GAME THREAD: 4/8, CLE v CHW, 7:10pm CSN+

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)
Ya, but everone is just assuming it is easy to steal a base. Pierre is awesome and I think you might give him a shot to steal the base, but I understand the call too. It isn't just easy to steal a base, no matter how fast or good you are at it. And you can't just steal them on command either.

that's my main reason for not disputing the bunt call, even though i personally would probably just let gordon swing away

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So let's explore what could have happened there:

Pierre on 1st, None Out.

Pierre steals second, None out.

Beckham bunts him to 3rd. One Out.

IBB Quentin

Paulie Sac Fly, we win.

stupid.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)
It didn't work, so it's the wrong move.

I still think it's on the players more than Oz but since it didn't work, Oz gets an F for the move.

that doesn't make it the wrong move, just means that it didn't work this time

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 04:30 AM)
Jones could have picked everybody up and been a hero with a single there. What's with the fly ball? Didn't he used to play in the NL?

Have you ever seen Andruw Jones hit? He's not exactly a finesse hitter.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)
that doesn't make it the wrong move, just means that it didn't work this time

Nope, still the wrong move. If we're going to bunt with our second best hitter, i suggest we be prepared to lose a lot of games.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 04:32 AM)
He may not be a finesse hitter, but is he capable of drilling a game winning single?

Stephen Hawking is capable of a game winning single. When you start having to come up with these types scenarios, then you might need to realize it was a silly call.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
Ya, but everone is just assuming it is easy to steal a base. Pierre is awesome and I think you might give him a shot to steal the base, but I understand the call too. It isn't just easy to steal a base, no matter how fast or good you are at it. And you can't just steal them on command either.

If you want to think about the %ages...from what I've read, the odds of scoring 1 run with a runner on 2b and 1 out is typically around 50%, slightly higher than the odds of scoring 1 run with a runner on 2b and 0 outs. If Pierre is a 75% stolen base guy, then he gives you a 75% chance of a runner on 2b and no outs. That has to push up the "scoring 1 run" rate by a lot.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:33 PM)
I dont like the bunt because I'd rather see run and hit called but why is every assuming there is a 100% chance JP steals 2nd?

I don't like the bunt because their are 27 outs in a ballgame and every one of them is precious.

It might have been a silly call, but what manager would not have bunted there?

I guess maybe somebody would have sent Juan on the first pitch, then bunted if he was successful on the first pitch steal.