent even talking about other conferences. So unless the Big 10 has 5 of the top 16 teams (unlikely as they will all have to play each other and will give each other losses) it is a real stretch to say that the measuring stick of Illinois this year is a top 4 seed.

Maybe I will be wrong, but there is just nothing statistically to suggest that Illinois will make a much bigger improvement than the other teams listed. In fact Id be worried about NU. (That one is for Zoom)

I think OSU/Purdue/MSU are likely all top 10 type teams and as I've said before those are my top 3 teams in the Big 10 with Illinois finishing 4th. I also think the Big 10 is going to be the best conference in America next year and that up to 7 teams could get tourney bids. Freshmen to sophomore is usually the biggest jump and Illinois had a lot more freshmen minutes than Minnesota and Wisconsin which are the two teams I'm expecting them to jump. Minny lost Westbrook and Johnson who were two of their best players and didn't have a recruiting class near as good as Illinois and also had far fewer freshmen minutes. Wisconsin loses Hughes and Bohannon and the only guards they have to replace them are two freshmen, neither of whom are particularly highly regarded. I like Jordan Taylor and love Leuer but there is very little outside shooting on that team unless someone makes a shocking jump and I'm not sold on their guard play outside of Taylor. Wisconsin is very consistent and they will be good as they always are next year but I would be surprised if they finish higher than Illinois.

I think it will be hard for Illinois to pass Wisconsin in the Big 10. The biggest reason is that Wisconsin is almost automatic at the Kohl Center. If they go 8-1 there, that means that they generally only have to go .500 in away games to be in the upper part of the Big 10. Last year they were able to do pretty well and they lost their best player for a large part of conference play (Leur).

Their biggest loss is going to be Bohannon who provided a lot of stability at the guard spot. I know that Hughes is the bigger name, but in my opinion he was both Wisconsin's best and worst player.

In terms of shooting Wisconsin has allegedly added some sharp shooters in Dukan and Brust. They also will have Rob Wilson starting this year and he has looked really good offensively in his limited time the previous 2 years.

I just dont see why Wisconsin, who beat MSU/Purdue/OSU will all of a sudden drop drastically. In fact they almost beat Purdue 2x last year (once without Leur).

Its mainly going to depend on which of the top teams fair better against the other top teams. This year Illinois dropped 2 games against Purdue and OSU. They are going to need to at worst split with those teams.

Well see what happens, but I think expecting a 4 seed (which is how this all started, that if Illinois doesnt get a 4 seed its a disappointment) is some what ambitious.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 10, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
I think it will be hard for Illinois to pass Wisconsin in the Big 10. The biggest reason is that Wisconsin is almost automatic at the Kohl Center. If they go 8-1 there, that means that they generally only have to go .500 in away games to be in the upper part of the Big 10. Last year they were able to do pretty well and they lost their best player for a large part of conference play (Leur).

Their biggest loss is going to be Bohannon who provided a lot of stability at the guard spot. I know that Hughes is the bigger name, but in my opinion he was both Wisconsin's best and worst player.

In terms of shooting Wisconsin has allegedly added some sharp shooters in Dukan and Brust. They also will have Rob Wilson starting this year and he has looked really good offensively in his limited time the previous 2 years.

I just dont see why Wisconsin, who beat MSU/Purdue/OSU will all of a sudden drop drastically. In fact they almost beat Purdue 2x last year (once without Leur).

Its mainly going to depend on which of the top teams fair better against the other top teams. This year Illinois dropped 2 games against Purdue and OSU. They are going to need to at worst split with those teams.

Well see what happens, but I think expecting a 4 seed (which is how this all started, that if Illinois doesnt get a 4 seed its a disappointment) is some what ambitious.

Well, technically they dropped 3 games to OSU....

And I dont see ILL jumping Wisco either, I like Richmond and Richardson, but the rest of the team is meh to me. I dont see them being able to handle some of the better post players in the league, and I think their wing play will still be a step behind the top teams.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 10, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
Well, technically they dropped 3 games to OSU....

And I dont see ILL jumping Wisco either, I like Richmond and Richardson, but the rest of the team is meh to me.

You don't like the player who may be the best returning player in the league?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 10, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)

Except for when Bruce Weber strolls into town.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 9, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
Looks like MSU @Duke and UNC @Illinois next year for the challenge.

Yep

Mich St. @ Duke

Ohio St. @ Florida St.

Purdue @ Virginia Tech

N.C. State @ Wisconsin

North Carolina @ Illinois

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 10, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
You don't like the player who may be the best returning player in the league?

I assume you are talking about McCamey? I disagree that he is the best player in the league. And I think he's a good player, but I dont think they crack the top 3 in the conference until he leaves.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 10, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
I've said it on here before that while I support Weber, if they aren't a legit top 15 type team next year it is time for him to go. I'm not saying he has to make the Sweet 16 because you just never know what will happen come tourney time but they need to be a top 4 seed type team the entire season.

Does the school even have the money to replace him if this season goes poorly? I know the basketball program at U of I makes a ton of money, but the school is broke right now, just like every other college in this state. And considering he's recruiting pretty well, they have an excuse to keep him around.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 11, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
Does the school even have the money to replace him if this season goes poorly? I know the basketball program at U of I makes a ton of money, but the school is broke right now, just like every other college in this state. And considering he's recruiting pretty well, they have an excuse to keep him around.

I think you give Weber a chance to make it with the players he has coming in. Let these upperclassmen leave and watch him build a good team with some serious talent.